Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 AM
iPad

Default Hero of Sparta II + lite - by Gameloft ($0.99 sale)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Retina Screenshots
(click to enlarge)

Got Stuck? Check out the HoS II Help Desk Thread : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=62624

Last edited by salsamd; 09-21-2010 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: lite
iPad

Default Impressions/reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD View Post
Hero of Sparta II is very impressive. In fact, it's the highest-quality Gameloft game ever released by far. The graphics pop off of the screen on the iPhone 4. The shaders are very nice, much more impressive than anything I've ever seen in an iPhone game. The art style and animations are top-notch as well. My only (minor) complaint regarding the game's graphics is that icons and text aren't optimized for the iPhone 4's retina display (the gameworld is), so they do stick out a little.

Gameplay is extremely polished, fun, and addicting. The sword button from the first Hero of Sparta is now a button that can be tapped, held, and dragged in four directions for various combos and moves, which is something only possible on a touchscreen. The gameworld looks very nice and is quite varied. Actual blood added to the PSP version of Hero of Sparta made its way into the iPhone version of Hero of Sparta II, adding to the look of the game.

Hero of Sparta II is the best Gameloft game by far. It feels much more like an extremely polished console game than any other Gameloft game. The game is without a doubt the best-looking iPhone game ever released, with advanced shaders and a great art style. The gameplay makes good use of the unique touchscreen controls the iPhone offers and is well thought-out and addicting. Gameloft's new highest-quality title won't be topped anytime soon in the App Store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I'm on an iPod touch 3rd Gen, and I must say- this is a very fun game. I'm impressed. I wish I had retina display, but it still looks good without it.
Worth the money for me. Although it doesn't look good on the iPad.

WARNING- Does not look very good on the iPad. Really pixelated and fuzzy. It's a shame though, because you'd think the retina support would make it look sharp, even on the ipads screen. It has a high resolution mode in there somewhere for the iPhone 4, but gameloft just wants us to be the iPad version. That's the one thing that makes me mad about this.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic game. Not sure on length, but it's fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Okay I've only played the first level so far, but it's going well. It looks great on the iPhone 3GS. I am having some problems with the framerate hiccuping a lot during the cinematics, though. It's always happening in the same spots, too... Kind of annoying.

But the in-game stuff looks great. I still think Zombie Infection is the best-looking Gameloft game that I've played, but this still looks great.

It's a buttery-smooth framerate when you're actually playing.

The controls seem very responsive, but I'm still not used to the attack d-pad system. Instead of having just a single "Attack" button, you have the ability to slide it up, down, left, and right. You slide it down to do a "shield-breaking attack". I can't figure out what the purpose of the other directions is, but you achieve combos by pressing the button repeatedly, and I think the sliding has to do with that as well. Sliding it around repeatedly does seem to do some nice combos.

But I'm still not used to it 100%, so sorry if this information isn't the most accurate I just wanted to throw my quick impressions up before I went to bed.

Pretty much, if you loved Hero of Sparta, you will love this just fine. It feels so much fuller of an experience than the first game. It seems they also tried adding more depth to the combo system, instead of just tapping the same button over and over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediocy View Post
After playing through the first level and some parts of the second, I have got to say I am pretty impressed with the game. Never played the original HoS as I had mentioned earlier, so I cannot provide any comparison between the two. On my 3GS that is still running 3.1.3, the game has been generally rather smooth. There is no noticeable lag during combat in my opinion.

