★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: alpine racer - pocketgamer

03-04-2009, 10:27 PM
alpine racer - pocketgamer

they just gave it a bronze - 7/10 ... whilst vector tanks got a very low 5 and critical review ...

what do u guys think?
03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
check the reviewers, if they are the same then that guy has one major major major problem.

03-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Alpine Racer, while not being that great, is, I believe, one of the better games in its skiing/snowboarding category. I still wouldn't give it more than 7.
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
ok i just checked, they are different. I guess the guy who reviewed VT was just really dumb.
03-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
check the reviewers, if they are the same then that guy has one major major major problem.
different reviewers, but just cannot see the logic in their grading ...

thank god we have toucharcade as a better barometer for iphone gaming appraisals for the community!
03-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscal View Post
Alpine Racer, while not being that great, is, I believe, one of the better games in its skiing/snowboarding category. I still wouldn't give it more than 7.
yes but when you say better games, how many are we talkin here? There are only a handful of skiing games anyways, so that is a bad statement.
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlow32 View Post
different reviewers, but just cannot see the logic in their grading ...

thank god we have toucharcade as a better barometer for iphone gaming appraisals for the community!
i dont really follow review sites, the numbers usually mean nothing. I like the kotaku review style, where they just point out the pros and cons, no number scores.
03-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman919 View Post
ok i just checked, they are different. I guess the guy who reviewed VT was just really dumb.
dumb or just poor taste in gaming .... this guy said alpine is a must hv with a few additional levels?

the vt reviewer did gve time crisis 6/10 .... slight above average ... he called vt retro and not relevant? hey, time crisis is not the latest gaming trend either ... is it?
03-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlow32 View Post
dumb or just poor taste in gaming .... this guy said alpine is a must hv with a few additional levels?

the vt reviewer did gve time crisis 6/10 .... slight above average ... he called vt retro and not relevant? hey, time crisis is not the latest gaming trend either ... is it?
i know, that guy was really stupid.

Quote:
"It's not the most intuitive form of control, especially considering the availability of the accelerometer and poorly-placed fire button.

Firing a shell from your tank has you tapping the neon green radar at the centre of the screen. Unfortunately, this requires stopping and moving your thumb off one of the gauges to tap the button.

This is hardly ideal and has undesirable impact on combat tactics. Instead of fluid skirmishes that see tanks jockeying for the best shot as they zip about the battlefield, Vector Tanks is a stop-and-start affair. You're forced to move to a position, fire, then move again if you missed, firing again.

Sure, it gives the game a nostalgic feel akin to long lost favourites like Battlezone, but emulation without an eye for contemporary expectations is a serious miscalculation in the game's design.

The same game that wowed players two decades ago doesn't necessarily work for today's gamer, particularly on iPhone.

Vector Tanks carries no main menu, no options, and a complete lack of structure. There are no defined modes of play, the game just dropping you into a points fest with no defined levels or sense of progression.

The lack of multiplayer is shocking, if only because the game would be perfect for it. Duelling other players over the network would transform this stale single player game into an entertaining competition.

Introducing multiplayer would only solve part of the problem. Vector Tanks needs an overhaul in its controls to facilitate the type of action it has in its sights. The concept here is good, but the desire to recreate the gameplay of yesteryear prevents it from reaching its clear potential."

That last line just really pisses me off. What he's saying is that this game is bad because it is retro. That is the whole point dumbass! And even if it is, it has great controls (which he said were bad) and awesome graphics. Who cares that it doesnt have a menu, it is still a great and extremely fun game.
03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
exactly rocketman ...

the whole idea is it recreated the whole battlezone experience down to the original menu screens but graphically enhanced!

i think sites like this should have some qc with reviewers .... make sure theuy have enuff relevant gaming knowledge before letting them review a game like VT