★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Year 2008 scientists express alarm over global warming,
melting ice and huge floods.

Year 2012 - most of the Earths surface is covered with ice.
Unprepared humans have hidden in underground
shelters, while the only thing above the ground are
machines battling the destructive elements.
You can be one of the humanitys saviours. Just hop in one
of the icebreaking machines.

Break the ice, save the world!
08-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Art work is beautiful.
08-04-2010, 03:07 AM
The art does look lovely. It reminds me of Submachine... ooh, it's Pastel Games! Well, no wonder.

Has anyone tried this? Is it Puzzle Bobblesque? It's hard to tell from the screenshots and it doesn't appear to be on their website yet.

Cheers.
08-05-2010, 01:46 AM
Game Impressions

I enjoy Pastel Games' flash games, so I picked this up.

Premise: The world is covered in ice, and it's up to you to save it.

Cube Crush is a twist on a match three. You fire blocks from the bottom of the screen to make groups of three or more, which then disappear. There's no time limit, but you need to move fairly quickly as the robot at the top of the screen keeps adding more. Making matches gives you bonus points, and there's a couple of special blocks you can buy with them to remove whole rows or columns at once.

The art is the best part of the game, and in between each level is a hand-drawn illustration of a part of the city covered in ice. The gameplay is smooth and easy to pick up, though there's not a lot of variety. Every level plays pretty much the same as every other level, at least in the first area which is the only one I've seen. There are five areas in total.

One misstep is the narrative font, which is almost impossible to read on a 3gs. It's a futuristic-style font to begin with, then given 3d shading and put over a semi-transparent background.

Despite the great art and general polish, I can't really recommend this. The gameplay isn't challenging, but it's not particularly enjoyable, either. It just feels like a slog. You clear an area, the robot puts more blocks there, you curse and clear the area again. Every level becomes a war of attrition. Either I'm missing something (which is certainly possible) or there's just not a lot of fun here.

Cheers.
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina View Post
I enjoy Pastel Games' flash games, so I picked this up.

Premise: The world is covered in ice, and it's up to you to save it.

Cube Crush is a twist on a match three. You fire blocks from the bottom of the screen to make groups of three or more, which then disappear. There's no time limit, but you need to move fairly quickly as the robot at the top of the screen keeps adding more. Making matches gives you bonus points, and there's a couple of special blocks you can buy with them to remove whole rows or columns at once.

The art is the best part of the game, and in between each level is a hand-drawn illustration of a part of the city covered in ice. The gameplay is smooth and easy to pick up, though there's not a lot of variety. Every level plays pretty much the same as every other level, at least in the first area which is the only one I've seen. There are five areas in total.

One misstep is the narrative font, which is almost impossible to read on a 3gs. It's a futuristic-style font to begin with, then given 3d shading and put over a semi-transparent background.

Despite the great art and general polish, I can't really recommend this. The gameplay isn't challenging, but it's not particularly enjoyable, either. It just feels like a slog. You clear an area, the robot puts more blocks there, you curse and clear the area again. Every level becomes a war of attrition. Either I'm missing something (which is certainly possible) or there's just not a lot of fun here.

Cheers.
New & Noteworthy in the US.

Invaders Must Die.