★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dev open for suggestions - Music Rhythm Game

03-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Dev open for suggestions - Music Rhythm Game

Hi there,

I'm working on my first iPhone game, which is going to be in the music rhythm genre (think Tap Tap revenge, Guitar Tour, Rock Band/Guitar Hero etc.) Unfortunately at this time I can't give more details than that until it gets further along.

However, I was thinking since I still am earlier on in development, I may have time to incorporate some things people wished they could see in a music rhythm game or things in existing games they'd like changed. I have a pretty full plate right now, but worst case I may be able to apply things to future updates.

1) What kinds of things do you look for in music games?

Large library of songs?

Variety of song genres? (World music/rap/techno/rock/etc)

A large set of features? (online scores, multiple game modes, difficulty levels, etc.)

High quality graphics? (animated backgrounds, flashy effects, etc..)

All of the above?

2) What would you change in existing music games? Any features you feel that they are missing?

Thanks much!
03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
All of the above.

also I would love to see different skins to put on the game. like different themes for certain songs.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything

03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
1. all of the above more emphasis on gameplay modes and large amount of songs than good graphics.

2. hmmm, more gameplay modes. what would be AMAZING is if the game could use your personal songs from your music library.
03-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyraider4 View Post
All of the above.

also I would love to see different skins to put on the game. like different themes for certain songs.
Would you like to be able to choose a theme? or just that different songs looked differently?
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
One thing you should make sure of is to have some kind of visual or audio cue when you hit a note, like how Guitar hero plays the music when you get the notes right, or DDR has the <PERFECT!!> things. Taptap does't have any cues and it kinda makes it tougher unnecessarily.
03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
While this may not apply to Tap Tap 2 (didnt get a chance to play it yet) I will say something about the first one, that might apply to your game.

1. There needs to be more of a clear indication when you've correctly hit a note. Often I'd be pressing the patterns and not really know how accurate I am.

2. Offer a calibration for presses. One thing that varies in users is the size of their thumbs and fingers. Us with fat thumbs definitely need a bit of leeway when pressing notes. This is especially true when it comes to interface buttons, like the info button, which is nearly impossible to press on a number of apps, due to a very small hit region.

Hope this helps! Shoot me a PM sometime when you're ready to have early testers, I'm always happy to offer advice and feedback.

Edit: It seems i'm not the only one who had issues with the feedback on notes.
03-04-2009, 07:02 PM
If you want your game to sell well you're probably going to have to have a differenet prensentation in gameplay rather then the classic and practical "tap the bulbs coming down the screen in one of the three areas." I mean if it is just the same as TapTap Revenge1/2 or GuitarRockTour what is going to make sure I go out of my way to spend money on the same game genre. I say make sure the music reflects your game and is just good overall, basically just be creative with your game.

Also I have a question, what music are you going to use? Are you a music artist or do you have a friend or a team which does music? I was just wondering if you knew that you can't put just anybodies songs without getting a liscence or an okay from the artist first. If you didn't know just throwing you out a heads up...

Playing: HookChamp.WheelersTreasure.BaseballSuperstars2010. SniperVsSniper.RealRacing.
Wanting:Command&Conquer.Madden2010.
WaitingList: SpaceTripper.RoguePlanet.MiniSquadron.R-Type.
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnizama_Mitch View Post
While this may not apply to Tap Tap 2 (didnt get a chance to play it yet) I will say something about the first one, that might apply to your game.

1. There needs to be more of a clear indication when you've correctly hit a note. Often I'd be pressing the patterns and not really know how accurate I am.

2. Offer a calibration for presses. One thing that varies in users is the size of their thumbs and fingers. Us with fat thumbs definitely need a bit of leeway when pressing notes. This is especially true when it comes to interface buttons, like the info button, which is nearly impossible to press on a number of apps, due to a very small hit region.

Hope this helps! Shoot me a PM sometime when you're ready to have early testers, I'm always happy to offer advice and feedback.

Edit: It seems i'm not the only one who had issues with the feedback on notes.
Excellent, thanks for the feedback.. I believe I have these two issues already handled.. I'm a "fat thumber" myself, so I hope my solution is acceptable. I'll give you a PM at some point when I'm looking for testers.
03-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOZ View Post
If you want your game to sell well you're probably going to have to have a differenet prensentation in gameplay rather then the classic and practical "tap the bulbs coming down the screen in one of the three areas." I mean if it is just the same as TapTap Revenge1/2 or GuitarRockTour what is going to make sure I go out of my way to spend money on the same game genre. I say make sure the music reflects your game and is just good overall, basically just be creative with your game.

Also I have a question, what music are you going to use? Are you a music artist or do you have a friend or a team which does music? I was just wondering if you knew that you can't put just anybodies songs without getting a liscence or an okay from the artist first. If you didn't know just throwing you out a heads up...
Oz, thanks for the feedback. Totally agree with the need to be different than just tapping, otherwise I'll just get crushed by TapTap, etc. I believe I have a difference that is unique enough to hopefully stand out myself from what's already out there. Or at least a unique enough combination of gameplay elements.

As for music, I've found some indie bands looking for exposure, as well as music from some that just like to create music as more of a hobby. I have to say that I'm extremely happy with my track list so far. I honestly thought this was going to be one of my weak points at the start (since I'm not a musician) but it's actually turning out to be a strength, IMHO. I have a license to use the music from all of the artists, so thanks for the heads up anyway.
03-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiastudios View Post
Hi there,

I'm working on my first iPhone game, which is going to be in the music rhythm genre (think Tap Tap revenge, Guitar Tour, Rock Band/Guitar Hero etc.) Unfortunately at this time I can't give more details than that until it gets further along.

However, I was thinking since I still am earlier on in development, I may have time to incorporate some things people wished they could see in a music rhythm game or things in existing games they'd like changed. I have a pretty full plate right now, but worst case I may be able to apply things to future updates.

1) What kinds of things do you look for in music games?

Large library of songs?

Variety of song genres? (World music/rap/techno/rock/etc)

A large set of features? (online scores, multiple game modes, difficulty levels, etc.)

High quality graphics? (animated backgrounds, flashy effects, etc..)

All of the above?
2) What would you change in existing music games? Any features you feel that they are missing?

Thanks much!
I think all of the above, BUT!!! get a good varity of genres cuasen if rockband was all country music only people that like country would buy it etc....