★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Amoebeat is a concept that transcends the definitions of a game. Instead of playing a game, you create music. There are 5 modes in the game, each with their own unique way of play.

Ravenhawk Interactive's comments:

PM me for promo codes.
07-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Um.... So I think we can tell the inspiration for the style is from Electroplankton

Wonder if the gameplay is similar

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。

07-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Um.... So I think we can tell the inspiration for the style is from Electroplankton

Wonder if the gameplay is similar
It pretty much is. Same basic concept. Interact with the different creatures to create different sounds. I got bored waiting for my last game, Geometrix, to be reviewed by Apple, so I made this during the near 2 weeks of waiting.

Plus I loved Electroplankton. I thought it was a really underrated game.
07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhawk Interactive View Post
It pretty much is. Same basic concept. Interact with the different creatures to create different sounds. I got bored waiting for my last game, Geometrix, to be reviewed by Apple, so I made this during the near 2 weeks of waiting.

Plus I loved Electroplankton. I thought it was a really underrated game.
Haha. Well I have been wanting an Electroplankton-ish game on the iPhone for quite some time, but gave up hope some time ago. I definitely wouldn't mind trying this out

Lol, that is a very nice story

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Cool.. Electronplankton is lovely. I shall check this out when I can.
Any chance of some video/sound?
07-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyarla View Post
Cool.. Electronplankton is lovely. I shall check this out when I can.
Any chance of some video/sound?
Here is the game in action.

Youtube link | Pop Up
07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
PM sent, will review. It looks pretty cool. Thanks for the opportunity to try it!

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
08-01-2010, 02:04 AM
Game Impressions

All right, here are some impressions I have from playing with the game for about ten minutes:

Full disclosure: I despise GameSalad. But I still keep an open mind whenever I load up a game that was made with that development kit. So now that that's out of the way, some impressions:

After the loading screen of doom, you are greeted by a very simplistic title screen where you can choose from five icons, each one bringing you to a different "music toy". This whole interface reminds me of Electroplankton. And a game that is inspired by Electroplankton is a game I'm interested in. So good first impression from the title screen.

For the first icon, the one that looks like Mr. Slime from Dragon Quest, you tap the Mr. Slimes to make them turn into musical projectiles. If they hit another Mr. Slime in the process, it activates a piano note. Though I haven't played Asplosion yet, this mode does remind me of the gameplay I saw for that. For the first few taps, it's pretty fun. However, there one big problem I'm seeing so far:

- Mr. Slimes sprout up endlessly, and once more than 10 are on the screen at once, the game starts to chug along. If you try tapping a Mr. Slime, expect to be greeted by glorious slowdown while the musical rockets obliterate every Mr. Slime in their path.

The second icon, which we will name Cuddly Cross, takes you to a mode with a bunch of stars floating around. It seems the goal is to hit the stars, but it also seems like you're supposed to be able to drag Cuddly Cross around the screen. However, I have not been able to pull off such a feat, so I'm not sure if that is something going wrong, or if you really are not supposed to be doing that. Either way, I have a couple problems with Cuddly Cross' abode:

- As stated, it seems like I should be able to drag Cuddly Cross around, but he isn't following orders. I tap on the screen, and a little circle shows up where I tapped, but Cuddly Cross only jerks around the left part of the screen slightly.

- This isn't a problem that could be amended, probably (especially since this is a personal preference more than anything), but I'm not digging the sound effects in this mode. The synth notes that the stars give off are kind of alienating without music to back them up. There is a deal of tranquility with Mr. Slime that is lost here, but I'm not sure if that's attributed to the special effects choice or what. Still something to think about (maybe).

The third icon will bring you to the most obvious Electroplankton inspiration: a level with three tiny trees, two with one leaf, and the middle one with two on either side. Now, from the top of the screen, a bunch of Bouncy Brohas magically drop in to the level (with varying frequencies and amounts at one time), and bounce off of the leaves sticking out from the trees. When they make contact with the leaf, you hear a chime sound.

You can control the leaves slightly by holding your finger down on them, which makes them change their angle slightly, and makes their pitch higher.

Minor complaints about this one:

- I think it would be more immersive to be able to tweak the angle of the leaves permanently. Only being able to press it to make it go to the same preset angle severely limits the range of different sounds that you can make.

- It seems like the Bouncy Brohas take a liking much more to dropping down on the right of the screen as opposed to the left. It would be cool to see them drop down the left and right parts in a much more balanced fashion.

