★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Tablut for iPad & iPhone

08-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Tablut for iPad & iPhone

I've just released the classic board-game Tablut for iPad and iPhone.
Check it out; I hope you like it.

http://www.quantumclockwork.net/tablut/
http://itunes.apple.com/app/tablut/id385327976?mt=8

Features:
  • High resolution graphics for iPad and iPhone 4
  • 10 AI difficulty levels
  • Many different boards & piece sets
  • Unlimited Undo
  • Two players on one device
  • iOS4 fast switching

It’s an interesting board game in that it is asymmetrical – the two sides are the Attackers and the Defenders. The Defenders have a King. They start in the middle of the board, and must try to get their King to safety at the edge of the board. The Attackers do not have a King. They start around the edges of the board in “Base Camps”, and outnumber the Defenders 2 to 1 (not including the King). Their objective is to capture the King.

08-08-2010, 12:36 PM

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!

08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Has anyone tried this yet?

I already have Tafl, which includes a number of these "table" games, but it doesn't play the usual Tablut rules!

If this plays well, I might give it a shot, instead.

And if the dev is around still, maybe they would consider changing the graphics for the king pieces — the screen shots look good but I think the superimposed crown cheapens the feel (I must say, I like the more classical look of Tafl overall, hint, hint )
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Interesting...

I agree they should come up with a less "standard chess" looking crown/symbol for the king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuncoPartner View Post
Music Challenge HD & Music Challenge Lite HD
The most involving music trivia game on iOS now specifically designed for iPad.

When Examiner.com claimed Music Challenge to be-- “Simply the best music trivia game on the iPhone” we at Redwind knew we needed to develop a more interesting, more challenging and ultimately better game, so we decided to develop Music Challenge HD specifically for the iPad.

“Rock Out” in full HD for $3.99

Redwind Software is offering 20 advance copies to the first 20 people to sign up on the website newsletter. So why not head on over and sign up.
I think I subscribed (in fact I think I did it twice ) but I don't get any type of confirmation email or anything. Am I supposed to get some type of confirmation? How/when do I get the code?

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
08-11-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatizo View Post
And if the dev is around still, maybe they would consider changing the graphics for the king pieces — the screen shots look good but I think the superimposed crown cheapens the feel (I must say, I like the more classical look of Tafl overall, hint, hint )
Yup I'm around!

Yes, i think you're right about the symbols on some of the King pieces. There are 10 different piece sets -- the screenshots only show a few.

I have already fixed up some minor problems in the graphics here and there for the first update; I'll see what I can do about making some better kings!

Thanks for the input!

I'm curious to know what you think are the "usual" Tablut rules?

My version has changes to the rules based on a recent (2007) re-translation of the original Latin -- I used these as they play a whole lot better than the rules in older books like RC Bell's "Board & Table Games from Many Civilizations".

The main differences are:
- the squares where the attackers start are called "base camps"
- pieces can't land on a base camp or a throne (but they can start on one)
- an empty base camp or throne is like a hostile piece - you can be captured by a single opponent when you're next to one
- the King can't escape via the base camps

The main rules being:
- defenders win by getting the king to the edge of the board
- attackers win by capturing the king
- pieces can move like a rook, but capture by sandwiching an enemy piece between themselves and a comrade, or between themselves and an empty base-camp/throne
- it's possible to capture 3 pieces in one go, given the opportunity
- you can move into a gap between two enemies without being captured
- when on the throne, the King needs to be surrounded to be captured
- when next to the throne, the King needs to be surrounded on 3 sides
- everywhere else, the King is captured like a normal piece

It's a tricky game
08-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumclockwork View Post
Yup I'm around!

Yes, i think you're right about the symbols on some of the King pieces. There are 10 different piece sets -- the screenshots only show a few.

I have already fixed up some minor problems in the graphics here and there for the first update; I'll see what I can do about making some better kings!

Thanks for the input!

I'm curious to know what you think are the "usual" Tablut rules?

My version has changes to the rules based on a recent (2007) re-translation of the original Latin -- I used these as they play a whole lot better than the rules in older books like RC Bell's "Board & Table Games from Many Civilizations".

The main differences are:
- the squares where the attackers start are called "base camps"
- pieces can't land on a base camp or a throne (but they can start on one)
- an empty base camp or throne is like a hostile piece - you can be captured by a single opponent when you're next to one
- the King can't escape via the base camps

The main rules being:
- defenders win by getting the king to the edge of the board
- attackers win by capturing the king
- pieces can move like a rook, but capture by sandwiching an enemy piece between themselves and a comrade, or between themselves and an empty base-camp/throne
- it's possible to capture 3 pieces in one go, given the opportunity
- you can move into a gap between two enemies without being captured
- when on the throne, the King needs to be surrounded to be captured
- when next to the throne, the King needs to be surrounded on 3 sides
- everywhere else, the King is captured like a normal piece

It's a tricky game
Nice to hear back from you. Your rules are pretty much the same as I was taught as being "standard" some 15 years ago, the main difference being that the king always had to be captured by four pieces, not two. Interesting to see that your source was only from a few years ago.
08-11-2010, 08:27 AM
That's good to know, thanks!
I can tell you that the game does not play well when you can land on the base-camp squares, which is how a lot of books describe the game.

I sent you a PM earlier, hope it came through ok.
08-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumclockwork View Post
That's good to know, thanks!
I can tell you that the game does not play well when you can land on the base-camp squares, which is how a lot of books describe the game.

I sent you a PM earlier, hope it came through ok.
Odd, never got it…
08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Promo Codes!

I have 5 promo codes to give away for Tablut.

HERT746HKLR4
9E4YTHT6XML6
3W4RP39MLPKH
YWNHRP6NW4RW
AWFJY6LNK3XL

If you take one please post below with the code you used.
AppStore reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you enjoy the game!
(It gets real hard).