★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Mahjong Fairyland is out

03-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Mahjong Fairyland is out

Mahjong Fairyland - $1.99 (it was $4.99) - 29.6 MB

Mahjong Fairyland Lite - Free

Version 1.1 (21Apr2009)

What's new:

- Resume
- Sound/music on/off
- iPod music support
- bugs fixed

It's possible to finally enjoy the game!

However, I still think statistics should include number of games played at least.

In addition, it'd nice to see something like a career or tournament mode to increase the replay value.

The game is in the right direction and the price is really fair now.

The lite version was not updated yet.

First impressions

After a 15 seconds loading time you have a chance to select the language and you’ll find later that it is the only option available, not even mute or volume. Not good.

Then a nice “Tap here to start” screen is presented with a cute short background music that loops. The cute become annoying after a minute. Volume down. Now mute. Not good.

The second screen has the interface itself. “High score” is a welcome statistics (sort of) that has total of wins but not total of games nor total of losses. Instructions are very easy to follow.

When you tap “Start” you can select the opponents or just press “Random” button. Once they are set a 7 seconds loading time is necessary.

The graphics are nice. The “cute” design does nothing for the game because the guys are lifeless, just a game wallpaper. The sounds could be better. But the background music is hard to keep listening to and you can NOT turn it off!

You have a nice view of your tiles however the discarded tiles have a blurred aspect and there’s no way to see them in an alternative view. Players tiles have a top view (just press “Info” button at top right - hard to press by the way). A top view, as an option, is really necessary (really!).

The gameplay itself was designed to be fast (no undo) and it works well. Tap once will discard a tile (be careful). Tap-hold and move your finger across the tiles will highlight each tiles (like a Mac dock) so you can easily find the one you’d like to discard.

Plays like “Pong” for example are automatically suggested for you and a wheel alike interface is displayed so you can make a decision.

When you are ready to win you only have to watch because moves become automatic. As I said it was meant to be fast!

Now the really bad news: you can’t resume a game! Unforgivable for a $4.99 title.

After playing two games I have a feeling that I found more issues than qualities: subpar music, just OK sounds, it can’t resume, the “cute” factor is lifeless, incomplete statistics and a board view angle that I’m still not sure if it is the best for this game.

If you really like this kind of game and considering there’s no alternative then you may enjoy but be aware that you’ll have to mute the game to keep your mind healthy.

Rate: 2/5

Quote:
Flip & Win Them All!
You should’ve known it’s a big mistake to enter the fairyland with your fancy iPhone. All the bed-time story characters suddenly turn into greedy monsters and try to steal it from you. A simple mahjong game is all it takes to protect your iPhone. Hurry and collect the tile you need and flip your iPhone to win!

Features:
Classic Taiwan-style 16-tile Mahjong.
With the motion-sensor feature of your iPhone, discard and win just like you’re playing real Mahjong!
Cute characters from bed-time stories. Their cute moves and voice will keep you hooked to the game!
Supports English, 简体中文(Simplified Chinese),and 繁體中文(Traditional Chinese).

Introduction:
『Mahjong Fairyland』- the hottest Mahjong game on iPhone!!
『Mahjong Fairyland』- detailed introduction and instructions of Mahjong with images. Learn and win in just 10 minutes!
『Mahjong Fairland』- simulates the real Mahjong gameplay with the motion-sensor feature of your iPhone. You can discard and win like you’re playing real mahjong!!
Plus, the 45 degree viewing angle and delicate Mahjong tile design gives you the realistic Majong experience!
『Mahjong Fairyland』- play with characters from the bed-time story! Their cute moves and voice gives you the most entertaining effect!!

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 04-21-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: First impressions added.
03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Real Mahjong, yay! Graphics look pretty good, but I'm not a fan of its cutesyness. Pass.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

03-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Mahjong Fairyland $4.99 - 40.7 MB

It seems very polished and it has the "cute" factor that sometimes works for a title.

If I buy it I'll post my first impressions later.

I love cuteness Carlos, I hope you do buy it because I might pick it up if the gameplay is good.
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
haha it looks really well done, Id deff play it..but not for 5 bux
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
I heart Mahjong. I saw this and tried to purchase it immediately. I got the message; "the item you tried to buy is no longer available." Drat. I will try again later, I suppose.
03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Dude you have no idea how happy I am! I was the guy who really wanted mahjong police because it was the only real mahjong game in the app store. I ended up not getting it because it was only in Japanese. I'm still slightly skeptical on this version but if you say its good, I'll slam the money down for it.
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Fun!

Its pretty fun. I downloaded the game on my girls phone, since she enjoyed the mahjong game I downloaded on XBLA. Though the price is kinda steap, its pretty good though. Worth the money.
03-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maythius View Post
Dude you have no idea how happy I am! I was the guy who really wanted mahjong police because it was the only real mahjong game in the app store. I ended up not getting it because it was only in Japanese. I'm still slightly skeptical on this version but if you say its good, I'll slam the money down for it.
I bought Mahjong Police a while back. I don't understand the story but that isn't necessary for gameplay.
03-04-2009, 07:03 PM
P. S. I think China Mahjong is also a real (not solitaire) Mahjong game.
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
First impressions added.

Check the initial post.

Rate: 2/5

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8