★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.08 - Idle Hands

03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Pocket God 1.08 - Idle Hands

Hey Guys,

Sorry I'm a little late on my preview thread, last night was the first time in a while that I was able to make it to my figure drawing class and I've been a little beat lately because the late nights have been catching up with me.

So, we found a last minute bug with our last update, so it went out Monday night instead of Sunday. This means that it will probably come out on Friday instead of Thursday. We made some adjustments to the shark and we ran into a bug where it would turn invisible once he eats his first pygmy. Probably good we fixed it.

So, this update was mainly a house cleaning update, we added a new menu that we will build on over time that allows you to disable any features that are getting in your way (sound, earthquake, boulder, etc). Over time, we will build each of the items into categoires so we can swap the boulder with some other island hazard, or swap the shark with something else like a sea monster. there has been some debate about the location of the button that opens the menu, so it would be great if you post your opinions when it comes out (like there is a chance that you won't ).

The other main update was to add gravity to all the other objects on the island, so the boulder, shark, and coconut all get affected by the tilt controls. and we fixed a bunch of the bugs that have been posted as well. btw, it really helps us when you find and post bugs for us, we keep a list of items and fix them whenever possible.

On the tech side, I was able to take our texture atlases to the next step and I found a way to apply PVR compression to them even though they have alpha channels. Before when I tried to do this, I got a white halo around all our sprites and would even see big white blocks in the middle of the transparent area of the sprites for some reason. So, I did some experiments and realized that the pvr decompression hardware uses alpha channel in a different way that the other bitmaps, you actually have to premultiply the values of red, green, and blue by the value of the alpha for each pixel for it to turn out right. So, if you have a 50% alpha white pixel, red = 255, green = 255, blue = 255 and alpha = 128, if you send this value raw into the hardware, it will ignore the alpha. but, if you multiply each color value by the alpha you end up with red=128, green=128, blue=128, alpha=128 the pixel will get rendered properly.

Since we already have our fancy python script for creating our atlases, it was pretty easy to add this into our process. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but this is how openGL handles alpha when you try and apply it to a triangle vert, which is a little counterintuitive until you get used to it.

Even with this change, we are still on the edge of taking up too much memory, The compression reduces the textures to 1/8th of their size, but it only looks good for objects that don't animate (the tree, island, statue, sun, etc). I tried to apply it to the pygmy and ended up with a bunch of random moving dots around their bodies. This weekend I need to try and get the 16bit textures working, that should give us twice the amount of space for new animations. When we run out of this, we probably have to come up with a system for dynamically loading and unloading textures as we need them. Its a little slow to copy textures into openGL but maybe we can have texture blocks that are associated with hazards, and they can be unloaded when that feature is disabled.

The good news though, with the shark update, we optimized enough to stop getting emails about it crashing on Jailbroken phones!

Last edited by davecazz; 03-04-2009 at 04:54 PM.
03-04-2009, 04:53 PM
great news!!!!

would any one care to post a link to the screenshot?

03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Sounds awesome!

Here is the screenshot:

I re uploaded the image on TinyPic so hopefully you'll now be able to see it.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!

Last edited by Palfince; 03-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.
03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
looks like a great update, cant wait
03-04-2009, 05:03 PM
wow nice! cant wait.cant see the screenshot..
03-04-2009, 05:07 PM
cant see the screenshot

Last edited by traonk; 03-04-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: i can see the screen shot now
03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Awesome!! Sounds fun... I'll have to wait till Friday this time bit oh well! If I understood right, Dave, you said instead of having a shark you would switch it out, along with other features... Why not just make a "longer" scroll bar?

Plus+ Account- Hobbes
03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Here is a link to the screenshot.

You could also just go to pocketgod.blogspot.com and the screenshot is on there.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
You lost me on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post

On the tech side, I was able to take our texture atlases to the next step and I found a way to apply PVR compression to them even though they have alpha channels...
And you found me on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post

The good news though, with the shark update, we optimized enough to stop getting emails about it crashing on Jailbroken phones!
Anyways, judging by the pic, the update sounds great, although it would've been cool to see something new other then gravity for the objects and bug fixes. My favorite part of the update is probably the menu though.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz
03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
i wish i could feed the coconut to the shark, and attempt to feed the rock to the shark, but break it's teeth

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*