★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

225 Downloads + 750 Open Feint users = Our game pirated?

08-14-2010, 06:03 AM
225 Downloads + 750 Open Feint users = Our game pirated?

Hey All,

We've just released our 5th studio game, and 4th on the iPhone. (You can see it's TA Thread here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=63941)

But I'm not here to talk about the game, I'm here to ask how bad your games have been pirated and what can you do to stop it?!

Our game has only been out since Thursday 12th August, but I've been using the number of players which have logged into OpenFeint and posted a score on the 1st level as a benchmark to how many downloads of the game we are having.

Our last game - WordSearch Rush used OpenFeint and only 30% of the users which downloaded it used OpenFeint, ~3000 Users and ~10000 sales. With these figures I was really excited to see our sales figures today...

But this time around, we've had 225 sales in the first 2 days, but with ~750 OpenFeint users ... Is this a Huge amount of piracy happening on our game? Or people signing into multiple accounts on the same App?

Is there any way to stop the pirates? I fear if you ask a website (E.g. Hotfile) to take the file down another one will soon spring up in it's place.

I knew there was piracy on the App Store, but I never realised it could be this huge. Are there any other explanations for this?

What are your thoughts?

We Are Colin - Indie Games from Derby, UK. Facebook Twitter YouTube
Gravity Runner - Running game with Retro Graphics
Screw The Dealer + iSevens - Card Games -
WordSearch Rush - Featured by Apple - Available now
08-14-2010, 06:25 AM
Sadly, it is probably piracy, as there aren't many people using multiple OF accounts.
Asking sites would probably be the best thing you can do, but it will only make it harder for them.

08-14-2010, 11:41 AM
also if people share iTunes accounts then its not piracy
08-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. You sales numbers are simply too low to offset the piracy rate right now. It's not like this is a linear trend, the piracy quickly tapers off.

Focus on other things and remain positive. A couple hundred sales in a 2 days isn't bad, so continue pushing things upward in that direction.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Of course people will try out your game for free. They likely wouldn't buy it anyway, so at least be thankful you're getting exposure to more users. That builds word of mouth for your app/company.

Why do you think Windows became so popular? Because it was easy to share programs with others. Back in the day, when computers cost $2-$3000, average Joe wasn't about to spend hundreds more on software. But since friends could set them up for free, they continued to use/buy PCs, and thus the dominance of Microsoft grew.

We live in an age where magical machines can create exact duplicates of some things, like music movies applications and literature. It requires new thought on the idea of what is "stealing" and what is simply a want to absorb as much media as you can for what limited budget you have. Noone is taking anything from anyone, simply sharing copies. It has been legitimized for books (libraries), music (recording of radio), TV (taping) and soon the old hats will come around to the reality of modern information accessibility.

PS downloading the odd TV show I miss doesn't deter me from watching 50 films a year at the theatre.

08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
This may not help but we have five openfeint accounts, leaving one on each system. If I dl a game that everyone wants to play, there may be five OF users but that rarely happens.
08-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I'd have to say that at least some of that is multiple devices on the same iTunes account. My wife and I both have an iPhone so any game I play that she likes will chalk up 1 download but two OF accounts, hers and mine. I imagine it's like that in a lot of household that have more than one iPhone/Touch in the house.

Not to say some of it isn't piracy, but I don't think it's as bad as you might fear.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
08-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Basically, the pirates seem to have a really good distribution system. Devs were posting stats here a year or so ago, from Pinch Media's analytics stuff, that implied piracy rates of 90% on their first few days sales.

It's possible that what is happening is:

A bunch of people, who never pay from anything anyway, download a zip of the latest new releases like they do every few days. Even if they like your game they are unlikely to play it as they aren't gamers, they're weirdos who get their kicks by trying 50+ new apps per week.

The figures should be very different after a few weeks.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
08-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by GlennX View Post
Basically ... they're weirdos who get their kicks by trying 50+ new apps per week.
Be careful, now you've just insulted the very kind of gamer who visits a site like this, one who is eager to snap up new titles with little restraint.

08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
It is piracy. I just found your app on a fileshare site. I'd post here but it is probably against the rules.

i'm a pretty kitty cat