I took about an hour odd to complete the first chapter (3 levels), by the way. So by conservative estimates, the entire game's 12 levels should give a total of at least 4-5 hours of gameplay right? How long was the first HoS exactly? I am rather curious about that, as that seemed like one of the major complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGame View Post
After reading some of the impressions from other players, I guess I'll be the first one to express negative feedback to this game. I am using Ipod Touch 3G 32gb btw and with regard to graphics department (don't flame please) I could say that its "OK", no WOW factor despite the fact that gameloft implemented enhancements for 3rd Gen Devices, but it is an improvement compared to the previous Hero of Sparta. I guess after having titles like Chaos Rings, Prince of Persia and Need For Speed Shift, which the latter is optimized for my device, my expectations on what the 3rd generation devices can do is rather high. Although the graphics may be different or great on the iPhone 4 thanks to its awesome display. I think the optimization is greatly applied on the armors and weapons of the main character and villains giving it the shining effects but optimization on level design is not that prominent to be noticed IMO. One more thing that I noticed is that Gameloft never really took advantage of what iOS 4 can do. Sure the multitasking feature is there but Gameloft could have used the Antialiasing feature cause jagged edges are pretty visible within the environment. Even the game Tehra: Dark Warrior looks more beautiful than this game and RED STAR which does not even used the Open GL ES 2.0 feature. Sorry Gameloft

The thing that really bothers me during playtime is the choppy framerate and lags during cut scenes and sometimes during exploration. Yes its none game breaking but it does affect the overall gaming experience. I commend gameloft for their new control scheme for combos.

Overall the game is OK and an improvement from the previous title but not as innovative as its says on the game description especially in term of using the OpenGL ES 2.0 feature.

An overall game rating of 6/10 IN MY OPINION
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGame View Post
After reading some of the impressions from other players, I guess I'll be the first one to express negative feedback to this game.
I think that's fair enough. But I would personally rate it higher for the following reasons:

1) the level design is much improved from the original (hey, what do you know, real platforming for once).

2) Gameloft actually innovated on the controls and gameplay. The combo system is implemented using a neat touchscreen-only scheme. And, as I mentioned earlier, the fact that you can ride the minotaurs and use them as weapons is pretty darn cool.

3) The upgrade system is much improved.

4) Anti-aliasing is pretty much unheard of in portable gaming -- it's too much of a resource hog, and doesn't make much of a difference on a small screen

5) Games like Chaos Rings and Need for Speed make much smaller demands of the device than something like HoS 2. (Chaos Rings has pre-rendered backgrounds in movement view, and the TB combat sequences are basically cut-scenes; Need for Speed has very little animation to deal with in the competing cars and city scenes.) It's pretty darn unfair to compare them graphically.

6) Tehra and Red Star both look great, but HoS 2 is a heck of a lot more fun to play than either. Red Star's has a lot going for it, but the save system pretty much kills it (the controls could also be better). Tehra could be great, but the combat and upgrade systems are way too simple; it also desperately needs an acrobatic dodge maneuver.

As someone who finds the original HOS to be pretty darn crappy, I am pretty stunned at how much Gameloft has improved with the sequel. Obviously it's no GoW PSP (which ranks up there as one of the better action games on any platform), but for once the comparison is not outright laughable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehoo View Post
HOS1 got boring pretty fast. I cannot hand down the same verdict for this game. The graphics are sharp on the iphone4, and although there are slight hiccups with the frame-rate, it's not terribly distracting to the gameplay.

People,,,,, try not to be so pessimistic. This is really much better than the 1st one, and if you wait a week, the price will drop to $4.99 like the rest of gameloft's arsenal. I remember paying $10 for HOS1 and really regretting it. Hero of Sparta 2 has not given me the impression yet that I have wasted my money at all. The combat is actually fun now, especially the air combos. Now i'll have to see if Sim City Deluxe is worth the pinky-finger they're charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodjunkie View Post
I would compare hos2 more to avatar then to chaos ring. In hos2 the combat system is a lot better,but i agree, tehra has better graphic. Still, Im impressed with the large levels here in hos2. And did i said combat system?:-) Come on people, this is the first game that tryes something diferent with the sliding button. It makes the game to work with less virtual buttons, something that a wish in more gameloft games ( did anybody count how many onscreen buttons there are in brothers in arms 2 and prince of persia?):-))
Quote:
Originally Posted by SstakK View Post
Great game, graphics are best one seen yet. Nice water, weapons and armor shine nicely, shaders are awesome. And the animations and gameplay are just great. Im in a desert level now already 4 weapons and i think that there will be at least 2 more. You can practise combos at some menu. Main menu-->help-->combo's or something. Also i play on normal now and it is harder than HOS on hard

