★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Skyline Blade - now $0.99

03-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Skyline Blade - now $0.99

[App Store Link, $4.99]

Quote:
Amongst miles of cacti, sand, and bones lies the Skyline pilot training facility. Rumors persist about what goes on behind closed doors at the carefully guarded facility but all the world really knows is that Skyline generates the best pilots period. Do you have what it takes?

This 3D Helicopter Sim is powered by a custom flight model created with NVidia PhysX technology. What this means for gamers is the real helicopter feel is present as well as the action. Master the Blade's ability to maneuver, target, fire, and hook your way through a series of training and urban battle modes.

Features Include:
-Medal Achievements, can you get all gold?
-Per Pixel Spotlight Effect
-Custom Flight Model which strikes a balance between realism and fun
-Calibration always at your finger tips
-Complex Gameplay without the need for hardware buttons
-Specialized HUD, Radar, and Targeting System make the most of the device's tiny screen
-Pause on Call, etc...
Here are the latest screen shots and a video for version 1.0. We added some nice lightmapping as well as a per pixel spot light since the last shots we showed and I think it adds a great deal of depth to the scene. I would really like to step the graphics up even further by featuring better art but this is what the budget allowed for. While I can see room for improvement I think what we achieved compares quite favorably with the other 3D Helicopter Sims on the platform. The YouTube video shows off a bit of the gameplay but it came out terribly *grainy* after processing. I'll probably begin using Vimeo soon because YouTube's quality is so poor. Hopefully the game will be on sale by Tuesday as it was submitted late Thursday night/early Friday morning. Version 1.0 is $0.99 with a planned price hike coinciding with the first update.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 03-18-2009 at 02:10 AM.
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Send a message via MSN to Forerunnerz
Hmm, I might be buying this.

Currently playing: TouchKO, Castle of Magic, and Resident Evil 4.
Plus+ gamername: Forerunnerz

03-04-2009, 05:42 PM
It's up in the UK store now, wasn't about 4 minutes ago :P

I brought it, been waiting to play this one since you announced it.

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Any initial impressions? I'm pretty impressed with the screenshots, but alas not in a situation where I can try this out.
03-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Tried it for a few minutes at work. Maybe it's just me, but the 'coptor is super difficult to control. Like I said, though, could just be me. Otherwise, nice so far...
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Could someone post a review on this as i might be interested in getting it.
03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
@conor oberst
it's not worth buying. it sucks in fact. the screenshots looks very interesting but the gameplay is awful.
03-04-2009, 07:16 PM
About the controls:

I had a somewhat difficult time communicating them to people but once they got it they got it.

Your right thumb controls lift and yaw.

Lift - The higher it is positioned on the screen the more lift is applied.

Yaw - You can swipe your finger anywhere within the right panel (not just the top and bottom of the screen) and obviously the faster you swipe the faster the helicopter will turn.

Tilt controls the pitch and strafe.

*If you read the How To it explains the screen panels.*

Basically, this emulates an Xbox 360 pad scheme I had for another flight game and I think maximizes the iPhone/iPod's input capabilities. Hopefully, everyone will figure it out. As I said it was difficult to explain it to people when I'd hand them the device too but once they got it, they got it.

Last edited by salsamd; 03-04-2009 at 07:30 PM.
03-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pante View Post
@conor oberst
it's not worth buying. it sucks in fact. the screenshots looks very interesting but the gameplay is awful.
Could you give some examples? I've been waiting for this game for weeks and really want to buy it.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
BTW, here's the control image to get an idea of how you'll control it: