Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM
iPad

Default Madden NFL 11 by EA Sports (+lite Out Now)

Retina ScreenShots
(Click to enlarge)

Intl. Version : http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/madden-nfl-11-by-ea-sports/id365998852?mt=8

iPad Version Thread : http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=63632

Lite version : US, International

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 01-17-2011 at 05:40 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM
iPad

Default Madden NFL 11 by EA Sports (with Retina Support)

TA review....
Quote:
Like last year, the inevitable comparison between Gameloft's NFL 11 [$6.99] and Madden NFL 11 will likely take place in our forums for months to come, but in my opinion, Madden wins by a landslide. Gameloft's offering seems to run at a higher frame rate, but Madden looks better overall– rspecially when it comes to how the crowd and stadiums are rendered. Madden NFL 11 has local bluetooth multiplayer while NFL 11 is single player only, and the commentary in Madden seems less repetitive than Gameloft's. Where Madden really wins though is in the extra features. With how much I've fallen in love with GameFlow I can hardly bring myself to deal with NFL 11's play selection, and Madden's total defensive control makes playing defense in NFL 11 flat out boring in comparison.

At the end of the day, people who like Madden games likely don't need this review, or anything more than the iTunes link to download the game for that matter. Who I really expect to sway into checking out Madden NFL 11 are the casual sports fans, or people like me, who are vaguely interested in sports games but found the various technicalities of football games to generally be annoying. GameFlow fixes all this, and I can hardly believe that I spent the majority of my day today playing Madden 11 on my iPhone– not because I was trying to power through it to write a review, but because I was actually really enjoying a football game for the first time since Mutant League Football on the Sega Genesis.
Full Review : http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/09/ma...n-all-my-life/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPODtouch14 View Post
So any news for 2g users if this will work
Im on a 2G and it is running smooth. I am extremely impressed with the way you control your defense in this version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strato g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veecheech View Post
I doubt it will work but has anyone tried this on a 1G iPod Touch or iPhone? Looks so good...
Yes!! I'm playing this on my 1G ipod touch and it's running pretty smooth. I must say that I'm impressed with the improvements from last year such as: overall sharper graphics, weather effects, improved commentary, flow and pace of the game, slight improvement in animation, etc. Though I would like to see the animation stepped up a little more, especially with regards to tackling. This is where Gameloft's NFL 2011 has an edge.

Also, for anyone who hasn't noticed, Gameloft's NFL 2011 also has a game flow type feature. It's in the playbook as GL Choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
Played about 7 games today. Madden 11 on iPod Touch 1st generation.

Positives
-Very polished and professional like Madden 08 on PC. The way it feels, menu, texts.
- Defence is better with current controls - depending whether you are being blocked or not they give you different set of controls - Also like how you can change defenders through the hot route to M2M or zone coverage, as well as blitz or flats. Nice feature.
- Graphics better but not as good as screenshots (misleading screenies, on iPod 1st gen the crowd is the same pixelated colours, no signs or team fans. but iPhone 4 it should be fine.
- Nice work on audibles (both defence and offecnce)
- Good AI, they run more often, gameflow works well.
- More difficulties, bring on All Madden, it is very challenging now.

Negatives
- Unrealistic
- Poor animations like last year. Very gluggy. Poor tackling, poor blocking. Just like last year. Disappointing
- Needs motion capture. Needs motion capture. Needs motion capture. Currently unrealistic. Same old collapsing bodies when colliding. Linesman need more work, so do the blocking mechanics. Overall the physics cause the unrealistic animations and gameplay.

- Wish you could change some more audibles such as HB to block rather than receive, hot routeing the HB to near the QB still makes him a receiver.
- Occasionally unresponsive, like once or twice a game (on 1st generation iPod Touch)
- Blocking needs work overall, both pass and run blocking. However this is because of the poor physics, animations and lack of motion capture.
The characters are literally just pixels on a screen. They dont seem reall. Once again unrealistic.
- Poor physics once again, ball motion and movement of players, how they catch the ball and throw can be weird.
- Like last year, not enough interceptions or especially fumbles.
- Needs replays

In the end the main reason it is let down, is the unrealistic physics and motions which can be fixed by motion capture. The way the players act and the ball is thrown, caught is very unrealistic. Body motion, tackling and blocking is very gluggy, just attempted animations. If it were realistic, then it would be fine but it is very unrealistic which is the primary negative. Fix that and we have a game that needs almost no more improvement.

I dont regret it. Its very polished, just unrealistic. I will get NFL 2011 if it drops in price, which it should. If you have iPhone 4, you should definitely get it, if you dont mind waiting for a price drop, you can wait but it is quite well done. Only problem once again I emphasize is literally the only problem, the unrealistic movements of everything in the game. Fixed by motion capture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Last Year: Madden 10 beats NFL 2010
This Year: NFL 2011 beats Madden 11

Those Animations look very stiff in madden 11. there is no motion capturing. thats sad because nfl 2011 looks and feels better. i have more fun playing nfl as a casual football game.
There are only two things that i like about madden. the improved hot route system and the pass mechanics are awesome.