It might not look asgood as tehra (i actually think it does) but tehra was is darn booorriing. Can't say anything about chaos rings as i never had it.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-16-2010 at 04:16 PM..
iPad

Default Impressions/reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
All right, I thought I'd add in some more impressions. I think I've played three chapters now... but I'm not sure. I haven't seen a "Chapter Completed" screen or anything, so I very well may still be on the first chapter. That would be pretty sweet

Anywho: I played the first Hero of Sparta a little bit to compare the graphics, and I was actually a little disappointed. At first I thought Hero of Sparta II looked really great and a huge improvement over the first game, but for some reason it seems to me that other than the animations getting a nice improvement, the graphics of the characters look exactly the same. I swear that's the case, unless I'm going blind. The environments look far and away much better in the second game than the first one, though. But the graphics aren't as impressive as I initially thought. Still good, but not the most outstanding on the platform, that's for sure. Then again, seeing how much more is going on at one time in this one than the first game, it does make sense in a way why the graphics for the characters wouldn't be the best.

The controls are still going well, though I'm having a lot of trouble with the camera switching angles, and my character's movement being unnatural and weird. Like, if you are holding up-right on the analog stick, then the camera switches, you will start going in a direction you don't want to go. A quick "thumb off, thumb on" works, but it's rather annoying when that happens.

The difficulty is something that I'm sure a lot of people will like. So far it seems a lot more difficult than the first game. You fight much bigger waves of enemies, and more powerful (as well as more annoying) enemies as you progress further. Definitely spices things up when they put so many different enemies into the mix.

The sound is great. I'm enjoying the music, and how it doesn't feel completely tacked-on like the first game's music selection was. I'm one of those "iPod music playback" soldiers (as some of you might see from many posts of mine ), so the fact that you can also play your own music is very welcoming. I wish this idea would catch on with a certain Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 *cough*. But seriously, the sound is really nice.

The checkpoints appear to be much more lenient than the first game, but I could be wrong. Fast app switching is always a nice feature, too

Probably the biggest improvement over the first game is the overall feel of the environment. Instead of feeling like you're being restricted to faux-3D environments to run amuck in, you actually feel like you have a whole 3D environment to run around in. The first game felt really linear and restricted. Although there is linearity in this one, it isn't as blatant as the first one.

I really appreciate that there is some actual exploration in this too. Same with platforming (though that could be a good or bad thing, depending on who you are). The first game, as with the environments, had some very restrictive platforming segments. Oh ho ho, you can jump up a ledge or two. My goodness. But in this one, you have actual platforming sections, and it's nice to have a dedicated "Jump" button that doesn't have to be activated by some ledge you have to jump up to. The Jump button is always on, and that makes the game also feel less restrictive. I think the phrase of the day is "less restrictive". This blows the first game out of the water in terms of freedom.

Finally, there are a couple really cool play mechanics that I'm liking a lot. One is a slight spoiler, so I'll just say that I love a certain thing you can do with the Jump button when you get a certain item (in the first chapter, I think). The other is the lifting/pulling minigame. There's something a lot more satisfying and fun with alternating button presses working your way up the screen, than just tapping the same button repeatedly to lift a really heavy door. I really like that.

So in conclusion, from the extended time of play, I have found a lot to really like, and found a couple disappointments as well. Polish is one thing I'm finding to be disappointing. There are several graphical glitches I've experienced, I don't appreciate random one-second freezes that seem to occur when it's loading the rest of a certain level (only happened a couple times, though. And it's better than endless load screens ), and the cutscenes still hiccup a fair amount (fair being an average of at least one hiccup per cutscene). And it doesn't feel like the most refined video game out there. But the positives totally outweigh the negatives, and it's a fantastic experience so far. So I still stand by how much I loved it from my initial impressions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
I am a big fan of the Hero of Sparta games. So far part 2 has been a big improvement of the first but what ill never understand is why dev's feel the need to add jumping platform style stages with instant death that breaks up GREAT action packed sword play. To me, that is this games weakness trying to jump to TINY little islands of land, without control of the camera to judge distances. I have been having massive amounts of fun with this game and learning all the combo moves and then the action just stops and the player is forced to jump from ledge to ledge, island to island, wall from wall. IMO, save that for Mario type games.

