★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone is an awesome gaming platform!

07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
iPhone is an awesome gaming platform!

Hi all,

I've been playing a ton of games on the iPhone, ever since the platform was introduced. The games keep getting better and better! =)

In some sense, it has largely replaced a lot of my console/computer game-playing.

What do you think!?

richmlow

iPhone 4S, 32GB, iOS 6.1.3
Beta-tester for Archon, Archon: Conquest, Robot Master, Samurai, Shadow Era, Wriggle.

Last edited by richmlow; 07-25-2010 at 03:35 PM.
07-25-2010, 03:47 PM
iPhone is fun to play on but it will never replace my PS3 or Computer.

I find the iPhone is better for the casual games. If it is anything more I do not find myself playing though to the end unless it is very good. Really the only game I can see to have a 10 hour story and I would play though is Metal Gear AC!D but my wishing has yet to come true.

The whole lack of a controller really limits what kind of games I can enjoy on it which is the primary reason it will never replace the other systems. It is just like having consoles replace FPS/RTS games. I find they do not work as good on a console without a keyboard and mouse so I will stick with them on Computers. The iPhone is lacking controls so I will stick with the action/adventure games and racing games on consoles.

07-25-2010, 04:05 PM
It has definitely replaced my consoles except for specific games like Mario galaxy and professor layton. I just love the AppStore and iPhone games so much. So much better than console gaming for me.
07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
It has decent games, good to play on the go.

Replacing my console/PC? No way in hell.

'A delayed game is bad for now, but a bad game is bad forever' - Shigeru Miyamoto
07-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Definitely been playing more games on my phone than the consoles for the past couple of Months.

Invaders Must Die.
07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
iPhone / iPod platform replacing Wii, Xbox 360, PS3? Never.

iPhone / iPod platform replacing DS, PSP? Perhaps some day but we're not there just yet. In my opinion but I'm sure this is depatable amongst certain users.
07-25-2010, 06:03 PM
IPhone has done a lot to change my style of gaming in that the battle for the one device you carry around in your pocket has definitely been won by my iPhone, but it is by no means perfect..

Take playing FIFA for example on the iPhone compared to my PSP, I hate that my finger take up valuable screen space on the iPhone and for me nothing can replace the touch of a proper buttons, digital and analogue sticks as opposed to the virtual ones on the iPhone... Too many times my fingers have slipped away from the keys when paying iPhone games which makes it a little harder to play.

Pricing for iPhone games has also played a bit part... The price point is quite incredible in comparison to buying say a DS game but Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are much more stringent about game quality than Apple (in my opinion) so I feel like I play iPhone games for a much shorter amount of time all in all.

But not even the mighty iPhone 4 or an iPad could ever take away from true console gaming... Compare Real Racing (which I love) to playing Activision's Blur in Hi definition on my 46 inch TV... Sorry.. Not even close.

Now Playing: This War of Mine | Motorsport Manager | Hearthstone
07-25-2010, 06:52 PM
for me, it's been my main and pretty much only gaming device for the past year and a half. I buy everything so there's always a diverse amount of games and genres available. but anyways, yeah, the only games i play on the pc are with some friends on like omgpop, or games on the ps when my bro forces me to play.

go idevice gamesssss

Last edited by backtothis; 07-26-2010 at 10:01 AM.
07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
(most of the time)
When developers try to put traditional button-based games on iPhone, they tend to be crappy, but when developers have imagination, gems surface that completely change the way games are played, and captivate us in unique ways.

Imagine playing something like jet car stunts, tilt to live, skee-ball, pocket god, or zen bound with sticks and buttons. On second thought, don't, it just sounds to crappy.

Edit: This also explains indirectly why I love indie games much better than EA and gameloft stuff.

This is a forum dedicated to figure out what is the best way you can give Steve Jobs your money.
07-25-2010, 07:17 PM
iPhone is by far better than DS and PSP as the games for the iPhone are way better and way less money. I can go buy Assassins Creed for my DS for 30$ of 5.99 on the App Store. Also, some of the free games are better than paid games for DS/PSPs. But Xbox/PS3/PC is better I think than the iPhone.

Gamecenter ID: w Griffin w
Quote:
Originally Posted by FittyTucker View Post
In your signature you spelled weird wrong, sorry for being a speeling nazi