★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS 4.0 slowing down apps? Any suggestions?

08-09-2010, 11:59 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 820
iOS 4.0 slowing down apps? Any suggestions?

Over the past few days is the first time I've done much gaming on my 3GS since I updated my firmware to 4.0 earlier this summer. I've noticed everything is really sluggish now, especially with apps that continue running in the background like We Rule. I never had issues with We Rule before, but now it's almost unplayable with how sluggish it is, and it crashes often. I'm thinking it's memory issues due to xx amount of apps being open at a time.

Does anyone else on a 3GS have the same issue? Does anyone have any tips on how to get better performance using iOS 4.0? Is there a way to shut down apps running in the background short of rebooting your phone?

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
08-09-2010, 12:14 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,965
I've relied heavily on MemoryInfo since upgrading my iPod Touch to iOS4.

So far the only game I've seen unplayablely slow is 1000: Find 'em all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

08-09-2010, 12:45 PM
#3
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I've relied heavily on MemoryInfo since upgrading my iPod Touch to iOS4.

So far the only game I've seen unplayablely slow is 1000: Find 'em all...
How does MemoryInfo work? Does it automatically clean out unused memory when you open the app? Is it compatible with all devices?

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
#4
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
How does MemoryInfo work? Does it automatically clean out unused memory when you open the app? Is it compatible with all devices?
Runs on everything as far as I know.

Starts clearing memory when you launch it - you do have to let it run for a few seconds though. (watch the numbers change and the chart)

I get about 40 MB free with this w/out a reboot.

Their other program FreeMemory is supposedly the exact same thing with a different UI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
08-09-2010, 01:08 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Runs on everything as far as I know.

Starts clearing memory when you launch it - you do have to let it run for a few seconds though. (watch the numbers change and the chart)

I get about 40 MB free with this w/out a reboot.

Their other program FreeMemory is supposedly the exact same thing with a different UI...
System Activity Monitor does the same thing, and it was recently updated to iOS4. And yeah, it's pretty much required to play the bigger games on the platform.
08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
System Activity Monitor does the same thing, and it was recently updated to iOS4. And yeah, it's pretty much required to play the bigger games on the platform.
cool gonna buy that now. maybe not the feed back is pretty negative.. not that i always take feed back with a grain of salt.

how dose it work for you? any problems the feed back is complaining about?

chris.
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
#7
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 381
System Activity Monitor is great and was pretty much needed with the old OS. I just wish there was a one button push to close all apps.
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
#8
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 820
I picked up MemoryInfo for a buck. It's working pretty well.

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid187 View Post
cool gonna buy that now. maybe not the feed back is pretty negative.. not that i always take feed back with a grain of salt.

how dose it work for you? any problems the feed back is complaining about?

chris.
No crashes for me, and it works as advertised -- freeing memory is now automatic.
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Coolidge, AZ
Posts: 5,892
iOS 4 ruined my iPod. Nuff said. hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.