I think NFL 2011 is a better football game. I cant see a huge improvement from madden 2010 to 2011. ea....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamon View Post
Playing it on an iPhone 4 and it's really good. They kelt madden on which on the console versions they didn't. Quick loads and gameplay and graphics are unreal. New coach play calling speeds up game. Played a few games through and it's a winner. Worth $8 if u love madden. Better than NFL 2011 by gameloft by a mile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean69 View Post
iPhone version is very good. It's a little choppy. The framerate is not as good as NFL 2011 By Gameloft. That game is much smoother and I like the passing better in the Gameloft game. The graphics are no comparison as Madden is greatly improved. my only beef graphically are the face masks in the closeups. They look ridiculous. Also noticed I was trying to pass sometimes and it wud take 3 or 4 times of tapping the screen to get my QB to throw. Minor inconveniences. Improved from last year which is what I like best. Also way too many Pass Interference penalties when u are on defense and it is very difficult to get an Interception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaone View Post
This is my first iDevice game of football. Decided "what the hell" and downloaded this game.

First things first, the menus are decent. You can choose Exhibition, Season, Playoffs, or local wifi Multiplayer

As far as gameplay settings, you can only change the length of the games, where the d-pad is located, whether or not gameflow is enabled, and the difficulty settings.

There are no options for the camera, which is one of the game's shortcomings, in my opinion.

On the bottom left hand corner of the screen is your d-pad, though this can be re-located to the right. Near it is a camera button, but only for looking at routes. Then at the other side of the screen is your playbook icon and icon for drawing routes on the screen.

I'm not going too in-depth as far as gameplay, but drawing routes is fine, though I'm sure it works much better with the greater real estate on iPad. When the game is in motion you have a clock icon; if you push the icon time slows for a few seconds and more icons appear allowing you to juke, spin, search for receivers, etc, when on offense. The options change, respectively, when playing defense.

Let me say this: this game is damn damn choppy. It's almost nauseating to play. And this is on an iPhone 4. And though I appreciate the crowd movement and fancy rain effects, I'd much rather have a stable frame rate that doesn't make me wanna vomit. It really is that bad. I almost wanna ask for a refund. But I'll stick it through. Maybe EA will release a patch, but don't hold your breath.

Otherwise, it plays okay. I think a big part of this is the camera system.

I would even accept if the blimp cam was only used when on defense, but no. As the ball is snapped it quickly goes to a behind the QB view, which makes me sick, literally.

Anyway, I do have nice things to say. The presentation is good, with rain effects, nice stadiums and player models. However, the animations leave much to be desired.

John Madden does commentary (some) and he's not too bad.

Gameflow really quickens the pace of the game, though it's sometimes hard to notice with how choppy the gameplay is...

All in all, I'd say if you want Madden buy it on consoles. If you want Madden to go, have a PSP, and don't mind carrying it around alongside your iPhone/iPod touch buy that version. Otherwise, if you are strapped for cash or don't like carrying another device around buy it for iPhone. It's not a great game of football. But it's not terrible, either.

6.5/10

UPDATE!!!

After deleting the app I decided to give it another go on my phone to see if perhaps I could resolve the frame rate issues...

I did a hard reboot of my phone and then re-downloaded the game. I'm happy to say it runs MUCH better than at first and I can actually have a bit of fun with it. I still think the animations leave LOTS to be desired, but what's here is playable, at least for a season, or two...

My new rating: 6.8/10

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 09-28-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

Finally !!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealworm View Post
Finally !!
Finally indeed. I can't wait till it's out for U.S
Old 08-09-2010, 05:28 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Might have to get this... it looks tremendous.... and Retina Display right out of the box, too... Love my iPhone 4
Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Call me when a football game gets dynasty mode.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:53 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Eh, it is tempting, but it's EA so I dunno. I'll wait for impressions.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Send a message via AIM to russiaone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscure View Post
My sentiments, exactly. The screens do look enticing, though.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:03 AM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscure View Post
Since buying my Apple device last March, I noticed every once and awhile negative comments towards the larger game companies such as EA or Gameloft and I'm curious as to why. Maybe this has been addressed in another thread which I may have overlooked since joining TA, but could someone elaborate as to why?

(Maybe this is the wrong thread to bring it up this topic. Mods feel free to boot it out elsewhere in the forum if in fact it is...)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeDaddy View Post
Since buying my Apple device last March, I noticed every once and awhile negative comments towards the larger game companies such as EA or Gameloft and I'm curious as to why. Maybe this has been addressed in another thread which I may have overlooked since joining TA, but could someone elaborate as to why?

(Maybe this is the wrong thread to bring it up this topic. Mods feel free to boot it out elsewhere in the forum if in fact it is...)

Why don't you start a thread in the general discussion forum asking this question? I'm sure it'll be an interesting discussion. I'm sure the mods would get upset if this thread is derailed with this topic.