★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Star Breed - Sci Fi Action Gamebook - Gameplay Trailer

08-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Star Breed - Sci Fi Action Gamebook - Gameplay Trailer

Hey guys,

We're just finishing up Episode 1 of our first gamebook, Star Breed.

Star Breed is a Sci-Fi action gamebook spiced up with real-time mini games. We're very excited to share a gameplay trailer with you.

Features:
• A mature, fast-paced story set in an original sci-fi universe
• Battle enemies and hack computer terminals in seamless, real-time mini-games (no dice
• Characters that converse with you and even join you on your adventure
• Intense atmosphere: Dynamic musical score and full page, color illustrations
• Intuitive gameplay; you don’t have to have played a gamebook before!

Would love to hear what you guys think. You can find out more on our website www.starbreedgame.com, or join our facebook page.

UPDATE: August 29, 2010
A shot from the second chapter, where the horrific truth of the danger you're in finally dawns on you.

I Won't Fall - an adorable new 2D platformer for iPhone and iPad

Co-Founder, Agni Studios (Facebook, Twitter)

Last edited by sureshvs; 08-29-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Updated with Chapter Illustration
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice trailer, you have my attention Will there be an iPad or universal version?

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!

08-17-2010, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Nice trailer, you have my attention Will there be an iPad or universal version?
Thanks songbird. We're currently focused on getting the iPhone version out. Once that's done, we'll get a custom iPad version to take advantage of the iPad's size.

Since we're doing real-time mini games for the battles and hacks, the iPad will be an interesting challenge for us but something we're excited to explore.

08-20-2010, 09:22 PM
I wanted to share some more information with all of you about the unique experience of Star Breed.

A lot of people get highly nostalgic when we talk about gamebooks. But there's an equally large audience out there that has never played a gamebook - who don't necessarily see the draw of gamebooks. So, when we started developing Star Breed, we wanted to re-imagine the presentation style and game mechanics for today's audience, while still retaining everything that we love about gamebooks ourselves.

One of the earliest decisions we took towards this was to provide a continuous cinematic score throughout Star Breed. For this, we have implemented a Dynamic Music System that allows us to change the background music according to specific in-game events. This is not very different from what you see in bigger RPG titles like Mass Effect or Morrowind. Star Breed has several custom tracks to fit the varied moods and in-game events. This allows us to provide a thrilling and cinematic experience ... even while reading! So whether you're creeping down a dark tunnel, battling blood-thirsty creatures or running for your life across an apocalyptic landscape, the music of Star Breed will constantly shift to heighten your experience.

I want to share one such track that we use for our Battle scenes

Listen on youtube:

Youtube link | Pop Up

08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
This sounds great, It sounds like you've made some nice changes to the usual Gamebook style. I can't wait to get my hands on this.
08-20-2010, 09:56 PM
This definitely has my attention!

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

We're releasing the Battle Music MP3 as a free download. So, for all those who are interested, here's the link:

Battle Music OST Preview - MP3

Last edited by sureshvs; 08-21-2010 at 12:42 PM.
08-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Looks great, I'll be watching for this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
08-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Looking forward to this!

Username on every gaming network I'm on: kaboom132. I have tested 21 games. Will test your game if you wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I think I was high when I typed that. My apologies.
08-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Hey guys! Beta for this is now currently on-going. I can tell you guys; for fans of the CYOA genre this is a game to be on your radar. It is A-MAZ-ING!!!

Soi-Fong out!

Attending DePaul University
Major: Computer Game Programming
Minor: Japanese Studies
Hoping to eventually work for a company such as Media Molecule or Polyphony Digital.