★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: David Tillotson
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 1.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: The Earth is under attack from Space Monsters and you are the only hope in this classic Space Invaders style game.

Space Monsters - Mini features:

Easy to use touch controls
Classic Arcade Gameplay
Retro 8-bit style graphics
Retro 8-bit sounds!

The future of the universe is in your hands! Will you stop the Invasion?

ClockworkShark's comments:
Space Monsters Mini has just been released and to celebrate we have some promo codes to give away!

08-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Thank you! Took "4FRH47A3R4X7" Will post impressions in a bit.

08-07-2010, 05:45 PM
LX4YR477K7MF, taken, thanks!!

MacBookPro 17" 2.33, 23" LCD, Ipod Touch 1st Gen- JB'd, Iphone 3g - not JB'd----yet.
08-07-2010, 05:55 PM

Thank you.
08-07-2010, 06:01 PM
FFWLW7PF73XL used, thanks!
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Game Impressions

Played on an iPad at 2x resolution.

I'm guessing this is the iPhone/iPod version of David Tillotson's 'Space Monsters' for the iPad, which I've never played. Hence the 'Mini'.

It's a Space Invaders clone, and it's not terrible.

Decent, retro sound. Not overwhelming. Works well for the game.

Cute, simple, retro. Okay; not outstanding. I noticed as the levels went by that occasionally some of the "monsters" wouldn't align properly and they appeared partly in the ones above them.

The overhead saucer made of dollar signs seems an odd design choice.

Assigning point values to the monsters marching down on you seems unnecessary since you have to kill them all or lose anyhow. Maybe that's just me though. The only thing that will affect your score for passing a wave is hitting a saucer. Perhaps closer enemies should be worth more.

The movement buttons work well, holding in the fire button autofires, but it doesn't fire a second shot until after the first shot is gone.

Your shots can't pass through the explosion sprite that appears when you destroy a monster, so it makes clearing out a row difficult. Fortunately, the monsters' march downward is very slow. Unfortunately, the monster's march downward is very slow, so it's not very challenging.

As monsters are destroyed, they don't pick up horizontal speed. If they did it might add some challenge.

Before doing anything to increase the horizontal or vertical speed of the rows of monsters, be sure to make it so shots can pass through the explosion sprite.

I died twice while playing through 15-ish waves. Each time I died, I got a life back once I beat the wave. I finally just let my ship sit where it was and let them destroy me so I could see the end screen. By that point they were coming down faster than at the start, but I could probably have gone for awhile longer if the descent increase per wave was a constant.

There is no way to pause that I could see, so I guess that adds to the challenge. Unless you can play uninterrupted for quite awhile, you'll probably close the app before you lose.

As it stands right now, I probably wouldn't be pleased paying 99 for the game. It feels too unfinished.

That's about it. Thank you again for the code, and I hope my impressions help.
08-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Used this one :

Thx a lot ! Nice app : I love old school games
08-07-2010, 10:37 PM
We do have a few more codes to give out so please post below when they have all gone!
08-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Used up KW3NMJJR76L7. Thanks.