If you click on the spiky-looking character, you will be brought to the fourth mode. In this one, you are at a blank screen with an orange background. You tap the blank screen, and Spiky the 'Sploder starts as an itty-bitty Sun, but gets bigger and bigger and eventually disappears. He grows for five stages, each one making a chiming sound (but the same chiming sound for each stage). You can throw down many Spiky the 'Sploders at once, and it does make for some interesting chiming combinations. As a sidenote, each Spiky has a randomly determined chime. Some have a higher chime, some have a lower one. I think there are five different predetermined chime levels.

Two minor suggestions:

- It would be cool if each time Spiky grows one level, the chime's sound gets higher.

- A good idea would be to make each part of the screen a different chime pitch. Like, separate it into 8 different squares (that we can't see, by the way), and each square would give you a different pitch of Spiky, if that makes sense

The fifth and final mode greets you with a screen filled with raindrops. Tap the screen, and a magical raindrop appears (who looks different from the rest, because he has two fins rather than, you know... zero). Drippydrop's purpose is to get in the line of fire of the other raindrops, and when he successfully intercepts a line of fire, each raindrop that hits him converts into a chiming sound. These chiming sounds are of random pitches, but generally you get higher-pitched ones.

Another minor suggestion:

- I'd really enjoy being able to drag Drippydrop around the screen, rather than just tapping him somewhere and leaving him be

That rounds out the different modes. There are no modes that are of particular unfunness, but all of them could be tweaked a bit, especially Cuddly Cross. It does bother me how Cuddly seems so unresponsive

There are three problems (plus a bonus suggestion) I have that are universal within all the modes:

- The "Menu" button (which, surprise.. brings you back to the main menu ) seems to be completely unresponsive sometimes. I would say it's a 1 out of 3 chance the Menu screen will stop working for you.

- If too many objects are on the screen at one time, it slows the game down a ton, especially apparent with Mr. Slime. I don't know if there's a way to control that, but a good place to start would be toning down the spawn frequencies, but that's mostly a suggestion for Mr. Slime.

- This isn't a huge deal, but I noticed my iPhone 3GS was getting extremely warm after playing this game for a fair bit. It also appears to be quite the battery drainer.

BONUS: A bonus suggestion is to add in background music. Making chimes can only go so far. I think some background music, different selections for each mode, would be a nice idea, and could potentially add a lot of awesomeness to Cuddly Cross' mode.

Overall, it's a fun little music toy, but nothing more past that, not that that's a problem. Mr. Slime (when it's not covered with Mr. Slimes, that is) and Drippydrop are the most tranquil modes, in my opinion. Least favorite is most definitely Cuddly Cross, but that's personal preference.

But for a game you threw together in two weeks, this one isn't half-bad. I'd say it's definitely worth a dollar, and if you want to play something that's a little taste tester of Electroplankton (though admittedly, far less polished), it's a nice pick-up.

fin

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
08-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
All right, here are some impressions I have from playing with the game for about ten minutes:

Full disclosure: I despise GameSalad. But I still keep an open mind whenever I load up a game that was made with that development kit. So now that that's out of the way, some impressions:

After the loading screen of doom, you are greeted by a very simplistic title screen where you can choose from five icons, each one bringing you to a different "music toy". This whole interface reminds me of Electroplankton. And a game that is inspired by Electroplankton is a game I'm interested in. So good first impression from the title screen.

For the first icon, the one that looks like Mr. Slime from Dragon Quest, you tap the Mr. Slimes to make them turn into musical projectiles. If they hit another Mr. Slime in the process, it activates a piano note. Though I haven't played Asplosion yet, this mode does remind me of the gameplay I saw for that. For the first few taps, it's pretty fun. However, there one big problem I'm seeing so far:

- Mr. Slimes sprout up endlessly, and once more than 10 are on the screen at once, the game starts to chug along. If you try tapping a Mr. Slime, expect to be greeted by glorious slowdown while the musical rockets obliterate every Mr. Slime in their path.

The second icon, which we will name Cuddly Cross, takes you to a mode with a bunch of stars floating around. It seems the goal is to hit the stars, but it also seems like you're supposed to be able to drag Cuddly Cross around the screen. However, I have not been able to pull off such a feat, so I'm not sure if that is something going wrong, or if you really are not supposed to be doing that. Either way, I have a couple problems with Cuddly Cross' abode:

- As stated, it seems like I should be able to drag Cuddly Cross around, but he isn't following orders. I tap on the screen, and a little circle shows up where I tapped, but Cuddly Cross only jerks around the left part of the screen slightly.

