★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Big Mountain Snowboarding sales and history

07-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Big Mountain Snowboarding sales and history

http://goldenhammersoftware.blogspot...story-and.html

I wrote up a long essay about all the various things we've tried with Big Mountain Snowboarding, how long things took, and how much income each approach contributed. I thought it might be useful for other developers to see what a middle of the road app looks like. Not enough sales to live on, but better than average.
07-29-2010, 05:12 PM
The app store model is broken when one idiot can torpedo your company by posting one bad review and having your sales drop 5x. This should never happen.

07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSolarSoftware View Post
The app store model is broken when one idiot can torpedo your company by posting one bad review and having your sales drop 5x. This should never happen.
Gotta make those early customers happy. Once you have enough reviews a bad one here and there doesn't have much effect.

edit: I see the wording is a little murky there. The initial sales had dropped off by then so it was more of a $30->$10 drop, which still hurt a lot.

Last edited by Golden Hammer; 07-29-2010 at 05:19 PM.
07-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Cool thanks. iad revenue is not near what I would've expected it to be...
07-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Cool thanks. iad revenue is not near what I would've expected it to be...
Since it's USA only and they only have two ads available...yeah. We ask for an iAd and if that fails we ask AdMob. It's looking like each is about $5/day. I imagine it probably scales linearly with more downloads, and an app like an IM program probably brings in a lot more ad revenue.
07-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Great post, thanks for sharing! Do you have any idea why there is such a high refund rate? Is it due to unsupported handsets? People abusing the system? Is this common occurrence on Android?

cheers
-marc
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi,

Appreciate your sharing of your experience with the Iphone and Android markets.

Just a shame your experiences, to this point, have not been more positive.

David
07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoiles View Post
Great post, thanks for sharing! Do you have any idea why there is such a high refund rate? Is it due to unsupported handsets? People abusing the system? Is this common occurrence on Android?

cheers
-marc
This is really hard to say with authority. From what I've read, you can expect anywhere from 15%-50% return rate on games. You have a 48h(?) period to return anything you buy.

If I had to guess at why we're on the high end I'd say a combination of:
1) Doesn't seem to work on Droid Eris and a few other phones.
2) It's not SSX. People who want SSX will be disappointed.
3) 2 days is a lot of playtime for a game like this.
4) We didn't have a demo version for android until a couple hours ago.

I see a lot of people buy it and then return it just before the time is up. One guy actually bought it, returned it before the 48 hours was up, then immediately bought it again.

Last edited by Golden Hammer; 07-29-2010 at 10:42 PM.
07-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Hammer View Post
I see a lot of people buy it and then return it just before the time is up. One guy actually bought it, returned it before the 48 hours was up, then immediately bought it again.
wow, that is crazy...
07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Great read.

FTA:
Quote:
We decided to make a universal binary (most definitely mistake #6). This kept us out of consideration for being featured...
I updated one of my old games from 2008 to universal and it ended up being featured on iPad N&N on the device itself. That brought in a good bump for a few weeks. So I think making your app universal doesn't mean it won't be featured.

re: Android
Quote:
... sales are bad but they are no longer totally ignorable.
Thanks for sharing these numbers. I've been looking at the Android market for the last few weeks, but haven't taken the plunge. Definitely a growing market, but a lot of concerns like you wrote.