★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

ipad sells vs iphone sells in app store

08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
ipad sells vs iphone sells in app store

It's not first time I quote some uprising elements from the app store of my country. As far I know universal app are counted as both iphone and ipad sells. But it seems not, here an example today with two universal games:

iPad : Chopper 2 is top 9, Zen Bound 2 top 18
iphone: Zen Bound 2 is top 56, Chopper 2 top 121

Lol, anyone has an explanation?

EDIT: If Apple is breaking numbers of universal between ipad/iphone with some esoteric methods, it means universal app get a strange treatment from Apple.

Last edited by Qordobo; 08-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.
08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qordobo View Post
It's not first time I quote some uprising elements from the app store of my country. As far I know universal app are counted as both iphone and ipad sells. But it seems not, here an example today with two universal games:

iPad : Chopper 2 is top 9, Zen Bound 2 top 18
iphone: Zen Bound 2 is top 56, Chopper 2 top 121

Lol, anyone has an explanation?

EDIT: If Apple is breaking numbers of universal between ipad/iphone with some esoteric methods, it means universal app get a strange treatment from Apple.
Because there have been a lot less iPad game sales overall meaning that for that number of sales compared to how many sales other games have gotten overall they are high in the iPad section, but many more iphone game sales overall so they are lower in the iphone section.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
08-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Universal apps are at a disadvantage on the iPad charts compared to dedicated iPad apps. When an app is universal, only the downloads made on the iPad device itself are counted against its iPad chart rankings. Desktop iTunes and iPhone downloads are counted against the iPhone charts.
08-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frand View Post
Universal apps are at a disadvantage on the iPad charts compared to dedicated iPad apps. When an app is universal, only the downloads made on the iPad device itself are counted against its iPad chart rankings. Desktop iTunes and iPhone downloads are counted against the iPhone charts.
Ha ok here the explanation, that's totally not justified, I often buy games through itunes for my ipad. This is a good weird reason to never made any universal app. That's a very bad decision by Apple.

EDIT: Well by thinking 2 second more ok I see why they did it, to not have iphone app trust ipad charts through universal. The consequence is still that it creates a weird good reason to not make universal app.

Last edited by Qordobo; 08-06-2010 at 04:10 AM.