★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Play the new 2D Platform game IceCube Adventures for your iPad in HD with unique one-touch control mechanics. No tilting/swiping or controls on your screen! Go on an adventure with IceCube to fight all evil in the world!

IceCube Adventure features:
- A challenging 2D Platform game like you never played before!
- Beautiful HD graphics combined with impressive game music and great sound effects delivers an immersive game experience.
- Play the game in easy or hard mode, to test if you are really able to master the game.
- Tutorial and Assistance Control
- Multitasking support

Explore many various places, visit the Dark Forest, find secret Caves, climb the Mountain and enter the Old Mine. IceCube Adventures will keep even the enthusiast gamers attracted for several hours. Solve puzzles, fight ShadowCubes, collect keys and acquire skills to save the world!

goiMot's comments:

Video:
http://www.icecubeadventures.com/
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Impressions by Gabrien in the iPhone thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
This is an odd one. Best way I can think to describe it, is take "The Impossible Game" and chuck it into a platform adventure. You're able to change direction but cannot stop. Controls are fine technically, but the mechanic feels infuriating at first. Then you get used to it and it feels...slightly less infuriating. Then, amid sporadic urges to throw your iPhone against the nearest wall, you find yourself performing feats you did not think possible. Occasionally.

Difficulty is definitely brutal. Perhaps for those looking for a challenge.
May be a game more suited on the iPhone.

08-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
May be a game more suited on the iPhone.
Should add this to the above to be fair:

Having spent about an hour with this so far and gotten to the first boss, I have to say I did not give this game enough credit at first. As familiarity with control and gameplay grows, (first step is to get past thinking in traditional platformer terms) the levels of frustration decrease significantly. What I find myself playing now, is a unique, addictive, highly polished platformer with a real sense of achievement and progression. Have to recommend this most highly.

Also, on the contrary, I think this game would play at least as well on the iPad if not better, as there is no tilt, control is with one finger only, and that finger on the iPad will be covering much less of the screen.
08-15-2010, 11:09 PM
So how do the controls work? Is this more of an action game or a puzzle game?
08-15-2010, 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
So how do the controls work? Is this more of an action game or a puzzle game?
Definitely action. Although, there are adventure elements such as locked doors, keys, hidden areas, blocks to push, etc.

Controls are: tap once to jump, twice to double jump. Tap in front of a ladder to climb. Hold finger to change direction. Those are the basics.
08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
So, Gabrien, recommended?
08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataloss View Post
So, Gabrien, recommended?
Definitely. See above. Word of warning though, give it a little time, and yourself a chance to get used to the controls and gameplay. My own impressions, 5 mins into the game vs 1 hour, are almost polarized.
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification Gabrien. This is back on the wish list.
08-15-2010, 11:53 PM
I can't view the video on my iPad. I will check it out on the computer tomorrow and if it looks good, I will grab it.
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I can't view the video on my iPad. I will check it out on the computer tomorrow and if it looks good, I will grab it.
Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF_WRzzxwE0

Youtube link | Pop Up