★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

gift apps

08-08-2010, 01:20 PM
gift apps

so i want to gift this app and i got a gift card with 15$ but when i try to gift it it says my credit card is declined.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"are you sure your gonna be okay here all by yourself?" "ya. i just need to watch out for some homicidal psycho teenage girls with ridiculously vivid hair colors who want to destroy me. other than that im perfectly fine."
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
You need a credit card to gift apps. You can't gift apps from giftcard credit. Apple's rules.

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!

08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Are you serious songbird?

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
08-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
Are you serious songbird?
LOL! Your post said something different a minute ago

Yes, sadly Apple decided that giftcards are too annonymous for gifting apps. I think they did this so big companies couldn't get their app into the top grossing/best selling by gifting their own app.

Last edited by songbird; 08-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
08-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Not sure why, but I tried to send my brother a gift certificate through e-mail using my iTunes account (which has a credit card tied to it) a few weeks ago and it kept declining my card. I was able to buy apps myself though (bought Squareball at that time just to check) and I ended up just sending him an iTunes card through the mail from the Apple website, which also worked fine. Dunno what was up with that.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Not sure why, but I tried to send my brother a gift certificate through e-mail using my iTunes account (which has a credit card tied to it) a few weeks ago and it kept declining my card. I was able to buy apps myself though (bought Squareball at that time just to check) and I ended up just sending him an iTunes card through the mail from the Apple website, which also worked fine. Dunno what was up with that.
The gifting app function isn't always perfectly functional, iTunes has been having a bunch of issues with it. However it is a fact that you can't gift apps with giftcards.

08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
The gifting app function isn't always perfectly functional, iTunes has been having a bunch of issues with it. However it is a fact that you can't gift apps with giftcards.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to gift a specific app to him, just wanted to e-mail him a gift certificate. Anyway, maybe that is just janky at times too for whatever reason.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Yeah, I wasn't trying to gift a specific app to him, just wanted to e-mail him a gift certificate. Anyway, maybe that is just janky at times too for whatever reason.
Yup, contact apple - loads of people have issues with gifting giftcards.

08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
LOL! Your post said something different a minute ago

Yes, sadly Apple decided that giftcards are too annonymous for gifting apps. I think they did this so big companies couldn't get their app into the top grossing/best selling by gifting their own app.
Gifting an App doesn't go into the grossing/best selling statistics.

http://majicjungle.com/blog/?p=246

I lost my Sig somewhere
08-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishSteve View Post
Gifting an App doesn't go into the grossing/best selling statistics.

http://majicjungle.com/blog/?p=246
Interesting, thank you for pointing that out. Ok, then I don't know why. I just know Apple made it impossible to gift apps without a credit card.