★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best roguelike for a player new to the genre?

08-17-2010, 05:37 AM
Best roguelike for a player new to the genre?

Which one of the many options out there would you recommend for an RPG fan who has never played Rogue or any roguelike game?

Add me on GameCenter (and every other network!) my user ID is kushykush on all of them!
08-17-2010, 05:43 AM
There's been a lot of chat about rogues on these forums lately. Most people - I'm one of them - would recommend Sword of Fargoal as a good place to start, and end, and end, and end, etc...

08-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to mattll
Quote:
Originally Posted by del View Post
There's been a lot of chat about rogues on these forums lately. Most people - I'm one of them - would recommend Sword of Fargoal as a good place to start, and end, and end, and end, etc...
i started with sword of fargoal (on the ipod , played them on my pc on the good old time ) and i can recommend it too

Quote:
Wow! You are the Lionel Messi of the Touch Soccer world!!!
i tested 31 games
08-17-2010, 05:52 AM
How is the difficulty level? Will I be tearing my eyes out and stomping on my phone or is it easy enough to pick up but harder later on?

I'd like the most replay value as possible.

Add me on GameCenter (and every other network!) my user ID is kushykush on all of them!
08-17-2010, 05:59 AM
This is what you're looking for. There's a nice gentle difficulty slope that teaches you how to play it as you go. Each time you play, your game will get progressively longer. It's easy to pick up and play. Hard to put down though. Great game.
08-17-2010, 06:06 AM
Welp, I'm sold! Thanks del

08-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KushyKush View Post
Welp, I'm sold! Thanks del
Hope you like it, after praising it so highly. I'm sure you'll like it though. Just don't judge it immediately. The very first time I played it, I played for about 5 minutes, didn't die or anything, but didn't really see what was good about it. But the second time I played it, I realized how good it was. As in all rogue games, it becomes more and more strategic, and more and more tense the longer you play. You've put more time into it so you have more to lose, so to speak. So you find yourself in its grip and it becomes pretty tense, more than I thought a game that looked like that could be.
08-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Solomon's Keep is an extremely simple, accessible rogue-like that I've been addicted to for the past couple days.

If you have never played a rogue-like before, it will get you accustomed to the basics.

EDIT: At the other end of the spectrum, I have a masochistic affinity for unforgiving games. Are there are roguelikes for the ipod/iphone that really kick your ass?

I haven't played many, so iNetHack is all I can throw out there.

Last edited by Sucker Punch; 08-17-2010 at 07:32 AM.
08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker Punch View Post
Solomon's Keep is an extremely simple, accessible rogue-like that I've been addicted to for the past couple days.

If you have never played a rogue-like before, it will get you accustomed to the basics.

EDIT: At the other end of the spectrum, I have a masochistic affinity for unforgiving games. Are there are roguelikes for the ipod/iphone that really kick your ass?

I haven't played many, so iNetHack is all I can throw out there.
I didn't know Solomon's Keep was a roguelike. I'm enjoying fargoal a lot minus having to wait up to heal a fair amount, is that normal? I want to save my health potions for near death situations, that's the best idea right?

08-17-2010, 07:45 AM
having to walk around to regain your health is the one downside about the game, although I don't mind it that much. I see it as part of what makes it tough. You have to avoid getting into fights until you are stronger. I hear, though, that this is going to be tweaked a bit in the coming update.