★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Outer Court
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 1.9 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (2)
App description: In this fast-paced strategic action game designed specifically for the iPad, you and a friend sitting next to you each control an island shore with a set of creatures called Ogs. Drop them in the water with a single tap of your finger, then hope they'll reach the opposing shore of your friend, and make use of each of the Ogs' different skills like shooting, blocking, ring-making or flying. Just don't let your own shore be undefended, as your opponent will try to conquer your island at the same time!

This game needs two players, but only one iPad. iPad.net writes: "Ogs is a Two Player Treat ... Since you are playing a real opponent, game play achieves that certain level of unpredictability that is impossible to generate using a software programme ... Ogs becomes very addictive very quickly, especially when your opponent has trounced you a few times. You always want to get in a rematch to even up the scores ... A great game". (Here's the YouTube video showing the local multiplayer action: http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7TJRfZYpy4) Play this at home, in a coffee shop, a bar, on a train or boat, with friends, family or complete strangers... the world of Ogs will never be the same again.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

08-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I love two player iPad games but even with the video it is hard to tell what is going on here.

08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I especially love Kirk's advice! Addictive!

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
08-10-2010, 11:41 PM
Looks kewl. I'm down.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Toftt

Great idea, okay implementation, worth a buck.

Each Og has a different ability and or movement style. When the green energy bar reaches a unit, it becomes available. Tapping green rings provides additional energy. Placing greenies increases ring count. Some units are blockers, even for allied units. Reaching the opposing shore with any unit inflicts damage. Reach zero health, you die.

Two issues harm this otherwise good game, framerate and the end-game. The more units on the screen the more the framerate drops and this game has you placing plenty. The game itself lasts too long and the method the designers chose to mitigate that problem, a swarm of black bugs that target one player, is not ideal.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
08-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Creator of the game here, I'm really happy some of you like it and the game is mentioned here!

Quote:
Two issues harm this otherwise good game, framerate and the end-game. The more units on the screen the more the framerate drops and this game has you placing plenty. The game itself lasts too long and the method the designers chose to mitigate that problem, a swarm of black bugs that target one player, is not ideal.
Feedback duly noted, and many thanks. As for the framerate, yes, I will continue to look into ways to optimize the speed. I've already worked my way up from lower frame rates to where it is now, but like you I'm not 100% happy about the result. If only I knew how to make it even faster. I've created the game using JavaScript (I'm using the PhoneGap framework, which allows me to basically create a web page and turn it into an app). Speed is definitely a downside of this method.

As for the game lasting too long, I'd be really curious to learn with which kind of playing strategies it lasts too long. Basically, if there is a "dead lock" of two players being equally good or perhaps choosing defensive strategies, then after 20 minutes the at that time weaker player will be killed by the bug swarm, as you have noticed. However, that was kind of intended as a fallback time limit. What might be really optimal in terms of game play balance design would be to perhaps try to avoid allowing players to get into too many "gridlock" situations to begin with. Any screenshots or descriptions of such "locked" situations will help me trying to find ways to fine tune the game.

Quote:
Character design reminds me of the one from Mecho Wars.
Just looked up some screenshots from that one as I hadn't seen it yet, interesting comparison. My idea with the character design was to have every Og be unique both in shape and color, to be easily spotted during heavy fighting, to have the game be as intuitive as possible. (Well, the Shooter and the Bird have some common appearance, as the bird is a flying shooter... that's an exception.)

This is the first version, so I'm really happy for any feedback that you guys can offer in terms of two player game play strategies and Ogs balance, or any other feedback.

And if you know any one or any site which might like to learn about the game, and you like Ogs, please help spread the word. I also hope TouchArcade will perhaps one day review it. I'm a work-from-home/cafe developer and I would love to continue doing more two-player iPad games (I'm currently working on the second one). I am completely in love with the idea of using the iPad as a two-player (sitting next to each other) gaming device.

On another note, iPad.net now gave a review of the game.

Last edited by Philipp; 08-15-2010 at 06:10 AM.
08-15-2010, 06:26 AM
Oh, and I wanted to give you guys 3 promo codes:

F7HTPYFYFNYX
4LFYFYWTHNXH
YAWMM4HRAF9Y
08-15-2010, 06:53 AM
4LFYFYWTHNXH was taken by me, i thank you and will review
08-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Codes all gone. Would have liked to try.

Best App Site: FreeMyApps - Redeem paid apps for free on your iOS device!
08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
It seems very funny.