★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: AppStore Refresh, Speculation

03-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Send a message via AIM to jshmrsn
AppStore Refresh, Speculation

It looks like Apple has been paying attention to the recent wave of high quality games. The AppStore front page has been refreshed giving many spots to a hard-hitting set of fresh releases, such as Zen Bound, Sway and Ancient Frog.

In addition there's a spot for the iPod Touch gaming video ads on the front page of the store (not just the gaming section). In general there seems to be an increasing focus on gaming apps.

Apple may also be announcing a refresh of the Mac line today, as rumored. Perhaps they will be gearing up for a, as rumored, premium games section announcement.

Outside of these forums I've seen a great deal of apathy towards the iPhone/Touch as a gaming platform. Most of these views seem to based on experiences with lower-quality games (which there undeniably many of). I suspect Apple is trying to counter this by pushing the top layer of extremely high quality games. Let's hope it's not too late!

In other news, Zen Bound has for the first time dropped in top-game placement (from 8 to 12). This is a good opportunity to measure the advertising value of a front-page spot on the AppStore - by seeing if Zen Bound will be able to make a comeback in placement.
[EDIT: Nvm, I was looking at overall App placement, but still interested to see how far they can jump up]

Apple must be in love with the idea of having Zen Bound in the #1 spot. Only weeks ago iFart was cemented on the top of the list, which lead many to question the validity of the iPhone as an extensive gaming/computing platform (no offense to iFart).

Well there's my late night speculation... enjoy

-Josh

Josh Rosen
Developed Above & Beyond Air Combat (Now Available!)
Developed: SciFly
Twitter: @jshmrsn

Last edited by jshmrsn; 03-03-2009 at 05:53 AM.
03-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Maybe the stats update slower here in the cold dark north, but ZB still looks to be #8 in Games, #12 in Apps in the US charts. After a brief bounce in Apps #10, it's been there for a couple of days now.

03-03-2009, 05:50 AM
No change here in the UK yet, all looks the same.

Zen Bound is #6 in the Paid Apps and #3 in Games.

I heard it was the 24th for the mac hardware.
03-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
Maybe the stats update slower here in the cold dark north, but ZB still looks to be #8 in Games, #12 in Apps in the US charts. After a brief bounce in Apps #10, it's been there for a couple of days now.
Oh you're right. I was looking at the wrong section... That's what I get for thinking to hard after working all day haha... Edited.

Josh Rosen
03-03-2009, 05:51 AM
agreed. I don't think I ever saw Zen Bound at #8 for total U.S. I think #10 yes. as Frand says. I'm sure he knows.

Regardless the premium placements in the App store should help both Sway and Zen Bound. Sway has not done as well for whatever reason.

arn
03-03-2009, 05:53 AM
personally still think the whole app istore needs a complete reworking / redesigning - for apple who supposedly are the design gurus its a nightmare to use
03-03-2009, 06:01 AM
When talking about the charts don't forget to remember that there are no store world charts. You talk about the US charts only. E. g. iFart was never in the German charts, but iDracula was worldwide #1.
03-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
agreed. I don't think I ever saw Zen Bound at #8 for total U.S. I think #10 yes. as Frand says. I'm sure he knows.

Regardless the premium placements in the App store should help both Sway and Zen Bound. Sway has not done as well for whatever reason.

arn
It seems Sway is gaining momentum. With it's #1 banner placement, and announcement of a level and element update, I would be surprised if it's not in the top 10 within a few days.

Not to discredit ZB, looks and sounds good, Frand. I still might buy....

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
03-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGewappnet View Post
When talking about the charts don't forget to remember that there are no store world charts. You talk about the US charts only. E. g. iFart was never in the German charts, but iDracula was worldwide #1.
From my personal experience U.S. sales are far greater than any other nation, so I'm in the habit of measuring by US charts. But, you bring up a good point.

Josh Rosen
03-03-2009, 06:17 AM
i am sooo glad ancient frog is getting front store attention ... it needs some hype