★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: rotonic (action puzzle game) launch announce & promo codes

07-25-2010, 02:32 PM
rotonic (action puzzle game) launch announce & promo codes

I'd like to announce the launch of our first game for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad... rotonic. I'll not repeat the blurb here as you can find it on the iTunes store. However, in summary, it's a simple to pick up puzzle game... it's got colour matching at its heart, but I think there's a lot that is unique in the way that the game works. There's quite a lot of strategy that can be developed to get big scores, and we've certainly sound it to be very addictive whilst developing and testing it...

Really interested in any feedback... it's a first game for me as a developer in the iPhone world, although I've been working on games on the major consoles for many years as part of larger teams. I've really enjoyed getting the chance to be able to develop a whole smaller game for once.

Anyway, I've got some promo codes - if you could let me know if you've used one I'll update the list.

Richard.

Edit - second batch of codes added as the first ones went very quick & still interested in more feedback, thanks for looking!

FYFJMEM6R7RR
AAAWRY3R9TRJ
KK9Y9TWME7FE
AFHXP3MWJNKP
YT9JJTWN9KRK
7TF6T3WNF7H3
TE6EMT4FMLHK
XYAXHLRXYLYJ
WP7XLYHJLJLP
KP9RW3PHKPK3

Last edited by parasolgames; 07-27-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added new batch of promo codes
07-25-2010, 02:35 PM
AH4TMWMNHEWE thank you!

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!

07-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Not sure exactly what its about - but I love puzzlers and thank you for letting us take a look.

I got RTAKHXF67P76

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Redeemed AKA7XJ3W966T
Thank you!
07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
To make things look a bit better....

07-25-2010, 02:55 PM
You've got to match blocks in groups of 6 colours or more - in a bit of a twist on the normal way of things, the blocks fall in a straight line whilst the playing area is rotated and flipped by swiping and tapping the screen. The playing area expands and contracts as pieces land... you'll really need to try it to see I think.

The real depth comes from achieving big scores - there's some interesting strategy to develop to get big groups of blocks, or to take advantage of the scoring multipliers, which give much bigger scores for consecutive block removals.

Oh - and importantly, listen out for the little "click" that happens when blocks land, which signifies that the block has locked into place. Before this happens (there's a fraction of a second after the block lands), it can be slid into place, so you can get blocks into awkward gaps quite nicely & smoothly with it.

The other thing I'd say is that you can control it by touching the screen anywhere - personally, I find it easier to use my thumb quite high up on the screen, but others have been happier using their finger on the low down rotating rings directly.

As the game proceeds the variety & speed of the falling block increases. There's also some bonus modes (unlocked with larger scores) that provide a further twist on things.

Thanks for having a look!

Richard.
07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Great unique match 6 or more game
07-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Some impressions after just a couple of games.

Just to clarify from the desciption above - it says 3 regular game modes and 3 bonus modes - from what I could tell there is a regular game mode with 3 difficulty settings, and I am assuming (since I have not unlocked the bonus mode) that is true for the bonus mode.

I played on an iPad scaled up. The app is very polished. The sounds and effects go perfectly with the game. The inner wheel acts sort of like a spring and so the pieces as they fill up sort of compress and when it needs to, the whole inner wheel will shift down, and all the pieces get a little smaller to accomodate the new pieces coming down - a little disconcerting at first, but after once or twice you get used to it.

The scores (as you can see on the screen shot) are nothing for just getting 6 blocks together. You really have to get combos, and more important large groups of blocks in order to get any sizeable scores.

The blocks of 3 are random starting with the blue gray and then progressing to the green / light green. I did not get past that color combo.

Planning is going to be key here - as you can see, those blocks of 3 falling from above lock in and they don't break apart - so you can have a block of 3 attached to a wall and effectively suspended. So, when the blocks disappear - if nothing is holding a block, it will fall to another lower level, but if anything is still there - than the blocks will remain at higher levels making the management of space critical.

As you can see you have 4 rings, and the 5th ring does not count into the score and will not lock blocks even if it would form a 6 with blocks below it - so as the action speeds up, it becomes a bit like tetris at higher speeds - you hope and pray that something will match up and create some combos to free up some space below you.

There is a nice tutorial included that show the basics. Rotation and flipping the inner wheel are accomplished anywhere - as noted, but still a nice touch. There is another mode that is locked until one gets a high enough score. I got 1670, and the mode is unlocked at 2000 - and I know that I did pretty well to get that 1670 so the bonus mode will take a bit of playing a practice to unlock - or perhaps some luck....

Overall, thiis is a fun matching type game - a new mechanic on the matching with emphasis on space management and planning ahead to get big combos and high scores. The app looks great, the controls work well, the sounds meld well so this is an easy recommended if you like the tetris type formula with a different twist to it. It has Open Feint and acheivements so global high scores are also in there. Give it a try!

Last edited by pluto6; 07-25-2010 at 06:40 PM.
07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Codes are all taken.

The graphics shown on the screens are crisp and clean. I'm curious about the animation speed and frame rate. Slow frames could kill a game no matter how nice they look. However, the eye-candy is very tempting. I've about had my fill of the "Match X" but this does pique enough interest to leave me on the fence.

A vid with gameplay would be nice, moving forward...

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Codes are all taken.

The graphics shown on the screens are crisp and clean. I'm curious about the animation speed and frame rate. Slow frames could kill a game no matter how nice they look. However, the eye-candy is very tempting. I've about had my fill of the "Match X" but this does pique enough interest to leave me on the fence.

A vid with gameplay would be nice, moving forward...
I did not note any problems with animation or frame rate issues - although I'll be the first to admit that people who are "picky" about that will complain about apps that I feel look fine - so a video may help you out. I can tell you that any of my matching misfires were not due to framerate issues - they were due to clumsy fingers and poor planning.