★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Take your adventure to the next level! Turn your iPad or iPhone into a pen & paper virtual tabletop, and create maps by simply dragging your finger.

Battle Map will beautify tiles, calculate line of sight, and reveal traps - on your device, on an external display, or online!

UPDATE: *MAJOR OVERHAUL* from the ground up to add online play, improved user interface, high quality PDF export, and much more!

* Works on your iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad - buy once, works everywhere!
* Extremely easy to use - paint with your finger, drag objects, and pinch to zoom!
* Line of sight detection as you explore!
* Hidden traps, openable doors, and light sources!
* Play online! Players can connect to your game and move their tokens with their own iOS devices! Also great for Skype games.
* Display your maps on your monitor, TV, or projector - with a cable or wirelessly via Airplay!
* Name your characters and monsters, and display status effects.
* Both square and hex grid support.
* Choose from a library of objects, or import your own artwork!
* Free copy of RPG Calc HD built-in for dice rolling!
* Bigger than any physical battlemap - 64x48 in size!
* Export maps (high quality PDF) so you can transfer maps between devices, print your maps for the table, or email screenshots from the app for play-via-email campaigns!
* iCloud support - share your maps across your devices!
* Premium token and background packs: Expand your token sets with extra optional artwork!
* High quality polish for style and usability.
* Works with all pen & paper RPGs.

If you love pen & paper RPGs and want the very best in virtual tabletop software, pick up Battle Map today! You'll never want to use your physical battle map again.

***** "I've waited 25 years for this application. Freaking awesome."
***** "It's the most effortless way to make a beautiful, usable maps for roleplaying games that I've ever found."
***** "Probably the first thing that strikes you about this application is its elegance of use. It is so simple and intuitive to use that it belies its flexibility and features...any serious gamer will consider this a steal at this price."

Full review by TUAW:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/08/app-review-battle-map-lets-you-create-huge-worlds-in-small-dose/

Full review by 148 Apps: http://www.148apps.com/news/idd-battlemap/

Full review by AppVader: http://appvader.com/2010/09/review-battle-map-universal/

Video trailer: http://www.razeware.com/battle-map-2/

Notes:
- Battle Map works on the iPhone, iPod Touch (3rd gen+), or iPad, but is especially recommended on the iPad. The large screen and ability to connect to an external monitor makes for an amazing experience!
- External display support requires iPad or iPhone 4.
- Airplay support and Battle Map Store requires iOS 6.
- Battle Map is in full HD resolution on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.
- Full support for the iPhone 5's 4 inch display!

We love to hear from you! Drop us a note anytime at razeware.com.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:
iPad Screenshots:
(click to enlarge)

Quote:
What's New In Version 1.4

Battle Map 1.4 is out! All of these new features, artwork, and bugfixes come directly from requests from the Battle Map community - thanks so much for your great ideas and support!

★ Fixed a bug where Battle Map only opened exported maps with the "pubattlemap" extension rather than the correct "battlemap" extension.
★ Fixed a crash bug involving undoing scales and rotations.
★ Made it easier to select stacked objects. When you have a stack of objects, you can now single tap on the stack to cycle through the objects in z-order.
★ When loading different maps with the external display hooked in, Battle Map will no longer show an image of the last visible scene on the external display and will instead prompt you to switch to PC mode when you're ready to display the next map.
★ Double tapping on an object locked in PC mode while in PC mode will no longer bring up object properties.
★ Double tapping on a door object while in GM mode will bring up the object properties, rather than opening the door.
★ Doors now default to PC mode locked, but you can still double tap on them to open them in PC mode.
★ While using tap to move, you can now move into an empty square if you are already in an empty square. This allows you to use tap to move on maps with background images but without tiles.
★ Added a new object property to toggle whether or not a hidden object is automatically revealed when a character enters its space (default ON). By turning this off, you can let the GM toggle when a hidden item becomes visible (such as after a search roll), or in other cases where you do not want a token visible in PC mode (set it to hidden and turn auto-reveal off).
★ Fixed a bug where sometimes the map images would be garbled in the Open Map view after saving a map.
★ When objects are locked, you can now select objects that are underneath those locked objects. This can be useful when having a locked fog layer above other objects, for example.
★ Removed wall object from Battle Map due to numerous problems with its behavior and usage. This may be revisited in the future, but for now when making walls you should use the wall background tile (the last tile in the background tiles list). This will work properly for both visual and LOS behavior.
★ Added a new option to allow you to increase/decrease the size of name labels on objects. This can be useful to make labels more readable when zoomed out.
★ Added new tokens: dwarf merchant, human peasant, pig, sheep
★ Added new objects: bag of loot, key, weapon display, pillar, ship front/back, stepping stone
08-04-2010, 12:19 AM
This sounds pretty cool. I would buy this instantly if it was a good bit cheaper.

Or maybe there is a type and they just had an extra 9 added?

Here's to hoping!

08-04-2010, 09:01 AM
It makes wonder how you enter data, not a single snapshot about this, highly suspect if you ask me.
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Just bought it (for DMing D&D) and created two maps just for fun - worked like a charm. Everything I could think of for testing was in there, chests, doors, etc. You can even import your own graphics!

Didn't have time to check out player mode yet. But so far, this is a great tool for DMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
It makes wonder how you enter data, not a single snapshot about this, highly suspect if you ask me.
On the Bottom of the app, you've got buttons for Background (Floor Tiles, Grass, Water, Lava etc.), Object (Chests, Barrels, Tables, Monsters, Fireplaces etc.) and Custom. The latter lets you import your own stuff. You can save maps (autosave is enabled by default), load maps and turn of the grid. A helpfile is available, too, but currently I don't have the time to look into that.

If anyone else got questions, feel free to ask. I may be adding some screenshots of the interface later.
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorwan View Post
Just bought it (for DMing D&D) and created two maps just for fun - worked like a charm. Everything I could think of for testing was in there, chests, doors, etc. You can even import your own graphics!

Didn't have time to check out player mode yet. But so far, this is a great tool for DMs.

On the Bottom of the app, you've got buttons for Background (Floor Tiles, Grass, Water, Lava etc.), Object (Chests, Barrels, Tables, Monsters, Fireplaces etc.) and Custom. The latter lets you import your own stuff. You can save maps (autosave is enabled by default), load maps and turn of the grid. A helpfile is available, too, but currently I don't have the time to look into that.

If anyone else got questions, feel free to ask. I may be adding some screenshots of the interface later.

So are you the Dev?
08-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
So are you the Dev?
Why would I need to buy my own game? No, I'm not
08-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Why would I need to buy my own game? No, I'm not
Just wondering, since you just joined and your first post is about a $30 game.
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
Just wondering, since you just joined and your first post is about a $30 game.
Good point. If you are not the dev of this game and you did happen to make this thread your debut, this would be a first.
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Actually, I registered here to tell you folks what to expect of this app because of the price. I've been a lurker for quite some time and just wanted to help people make their decision. I used the dice rolling app by it's dev and hoped he wouldn't mess this one up, so I took a leap of faith. So, how about discussing the app and not me
Any questions about it's features?

If you want to thank me for being a nice person, there is a flattr button on my blog ;p
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Actually, I registered here to tell you folks what to expect of this app because of the price. I've been a lurker for quite some time and just wanted to help people make their decision. I used the dice rolling app by it's dev and hoped he wouldn't mess this one up, so I took a leap of faith. So, how about discussing the app and not me
Any questions about it's features?

If you want to thank me for being a nice person, there is a flattr button on my blog ;p
<hits the flattr button>

Well said!

Munkie!

Looking for a cool sig.