Let's have at it: What's the *best* vertical shooter?

03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Let's have at it: What's the *best* vertical shooter?

I'm a fan of 1941 & 1942, and I've been looking for a good port. I'm still looking

It seems like vertical shooters (shmup type) on the iPhone are either:

1) Automatically shooting (e.g,. SpaceX, SkyThunder (lite), Sky Force) (Personally, I find these games to be basically "dodge" games - not shooters since I'm not shooting - the AI is!!)

2) You shoot (e.g., SkyFighter lite, Blue Skies (lite)) (I prefer these, because as the player, I'm doing more! I like tapping frantically )

I know there are many other shmups in the App Store, but I think I've named a few of the better ones. So the question remains:

What is the best vertical shooter?

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
03-05-2009, 09:22 AM
zen bound

03-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcpdrummer View Post
zen bound
Well played.

(Seriously though, Zen Bound needs more missiles.)

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
03-05-2009, 09:38 AM
rRootage
03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Sentry Alpha!
03-05-2009, 10:00 AM
First of all, tosui, I commend you on impeccable taste. I've suggested in at least two different reviews I've done of vertical shooters that people should study the likes of 1942 before making their own. I would say the closest I've seen so far on the iPhone is Sentry Alpha, though from my experience on the PocketPC you'd probably like Skyforce as well if you haven't already played it. Personally, I'm hoping we see either Claygun or DragonBird one of these days. Despite the popular opinion towards Skyforce Reloaded, I thought Claygun was the best shooter to hit the PocketPC.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by le'deuche123 View Post
Sentry Alpha!
second that

Games Playing: Kids & Zombies, Infinity Gene, Q*bert, Resident Evil, Peggle, PacMan Remix
Listening to: Devin The Dude/ Waitin' to Inhale
03-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLE BEAM DREAM View Post
second that

Triple that...no pun intended Triple Beam Dream

Disclaimer: haven't played SkyForce yet.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-05-2009 at 11:39 AM.
03-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcpdrummer View Post
zen bound
Good one.. lol
03-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Actually I have not found my perfect vertical shooter game yet. I used to play this arcade vertical shooter game where you collect powerup orbs and they get attached to the back of your plane (like a snake game). There are different kinds of powerup orbs and each gives you different powers (higher attack, different kind of attack, missiles, etc).

Basically, I like my plane to be really powerful when playing these games. And I dont see this in any of the current games. SpaceX is interesting because you have many things to buy, but it becomes more of a resource management / strategy thing. Whereas all I want to do is collect gazillion powerups and shoot everything thats on the screen :-D