★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Super Methane Bros in Breach of GPL2

03-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Super Methane Bros in Breach of GPL2

Newly released game, ported under the the GNU GPL2 license.

Source code has not been made available. Link developer provides for email support does not exist. These people are stealing from the open source community and you. This application should not be FOR SALE until the source code is made readily available via download link or valid email request.

This app is originally written and provided to the community for free. Is it right they can charge you for it? NO. The GPL2 license requires that the complete source code is made available to everyone.
03-06-2009, 05:08 AM
You can try the email address on their contact page:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/ContactUs.php

Keep pulling the thread, my friend, and the sweater will unravel.

03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

Source code has not been made available. Link developer provides for email support does not exist. These people are stealing from the open source community and you. This application should not be FOR SALE until the source code is made readily available via download link or valid email request.

This app is originally written and provided to the community for free. Is it right they can charge you for it? NO. The GPL2 license requires that the complete source code is made available to everyone.
Just to be clear, they don't have to give the game away for free.

What they do have to do is, after you've bought it, give you the source code and let you do anything with it (including putting it back on the app store for free).
03-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post

I would need to check the license to make sure, but I thought that the GPL code doesn't have to be publicly available, but can be made available on request.

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertWittyName View Post
I would need to check the license to make sure, but I thought that the GPL code doesn't have to be publicly available, but can be made available on request.
Yes, and further only on request to those who have bought your product. I could make an "I am GPL rich" app for $999, and would only have to give out the source to people who bought it.

However, one thing it does look they are doing wrong is you do have to tell people in an easy way to find (manual or some such) that the app is under the GPL, and that they are allowed to ask for the source.
03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
It does say on the app description that the app is under GPL and source is available on request.

It's also repeated on the support page here: http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/SMB/

Didev Studios || Twitter || YouTube || Facebook
Releases
GeoSnake || Bugz || Review Scraper (Open Source)
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertWittyName View Post
It does say on the app description that the app is under GPL and source is available on request.

It's also repeated on the support page here: http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/SMB/
Woops, I missed that, but that isn't their fault.

Then, this whole thread is pointless, and they are doing nothing wrong...
03-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Typo in the email for mobilainteractive.

Sorry guys, there was a typo in the support email provided to the app store. I've submitted the correction and it will be visible in the app store once released by Apple. If anyone wants the source and has purchased the app, please email me at support@mobilainteractive.com

Again, I apologize for the broken email, it was completely unintentional.
03-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I have not purchased the app.

Could someone send me a copy please? PM for my email, thanks.
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markx2 View Post
I have not purchased the app.

Could someone send me a copy please? PM for my email, thanks.
???? You want someone to PM you so you can give them your email so they can send you what? If you haven't purchased the game then you aren't entitled to anything.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre