★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Virtual Air Hockey - The closest you'll get to real Air Hockey while keeping your fingers intact.

The most realistic Air Hockey game available on iPhone, iPod Touch and now iPad.

Features:

* Gorgeous full 3D Air Hockey table, paddles and puck.
* Players Eye View.
* Silky Smooth Gameplay even on older devices.
* Real Air Hockey sound effects.
* Achievements and Leaderboards via OpenFeint.
* 3 difficulty levels.

Coming soon:

* Enhanced visuals
* 2 player (Bluetooth / Wifi)
* New Game Modes

shsoftware's comments:
I would like to announce my first game on the App Store 'Virtual Air Hockey' for iPhone / iPod Touch and now iPad.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Features:

Universal App (works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad)
Gorgeous 3D Players Eye View (1st Person ish)
Silky Smooth Animation (solid 60fps during gameplay)
Real Air Hockey Sound Effects
Achievements and Leaderboards via OpenFeint
Developer committed to updates, enhancements and engaging with customers.

Coming Soon:

Enhanced Visuals (OpenGLES 2.0)
Multi-player mode (Bluetooth / Wifi & 2 Player single device on iPad)
07-27-2010, 06:33 PM
This is very nice. Excellent implementation of Open Feint and smooth game play.
Highly recommended for iPhone...but it crashes on iPad.
07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Picked this up earlier today really nice air hockey game a bit short on features but these are promised in an update
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grist View Post
This is very nice. Excellent implementation of Open Feint and smooth game play.
Highly recommended for iPhone...but it crashes on iPad.
Hi Grist,

Many thanks for the comments. I'm glad you are enjoying it. Strange that it is crashing on iPad for you, sorry about that.

I'm actually working on version 1.1 which brings native iPad support among a few other enhancements. I may submit an interim version to Apple by the end of this week to just add the basic iPad Support which should fix the problem. I can then go back to adding OpenGLES 2.0 and visual enhancements for version 1.1.

Claire
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Good game. However, while the puck movement is beautifully smooth, the paddle jerks a little and lags while following your finger. Not a game breaker by any means, but if this could be improved the game would be that much better. Also, a 2 player mode is sorely needed for something like this. Are there plans for one in an update?
07-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Firstly I'd like to say version 1.0.1 has now been submitted to Apple and is now in review. It will bring native iPad support as an emergency fix for the iPad crash reported about version 1.0. As I wanted to get this fix out ASAP I've not added any new features as yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Good game. However, while the puck movement is beautifully smooth, the paddle jerks a little and lags while following your finger. Not a game breaker by any means, but if this could be improved the game would be that much better. Also, a 2 player mode is sorely needed for something like this. Are there plans for one in an update?
I'll see if there is anything I can do regarding paddle smoothness. I'm getting the latest touch position each frame (60 times per second) and calculating the paddle position based on that, so I'm not sure if there is anything else I can do but I can try. I can perhaps smooth out the movement of the paddle but then you may not have quite such a direct response.

As for two player mode. I've always planned to add Bluetooth and possibly Wifi network play so they will come. As for 2 players on the same device, I always felt the iPhone screen wasn't the right aspect ratio to accurately represent the table top down, so I never really planned to support it. I will probably support it on iPad though. However if enough people request a two player mode on iPhone then I will support it, it may just require some new art resources.