★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: WARNING! How many Apps before we crash?

10-19-2008, 11:37 AM
WARNING! How many Apps before we crash?

This may have been asked before, but I would like to know the answer before my iphone crashes on me.

How many iphone Apps does it take before it crashes?
Is there a limit? I'm running the 16gb version. I heard a rumor of about 9 screens.(8gb or 16gb)

Then poof!

...tick tock, I'm at 9 now. (counting the first screen).
10-19-2008, 11:53 AM
You can't install more than 9 pages of apps (they won't appear).

10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't know about crashing, but I think I read somewhere it will only go up to 9 pages, then the apps simply disappear, if you like, to a hidden 10th page. So, for example, when you do reach that stage and you remove apps one by one, those 'hidden' apps will start appearing on the 9th page again.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.
10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm hoping that with the new firmware (2.1), there is no more crashing.
But 9 pages is the limit, but not sure if it still crashes with the new fw update
10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm on 6 pages because I'm constantly deleting the apps I don't use.

I wish Apple (or a handy dev) would create a file system. Like, 1 button that links to screens of games, 1 that links to utilities, etc. That way, you'd only need 2 screens on the "home screen" and it'd be easier to use.
10-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlake02 View Post
I'm on 6 pages because I'm constantly deleting the apps I don't use.

I wish Apple (or a handy dev) would create a file system. Like, 1 button that links to screens of games, 1 that links to utilities, etc. That way, you'd only need 2 screens on the "home screen" and it'd be easier to use.
yes!!!!
I want this soooooo bad!!!!
It would make it much simpler and much much more organized!
I already organize my pages by games and entertainment/social/utilities
I wish apple would add this!
I'd be willing to pay for it!!!

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11
10-19-2008, 12:08 PM
I totally agree. But of course Apple is gonna make that come later and we'll all have to pay another $20 for Iphone 2.2 or something.
10-19-2008, 12:17 PM
It seems a lot of us have purchased a large number of apps.

I like the puzzle-type and retro games..

Aren't these apps just joy?! I'm playing more on my iPhone now than my other plaforms (xbox,PS3,Wii)-but still playing on my PC.
I can't get enough. (and they're cheap too!)
FUN FUN FUN.
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkman View Post
Aren't these apps just joy?! I'm playing more on my iPhone now than my other plaforms (xbox,PS3,Wii)-but still playing on my PC.
I can't get enough. (and they're cheap too!)
FUN FUN FUN.
I know what you mean. I have a Wii and DS. My DS hasn't been out of it's case in the last 2 months, honestly. I bought 2 games in the last month for the Wii (Tiger 09 and Brothers In Arms) and played them about twice each, and that's it!
I am just so addicted now to Touch gaming. I love being able to download a game and play it within seconds, the prices, and of course free updates. However, as mentioned here, the more we buy, the more our menu gets bigger. A simple folder solution would solve this problem easily. I personally would like a folder for each genre of game- one for racers, one for word games etc etc. It's been mentioned a lot on the Apple support forums, and I am sure Apple are aware that things can't carry on the way they are going. Maybe within one of the next major updates we will see a change in the structure. Fingers crossed.
10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't think that a folder structure will happen on stock iPhones because Apple won't allow it. It will only happen if they create it themselves or if they allow a third-party developer to create it.

There is an app called Categories for jailbroken phones that creates folders and allows you to name the folders and to put apps into the folders. So this alread exists, but Apple won't allow a developer to create this for non-jailbroken phones. See here for a video: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...um=4&ct=title# and here for info: http://sleepers.net/news/category/categories/.