★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Game reviews??

View Poll Results: How important are reviews when it comes to buying games/apps??
Very Important 1 6.67%
It is one of the factors I weigh 13 86.67%
Doesn't really matter 1 6.67%
People actually read reviews? Since When? 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
03-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Game reviews??

How much do game reviews (whether it be iTunes reviews, TA articles, or whatever) influence you when buying a game/app?

Like if there was a game that you were sort of interested in and were on the fence about it but it good exceptionally good reviews would that be enough for you to buy it?
03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
not really

i buy a game from looking a video about the game what the gameplay look like and also review

03-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate5911 View Post
How much do game reviews whether it be iTunes reviews, TA articles, or whatever, influence you when buying a game/app?

Like if there was a game that you were sort of interested in and were on the fence about it but it good exceptionally good reviews would that be enough for you to buy it?
Reviews very greatly influence whether or not I get a game. Because, customers are the most like me (cause I'm one too, duh!) and if they don't enjoy the game, than I take that into much consideration.

For instance, I was looking into buying Orions, and I checked around and saw the ratings for this game were pretty good... but when I read/heard some bad reviews from friends and people on the iTunes store, I was turned off from the game and I ended up not even buying it. (Right now it's on my Snipe list on AppSniper)
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Im quite influenced by reviews, nice to see everyones opinons but in the its ure choice as to wether u buy the app or not
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Quote:
How much do game reviews (whether it be iTunes reviews, TA articles, or whatever) influence you when buying a game/app?

Game Reviews do have some sort of influence but if I'm set on buying a game even some negative reviews won't deter me after doing research on it.

After reading Sushi's excellent review of Virtual Villagers: The Lost Children, I knew I wanted to get it. I already was going in that direction for sure but he spoke about details and got in depth which helped my decision greatly.
03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Quote:

If I am on the fence...reviews make or break it for me.

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Game reviews are just part of the overall consideration. Often you'll find 5-star reviews in iTunes but you when click on the reviewer's name, they've only reviewed one or two other games...for the same dev. On the flip side, reviews in iTunes can be ridiculously flawed because you often see 1-star reviews from idiots based solely on the fact they missed out on a price drop or they can't install something correctly.

I'm generalizing, but that's why you research forums such as TA because people tend to be objective here to a certain degree.

Last edited by Big Albie; 03-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I don't listen to iTunes reviews. I never buy games blind, I always look here first. I follow detailed feedback from this site much more than a 2-star average on iTunes with 16 reviews by 12-year-olds saying, "Hey! This wont strt on my ipod. Game sux, needz to be fixd. Dont by!"

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
03-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisking1o1 View Post
I don't listen to iTunes reviews. I never buy games blind, I always look here first. I follow detailed feedback from this site much more than a 2-star average on iTunes with 16 reviews by 12-year-olds saying, "Hey! This wont strt on my ipod. Game sux, needz to be fixd. Dont by!"
yep thats right itunes review most of them are fake

good place to go are this website or slide to play
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
A review may get my attention, but it's always the discussions here at TA that do it for me. A few dozen nutcases with completely different expectations fighting over an app over several pages seem more reliable than the best reviewer imo!