- This isn't a problem that could be amended, probably (especially since this is a personal preference more than anything), but I'm not digging the sound effects in this mode. The synth notes that the stars give off are kind of alienating without music to back them up. There is a deal of tranquility with Mr. Slime that is lost here, but I'm not sure if that's attributed to the special effects choice or what. Still something to think about (maybe).

The third icon will bring you to the most obvious Electroplankton inspiration: a level with three tiny trees, two with one leaf, and the middle one with two on either side. Now, from the top of the screen, a bunch of Bouncy Brohas magically drop in to the level (with varying frequencies and amounts at one time), and bounce off of the leaves sticking out from the trees. When they make contact with the leaf, you hear a chime sound.

You can control the leaves slightly by holding your finger down on them, which makes them change their angle slightly, and makes their pitch higher.

Minor complaints about this one:

- I think it would be more immersive to be able to tweak the angle of the leaves permanently. Only being able to press it to make it go to the same preset angle severely limits the range of different sounds that you can make.

- It seems like the Bouncy Brohas take a liking much more to dropping down on the right of the screen as opposed to the left. It would be cool to see them drop down the left and right parts in a much more balanced fashion.

If you click on the spiky-looking character, you will be brought to the fourth mode. In this one, you are at a blank screen with an orange background. You tap the blank screen, and Spiky the 'Sploder starts as an itty-bitty Sun, but gets bigger and bigger and eventually disappears. He grows for five stages, each one making a chiming sound (but the same chiming sound for each stage). You can throw down many Spiky the 'Sploders at once, and it does make for some interesting chiming combinations. As a sidenote, each Spiky has a randomly determined chime. Some have a higher chime, some have a lower one. I think there are five different predetermined chime levels.

Two minor suggestions:

- It would be cool if each time Spiky grows one level, the chime's sound gets higher.

- A good idea would be to make each part of the screen a different chime pitch. Like, separate it into 8 different squares (that we can't see, by the way), and each square would give you a different pitch of Spiky, if that makes sense

The fifth and final mode greets you with a screen filled with raindrops. Tap the screen, and a magical raindrop appears (who looks different from the rest, because he has two fins rather than, you know... zero). Drippydrop's purpose is to get in the line of fire of the other raindrops, and when he successfully intercepts a line of fire, each raindrop that hits him converts into a chiming sound. These chiming sounds are of random pitches, but generally you get higher-pitched ones.

Another minor suggestion:

- I'd really enjoy being able to drag Drippydrop around the screen, rather than just tapping him somewhere and leaving him be

That rounds out the different modes. There are no modes that are of particular unfunness, but all of them could be tweaked a bit, especially Cuddly Cross. It does bother me how Cuddly seems so unresponsive

There are three problems (plus a bonus suggestion) I have that are universal within all the modes:

- The "Menu" button (which, surprise.. brings you back to the main menu ) seems to be completely unresponsive sometimes. I would say it's a 1 out of 3 chance the Menu screen will stop working for you.

- If too many objects are on the screen at one time, it slows the game down a ton, especially apparent with Mr. Slime. I don't know if there's a way to control that, but a good place to start would be toning down the spawn frequencies, but that's mostly a suggestion for Mr. Slime.

- This isn't a huge deal, but I noticed my iPhone 3GS was getting extremely warm after playing this game for a fair bit. It also appears to be quite the battery drainer.

BONUS: A bonus suggestion is to add in background music. Making chimes can only go so far. I think some background music, different selections for each mode, would be a nice idea, and could potentially add a lot of awesomeness to Cuddly Cross' mode.

Overall, it's a fun little music toy, but nothing more past that, not that that's a problem. Mr. Slime (when it's not covered with Mr. Slimes, that is) and Drippydrop are the most tranquil modes, in my opinion. Least favorite is most definitely Cuddly Cross, but that's personal preference.

But for a game you threw together in two weeks, this one isn't half-bad. I'd say it's definitely worth a dollar, and if you want to play something that's a little taste tester of Electroplankton (though admittedly, far less polished), it's a nice pick-up.

fin
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely take them into consideration for future updates.
08-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenhawk Interactive View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely take them into consideration for future updates.
You are very welcome

Apologies if that post caused you to have a heart attack

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。