Other than that the game is a great overhaul over the first. In almost every aspect the 2nd edition has fleshed out the first installment. The graphics are fantastic, watching the sword swinging animations are GREAT, the combos are fun, the slow mo sword strike that launchs NPCsmobs into the air for further combos are a great addition. Gameloft has created another very solid game except for those platforming stages.

Id give the game a solid 7-8 out of 10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD View Post
Framerate is fine on the iPhone 4. I still can't get over how impressive it is to be able to leave the game and go back in without loading and just play from where you were. The retina display adds more to this game and makes it look much better than on my iPad at 1x (or 2x). Textures are all higher quality than Brothers In Arms 2 or Iron Man 2 and the shaders look more pronounced on the iPhone 4. On the iPhone 4 everything shines very realistically and the retina display makes it look more realistic than playing at 480x320.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDaniel View Post
I'm enjoying the game. I really do. But the camera makes it hard and is it just me or is he allergic to water?! If I touch a waterfall he...dies?!

Playng it on a 2. gen ipod. The framerate drops from time to time but I'm just happy to be able to play these eyecandys on a low-budget handheld. Games like these makes my supercheap iPod the best gamingdevice I've ever owned.

Feels like a cross between Avatar, Dungeon Hunter and POP: Sands whitout the puzzles.

Worth every penny. One of the best gameloft games out there, exept from Sandstorm and N.O.V.A. If the issues pointed out in this thread is fixed in an update, this would be the best game I own. And I own hundreds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBM05 View Post
I think I probably should have skipped this. Im on level four and I'm finding this pretty boring so far. I can't say as I've really had any fun with it at all.

Prince of Persia:Warrior Within is so much better and more fun that it just makes this game look ugly and seem boring in comparison. Not only is the exploration much better in PoP, but the combat is actually fun and really cool. The exploration in this (HoS:II) is pretty terrible, and the combat is even pretty tedious.

And of course the graphics, animations, number of moves available, camera, etc are all also much better in PoP.

PoP:WW really should have sold better. I'd much rather have more games of that quality and depth than games of this quality and depth.

As I said, I should have skipped this. I don't think it's going to last on my iPhone for long. I don't even know if I'll bother to finish it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmiral View Post
I think this is one of Gamelofts better games, it's much more than a button smasher, and has a much more advanced combat system compared to the first one, I've been waiting for a game like this. I think the platforming aspects fit really well into the game, and even though the camera can be annoying at some times, once you get used to it it's not that bad. I love how you can ride on the minotaurs and the giant bull things, that is an awesome addition. I also love the variety of weapons, compared to the first where the really only different weapon was the bow, the other weapons in the first were really similar to each other, especially the giant axe and the giant sword. My favorite weapon has to be the lighting staff, although the normal sword and shield come in close second. The weapon with the best special is the meteor crown though. The one other thing that is awesome in this game is the ability to glide with your wings, it's like they combined some of the gliding from glyder and the swinging from spiderman with some aspects of a platformer, action of a hack'n slash, and an awesome combat system, it's defenitely one of the better games on the ipod. But of course that's just my opinion.
Got Stuck? Check out the HoS II Help Desk Thread : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=62624

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-16-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Oh my goooooooood awesome. One of the few Gameloft games I truly loved.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

gosh u wonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

*shakes fist at New Zealand* Gonna be a long day. =(
Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

damn so many games i barely left money to buy bread.
but who cares !! hero of sparta yeah!!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:11 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

please make the 2nd one much, much longer than the first
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Send a message via Skype™ to klicktock

Ugh the original was garbage.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite Cola View Post
please make the 2nd one much, much longer than the first
A bit late to be asking that don't you think? It's not out yet in OZ. Dang!