★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How much money do you think it cost gameloft to make nova?

08-04-2010, 12:34 AM
How much money do you think it cost gameloft to make nova?

I'm looking into putting a team together(my own studio) to create a fps like nova in terms of quality. I'm new to the game world so how much do you think it would cost?
08-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Hey,
The answer is: a lot of your money and time
You should really consider about doing this, cause gameloft is large company with huge amount of resources and experience, so they can afford it, and you are new to this.
I suggest you to start with smaller projects.

That's my two cents...

08-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domo607 View Post
I'm looking into putting a team together(my own studio) to create a fps like nova in terms of quality. I'm new to the game world so how much do you think it would cost?
Depending on how hard-core experienced and productive your team is (so you can save on the head-count), expect a project like that to cost anything from close to a million to multiple millions of dollars.

Where your team is located is also a factor, it's certainly cheaper to operate in a country where the average wage is lower, but you will then run into a higher risk of quality concerns.

You can always read through the credits list of Nova, estimate which people were needed full-time through the majority of the project (leads, engineers, artists) and who are part-timers or subcontractors (marketing, QA etc.) and multiply those numbers by an average wage plus fixed expenses. Expect the project to last at least a year, probably closer to two.
08-04-2010, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah i know to start small, but the dream is to make the AAA game. A milli? thats crazy. I only have 100,000

Like I said I don't know the game world that well, but how can it cost that much money to make a little ios game? Those designers must be making bank.

My team would only be about 10 people.
08-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Like I said I don't know the game world that well, but how can it cost that much money to make a little ios game? Those designers must be making bank.

Coding, level designs, mapping, modeling, rigging, texturing, animating, making effects, scripting, sounds, music << that's a lot of hard work, and if you want quality that's mean you should have more money.
Game like N.O.V.A is not a little ios game as you may thought

Quote:
I only have 100,000
With that amount of money you can create several smaller projects with solid earnings.
08-04-2010, 03:58 AM
$100,000 / 10 = $10,000.

That's only 1 month wage in many big cities.

Gameloft also probably developed technology that can be shared across many of their current and future games thus amortizing their cost.
08-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Maybe try to work with an smaller team? Hiring some freelancer who do more than 1 thing. Example: I do 2D(sprites, textures, gui...), 3D(hi-poly renderings, low-poly ingame, texturing, rigging, animation) and music. And I'm not the only one. Most freelancer have to be diverse to survive.

So my advice: start making an small game with 2-3 freelancers. That will give you lots of experience and if you're making an good game, more funding for your larger projects.
08-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Yeah i know to start small, but the dream is to make the AAA game. A milli? thats crazy. I only have 100,000

Very few studios who develop AAA titles do so with their own funding. That 100k you have may be enough to develop a demo that you then pitch to publishers or investors in order to secure the full project funding.
08-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Quote:
First, when you say that you are new to the game world, do you mean that you have never made a game before? At all? And you want to begin with a project like Nova from Gameloft? Now, I'm all for big dreams but you should probably slow down a little. A game with the scope of something like Nova is a huge undertaking. Even for a large experienced team.

If you are indeed planning on creating a game, do you have the initial game design ready or just vauge ideas thrown together? Do you have an actual game to develop?

It seems to me, that the cost of the project is the least of your problems right now. I hope that I don't come across as hard on you, I just hate to see unrealistic expectations and dreams stray talented people from a healthy path.

I lost my Sig somewhere
08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
No offense but idt you should spend $100k on making a game.

Follow me on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram @ithinkimalion