★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What you want from a game's developer

03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
What you want from a game's developer

Well, one huge factor that I consider is the other games the developer has made, and if they have been consistent in updating and satisfying the customers needs... One question I wanted to ask was do you know any developers like these that you could point out to me?

And another question, what do you look for when purchasing a game OR what do you expect in a game/developer.

and if you hate this thread topic, then just please don't post to make me feel bad.
03-03-2009, 09:27 PM
i jus want the dev the be active and open to improvements
the pocket god update is great at this and continually updates and improves his game

03-03-2009, 09:28 PM
The dev of pocket god listens to consumer ideas and they update weekly

In a game i look for great game play
And replayability

Currently Playing: MiniGore, LUXOR, Baseball Sluggers, Zenonia, Spy Bot Chronicles,
openfeint ID: stykman Plus+ ID: Stykman
Twitter: Stykman1 follow me
Beta tested: 15 games
03-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I look for gameplay and graphics. If it is a fun game, and it looks great, everything else falls into place. I expect the dev to update the game regularly to not only fix bugs, but to improve the game's weaker points. Best example: Illusion labs!

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
03-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
multiple control schemes

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
03-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Comes out with a finished game instead of a half-baked idea that gets patched later on. Updates are for minor bug fixes and extras that keep customer loyalty.
03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Comes out with a finished game instead of a half-baked idea that gets patched later on. Updates are for minor bug fixes and extras that keep customer loyalty.
Precisely. Take Sway for example. Those 15 levels make a "complete" iPhone game. Now Illusion Labs is coming out with and update with even more levels. I want to see more of that.

l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
03-03-2009, 10:06 PM
i think that the guys from pocket god have it right. I mean weekly new features??? come on!!! That is one of the main reasons why i bought that app anyways, and it totally paid off.

I love it when they actually listen to what you have to say. And put it in the next update.
03-03-2009, 10:08 PM
I hate abandonware.

I hate the whole "once they have your money they don't care" thing.

I haven't bought an app yet that I've still been playing past the first month or so of ownership because the developer just stops updating it and it gets boring. These games aren't typically known for their depth.

While the Pocket God developer looks like a decent sort, I'd hate to have played an earlier version of that app, because to be honest, there's not a whole lot to do with it even now. If the updates for it stop coming, it will drop from the list of top apps in a right hurry.
03-03-2009, 10:11 PM
- I don't own Pocket God, but I like their episodic model -- release a great game and keep it on the charts with episodic content
- ... which leads to the iDracula model. Release a great game for $0.99 and then iterate on it before increasing the price. Early adopters get a cool game for cheap, and there's less risk for the dev -- win/win.
- Developers who have a blog/forum presence. You can see the person and passion behind the game instead of a faceless corporation.