★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pandora

10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Pandora

I think Pandora Radio needs to have some sort of "Plus" version that is add-free and allows you to skip as many times as you want; I honestly would not mind paying $9.99 for it. I have already sent their dev team an email regarding this but I am sure one voice isn't enough. What do you guys think, would you like a PandoraPro or Plus?
10-18-2008, 08:24 PM
It would be a good feature as far as the ad-free version.

But the 6-skip limit is there for a reason. The RIAA set a deal with Pandora; to only let a person have only 6 skips on a channel for some reason, just because the RIAA had to set SOME limit on SOMETHING. Even if the plus version was there, it would still include the 6-skip limit.

10-18-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think it's good idea. Pandora makes very little money right now. It was to the point that bill H.R. 7084 would have made them close down forever.

The fact is, a one time cost is GREAT for us and gives them a lot of revenue up front. But at the same time having ads in the app means they don't get a lot at once yet have income for as long as the app is being used.

Note: HR 7084 DID pass but if you want to know a little more you can check out a blog I did about it on 9-29
http://vegantnt.wordpress.com/2008/0...radio-pandora/

you can also check out
http://www.gop.gov/c/portal/layout?p...0o_version=1.0
10-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
It would be a good feature as far as the ad-free version.

But the 6-skip limit is there for a reason. The RIAA set a deal with Pandora; to only let a person have only 6 skips on a channel for some reason, just because the RIAA had to set SOME limit on SOMETHING. Even if the plus version was there, it would still include the 6-skip limit.
Makes sense, I guess I have to accept it lol but would still love to see an add free version.
10-18-2008, 08:35 PM
6 skip limit

The 6 skip limit is there because royalties have to be paid on every song that is streamed to you...

So you could skip 100 times and then royalties have to be paid for each song! So they limit how many times you skip to make sure you are listening to songs and to get the most out of each royalty they pay. Whether you listen to 1 sec or 4 min the royalty has to be paid cause the song was streamed to you.
10-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't even like Pandora that much. I made a Metallica station and it constantly keeps bringing up Nirvana songs. I'm like WTF???
10-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everydaynormalguy View Post
I don't even like Pandora that much. I made a Metallica station and it constantly keeps bringing up Nirvana songs. I'm like WTF???
Then you hit 'I don't like this artist'.

Voila. More gay bands on your way; just not Nirvana.

lol.
10-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
Then you hit 'I don't like this artist'.

Voila. More gay bands on your way; just not Nirvana.

lol.
Wait, did you just call Metallica gay? If so, you better not start your car tomorrow...
10-18-2008, 08:50 PM
No, I called Nirvana gay. And for that, I'm looking through your window now. My plane landed in Arizona just a few hours ago, btw.
10-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Arizona? I'm in Africa's Zimbawe...Looks like you've wasted some precious frequent flyer miles there buddy...