★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: *** A LIMITED TIME OFFER -50% OFF *** Because it is our first game, we offer -50 % off the price for a few days. Don't hesitate and buy before it ends! ***

Polar Fishing is an amazing logic game with beautiful hand-drawn graphics which provides hours of fun and brain challenge! You will be taken to the icy waters and icebergs of the North Pole where the Inuit have to survive the biting cold. Fish are a precious resource but catching them is not easy, especially when there are two Inuit trapped on one iceberg! Put your wit against your friend on your local network or on one device. If you do not have anyone else to play against, do not worry! Your device can take on that role with three difficulty settings.

Be smarter than your opponent and get all of the fish on your side! The gameplay is simple yet addictive and you will find yourself immersed in the breath-taking atmosphere of the cold North - but fear not! Your brain will be kept hot as you try to figure out the best strategy of getting three or more cubes into the same row or column faster than your opponent - while preventing him from doing the same!

Features:
@ Wi-Fi multiplayer
@ Single device multiplayer
@ Amazing hand-drawn graphics
@ AI with three difficulty settings
@ Unique and beautiful environment

Patr1k's comments:
We have decided to give -50% off the price as it is our first iPhone / iPod Touch game. Enjoy!

Polar Fishing is an amazing logic game with beautiful hand-drawn graphics which provides hours of fun and brain challenge! You will be taken to the icy waters and icebergs of the North Pole where the Inuit have to survive the biting cold. Fish are a precious resource but catching them is not easy, especially when there are two Inuit trapped on one iceberg! Put your wit against your friend on your local network or on one device. If you do not have anyone else to play against, do not worry! Your device can take on that role with three difficulty settings.

Be smarter than your opponent and get all of the fish on your side! The gameplay is simple yet addictive and you will find yourself immersed in the breath-taking atmosphere of the cold North - but fear not! Your brain will be kept hot as you try to figure out the best strategy of getting three or more cubes into the same row or column faster than your opponent - while preventing him from doing the same!

Features:
@ Wi-Fi multiplayer
@ Single device multiplayer
@ Amazing hand-drawn graphics
@ AI with three difficulty settings
@ Unique and beautiful environment

YouTube Official trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

08-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Looks interesting, although the music makes it sound like a tense experience... the "gameplay" bits of the video don't look all that tense. Looks like you take turns sliding blocks on the same puzzle board to make lines of 3+ fish in an attempt to get all the fish under the water to your side. At least that's what I took from the video, between the "dramatic" bits.

If you feel like PM'ing me a code, I'll be happy to review it.
08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Thank you very much for your reply. PM sent!
08-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Game Impressions

My "Polar Fishing" Review

Played one Single Player Game and one 2-Player Game on an iPad at 2x.

Gameplay:

Not what you might expect in a match-3 style of game. You have a stack of 5 icons by your eskimo that you pick from. Whichever one you pick as Player 1 moves straight to the right into the game board, displacing the tiles of that row to the right and knocking off the tile on the far right. Player 2 moves right to left. Any tiles in your stack above the one you placed fall downward and a new icon is put at the top.

If you create a match of 3 on the board, you get one fish from your opponents side, and vice-versa on your opponents turn. A match of 4 and you get 2 fish. I assume a match of 5 will give you 3 fish, but I never made one in my game.

Not being able to choose where to place your piece makes the game feel a lot like a tug of war. It's a very sedate and strategic game. Perhaps a bit too sedate.

Graphics:

Not bad, except there seems to be a conflict of artistic styles going on. The fish below are nicely animated when they move across the dividing line, however the way they are drawn doesn't match the line-edged art above them.

Sounds:

The sounds are okay. The background music during the game is decent, and subdued. It's a bit jarring on the main screen though. Blocks dropping sound solid.

Interface:

Functional, however the circle with the three horizontal lines next to the words "Player I" takes you out of the current game to the main menu and there's no way to resume your game. Don't hit it by accident. That said, there's no pause, but then there's no real reason for one. Just don't hit an icon and it'll wait for you.

Observations/Complaints:

There's a crow that moves across the screen in the background from side to side that matches the style of the fish… just no idea what a crow is doing at the north pole. A seagull would make more sense. Or a perhaps penguin waddling around in the background. Or occasionally, as my daughter says, a penguin with a jet pack.
----
This is not a game that can be played quickly, and being unable to pick where you would like a piece to be inserted into the board made it feel a bit random and annoying.
----
When I lost the single player game, it called me a "looser"… Technically, it should be spelled "loser", and even then it feels a bit insulting.
----
"Change Nick" in "Settings" doesn't seem to do anything, so I'm not sure of the point. In both single and two player modes, the names remain "Player I" and "Player II". Possibly it has to do with hosting or joining a wi-fi game, but I only used one device. If that's the case, I would recommend moving it from "Settings" onto the "Multi Player" setup screen. There's room.
----
Turn resolution needs to happen much faster. It was really noticeable in my 2-player game. I feel it needs to be at least twice as fast. Drop the new piece into the column at the same time as when you calculate matches on the board, not one after the other with about a 4 second pause between them.
----
There needs to be an indication of whose turn it is that's more obvious than the slight yellow glow around the eskimo. Perhaps animate it so the current eskimo's fishing line gets cast into the water as his turn starts, and the waiting eskimo's line is reeled in when his turn ends?
----
I played the single player game with my daughter for a half hour. The closest either of us came to winning was 8 to 2, and then the other would get some matches and it would even up again. We aborted after the half hour, tied back up at 5 to 5. I recommend a "Fast game" option of 6 fish total, 3 per side at the start.
----
Alternatively, allowing a player to enter their piece onto the board from any two sides (top and left for player one, right and bottom for player two for example) might allow for a more dynamic, faster flowing game, and then 10 fish might be right.
----
It might be a nice effect for the background to transition from day to night and then back again.
----
The video you've made for the game is very misleading. As I said before, it's edited to look like there's a lot of action in the game, and there just isn't. I feel it's mainly the musical score used, and the quick panning and cuts. I recommend doing a straightforward gameplay video, without getting terribly fancy in edit. That way people that are attracted to this style of game won't go into it thinking it's something that it's not. If you can't get excited about showing how the game really plays, then how can you expect a paying customer to feel once they've started playing it after watching the video? Maybe this is just me though.
----

Overall:

Not bad for a first entry into the app store. I've played far worse. Hopefully they will be willing to keep working at it and making it better, because I do see potential in it. I don't think they should raise the price above 99’ until some/all of the above issues are addressed in an update. My daughter and I did have fun with it, making it a decent two player game, it just needs to move a bit faster.