★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Get Tapic for FREE this weekend!

08-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Get Tapic for FREE this weekend!

Tapic is a revolutionary rhythm game that allows you to play Tap Tap with your own iPod music!

To celebrate our new app Pocket Karaoke, Tapic will be free for the weekend! Get it before it is paid again!

Game Review on TouchArcade:http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/04/ta...music-library/

Previous Tapic Discussion Thread:http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=61999

Introduction Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA_QyqVcmnA

Tapic - Play music tap game with your own music!

Last edited by zentertain; 08-14-2010 at 09:38 AM.
08-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I be downloading this right now.

Invaders Must Die.

08-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to jwei44
Too bad I don't have 4.0. I don't even have a compiter at hand.
08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to fluffyguitarist
think i'll try this

I play guitarhttp://www.youtube.com/user/fluffyguitarist
I'm a Professional Philosoraptor.
Games? Super Quick Hook and Trees of Doom pretty much own.
08-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Send a message via AIM to jwei44
Someone want to gift me this while it's free?
08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I be downloadin'

Username on every gaming network I'm on: kaboom132. I have tested 21 games. Will test your game if you wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I think I was high when I typed that. My apologies.
08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm not much for these tap games, mainly because usually I don't like the included music. Using your own music though intrigued me. Mostly I wanted to see how well it worked, so I just played three games with three different songs with three distinctly different sounds. The results created some interesting extremes. All songs played at medium difficulty.

Song 1: 808 State - Azura (Techno, tons of breakbeats and percussive filigree)
- This didn't work out well at all. The breakbeats combined with lots of percussion and heavy layered bassline threw the game's tap detection off, so it didn't produce that many tap points. I picked this because it's an unconventional song (by mainstream standards) and because I wondered how well this game could pick out beats among the unusual rhythm and VU-peaking bassline. For the most part, it didn't. Lots of dead space where you weren't doing anything, and when it picked up beats they were sporadic and sparse.

Song 2: Def Leppard - Animal (Rock, totally straightforward stuff.)
- This worked out very well. It generated lots of good tap points which made the game much more playable.

Song 3: ATB - You're Not Alone (Euro trance, also quite straightforward with a pounding drum track and bold bassline)
- Jesus, this one was insane. The driving drum track and heavy squarewave bassline played in the middle of each beat generated a crapload of taps, tons of two-note singles and doubles with the occasional single and four-note taps to space things out a bit -- but not much. This one was hard to keep up with even on medium difficulty, but it did a very good job.

All in all I was surprised at how well it did at syncing taps to beats. Obviously it chooses which taps to lay down arbitrarily so it can get a little confusing at times when it picks taps at odd off-notes, but in general you can tap to the rhythm rather well.

It does take some time when you pick each new song to generate new taps, the longer the song, the longer it takes, but once it does so it's kept in your song playlist so it doesn't have to go through it again. The playlist itself displays weird; the song titles are obscured by the album art it pulls.

Not a bad little game as far as this sort of thing goes. It does do what it says well, so it's got that going for it. Pretty decent indeed.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

Last edited by Mindfield; 08-14-2010 at 01:52 PM.
08-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom132 View Post
I be downloadin'
ROFL.

Really good input Mindfield, I enjoyed reading it.

Invaders Must Die.
08-14-2010, 06:25 PM
It's definitely NOT in sync with your music. I tested so many songs and just got coincidences. But not one single track felt connected to the dots.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
08-15-2010, 05:39 AM
I bought this when it was a dollar and I like it. But like others have said it's not that well synced, although hip hop and pop (which sadly I don't really like that much) do seem quite well synced.

I kind of love the Arctic Monkeys
OF, GC:MrLambChopz
Hit me up with some SQH HC requests