★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: X-Plane racing is out!

03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
X-Plane racing is out!

X-Plane racing is out. has anyone tried i was pretty keen on this. i been looking forward to military planes so i might pick this one up.

[App Store Link, $9.99]

Quote:
This is X-Plane RACING, the FIRST-EVER X-Plane (for any platform, including desktop!) with timed race-courses that let you race against the computer, or your friends, in multiplayer-mode! This is the most polished and optimized version of X-Plane for iPhone yet, with a LOT of testing done on the AI and multiplayer modes!

Of course, as we always do with these types of features, we have also made multiplayer a FREE upgrade to ALL the X-Plane flavors... but we think it is the most FUN in RACING, where you can race through courses against your friends and compare times at the end!!!

So here is how it works: X-Plane RACING comes with 4 regions (for now.. of course we will add more in free upgrades, same as always) and 4 planes (for now.. of course we will add more in free upgrades, same as always) with a race course for each plane in each region... a total of 16 race-courses. These course are presented as 'highway-in-the-sky' 'hoops' that you fly though, racing against the clock, right alongside the AI plane. X-Plane RACING will show you the time through the course, and number of hoops missed, at the end of the race. Can you fly faster than the AI plane? Some courses race down river-valleys.. others through mountain ranges, other through clouds. Some through snow-covered rocky mountains, others through desert. My favorite is the F-15 course in Anchorage, Alaska... can you handle it? To our knowledge, this is the most realistic flight physics for any aerial racing sim ever done. Pulling these peppy WW-2 fighters, or massive jets, through the hoops in the Mach 0.5 to Mach 1.25 range at low altitude through mountains and canyons is... special.

Then, once you get the hang of racing against the computer, it is time for MULTIPLAYER: Race against your friends! Who can get through the courses fastest? Both of your times are tracked and posted. This works on both iPhone AND iPodTouch... you just need to be on the same wireless network for the phones to see each other.

Racing, you can choose from the:

F-4-U Corsair: A tricky hi-speed fighter of World-War-2. Being a tail-dragger landing gear configuration, it will be VERY tricky to land. You must land in a full-stall, nose-high attitude. (BE SURE TO HOLD FULL-AFT STICK ON THE TAKEOFF ROLL IN THIS PLANE TO HOLD THE TAILWHEEL DOWN FOR STEERING AUTHORITY).

P-51 Mustang: The premier fighter of World-War-2 .Being a tail-dragger landing gear configuration, it will be VERY tricky to land. You must land in a full-stall, nose-high attitude. (BE SURE TO HOLD FULL-AFT STICK ON THE TAKEOFF ROLL IN THIS PLANE TO HOLD THE TAILWHEEL DOWN FOR STEERING AUTHORITY).

F-4 Phantom: The King of the 'Jet-Age', this plane is amazing to take through the desert canyons at Mach 1.25.

F-15 Eagle: This powerful machine is the pinnacle of pilot-friendly jet-power... IF you can handle Mach 1.25 between the mountain peaks of Alaska... can you?

We also have some new tweaks in here like tire-skidding sound that is accurately hooked up the street-racing-accurate tire-physics model, visible afterburners, and a basic autopilot... all cool stuff that is also in the FREE 9.08 upgrade to ALL the X-Plane flavors, same as always!

Last edited by salsamd; 03-03-2009 at 01:48 PM.
03-03-2009, 05:42 AM

03-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Multiplayer, WiFi only?

X-Plane owners should be happy now with all their updates.

Bet there will be at least 5 new "which X-Plane..." threads throughout the day.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
03-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Finally, an x-plane GAME

Now they just need to add dogfighting and it will be huge
03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Dogfighting would be sweet and with addition like this 'racing' element we can only hope it goes one step further
03-03-2009, 06:25 AM
*purchased
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Can someone tell me if you can turn off the "hoops" to use Racing as just a flying sim?? Or do you have to simply ignore the hoops to get a non-racing sim?

(Yes, I'm wondering if X-Plane Racing is *also* just plain old X-Plane?!? Seems like you'd get two sims for the price of one!)

Thanks in advance!

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
03-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosui View Post
Can someone tell me if you can turn off the "hoops" to use Racing as just a flying sim?? Or do you have to simply ignore the hoops to get a non-racing sim?

(Yes, I'm wondering if X-Plane Racing is *also* just plain old X-Plane?!? Seems like you'd get two sims for the price of one!)

Thanks in advance!
Same question...

Gamecenter:1337brian
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosui View Post

Thanks in advance!
not reallly..............................ask austin. but if u want that u could have gotten extreme. i'll ask him anyways................

i dont think austin would give u two for one though
03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
loving the game so far. and dont forget; i gave u guys the exclusive!!