★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Has your iDevice changed the way you play games?

03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Has your iDevice changed the way you play games?

I'm curious to see if anyone else has found that their iDevice (thanks, Don) has radically altered the way they play games. For me, it most definitely has, and I'm finding that in some ways that other forms of entertainment are becoming less appealing.

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

It might sound silly, but I tend not to swap out discs or carts too much. Typically, I'll get a game, play it to death, then move on to the next. It's quite rare that I come back to it after I move to something else (there are exceptions, but I'm speaking generally). This is perhaps part of the reason I seldom finish titles.

By contrast, with my iPhone, I'm constantly hopping back and forth between a variety of games depending on my mood, sometimes within a single play session.

How, if at all, has your iDevice changed the way you play?
03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Most definitely more versatile with my Touch gaming then when on a console. The ease and portability of the Touch/iPhone and the game themselves make for quicker pick up and play. I find this more fun and easily can jump around to any genre game I wish without a lot of hassle. Of course I like my console games too but find the Touchs quicker excess more appealing.

03-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
I'm curious to see if anyone else has found that their iDevice (thanks, Don) has radically altered the way they play games. For me, it most definitely has, and I'm finding that in some ways that other forms of entertainment are becoming less appealing.

Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

It might sound silly, but I tend not to swap out discs or carts too much. Typically, I'll get a game, play it to death, then move on to the next. It's quite rare that I come back to it after I move to something else (there are exceptions, but I'm speaking generally). This is perhaps part of the reason I seldom finish titles.

By contrast, with my iPhone, I'm constantly hopping back and forth between a variety of games depending on my mood, sometimes within a single play session.

How, if at all, has your iDevice changed the way you play?
Well I haven't touched a controller in like 2 months so thats saying something...This has sadly(??) become my dominant gaming machine. There's just so much new stuff all the time, and finding games is sometimes as much fun as playing them. I am I little worried as I haven't been able to "turn off" in a while, but whether that's bad or good is a whole other argument...
03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Funny, this is how it works for me on the iPod Touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Typically, I'll get a game, play it to death, then move on to the next.
Exactly the opposite!

Stefan
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I agree that iDevices have drastically changed gaming, but I think they have also readically changed the gaming market for the devs and publishers as well! I told my wife (yeah...I am married) that I haven't really been bored for more than a minute since I got my iPod. That is crazy! I love this thing!

I am the managing editor of nodpad.com.

Sporting an iPod Touch 2 Gen
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
1. It makes me play a lot more, that's for sure. Because I almost always have it in my pocket. Plus, I don't feel like a nerd when playing it in public, unlike playing a DS / PSP. It's cute if I play DS together with my girlfriend, but otherwise I'd feel embarrassed.

Initially, I didn't feel comfortable pulling out my iPhone as people looked at me and they might've thought I was just showing off my shiny new gadget. Now that it's more popular, I'm comfortable.

2. I previously was only interested in long games / rpg / adventure / sport (Final Fantasy, Zelda, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden, Mario Bros, Pro Evo), but now I'm more open to pickup-and-play games like iDracula and LightBike.

3. I hope Apple will soon solve the 148-apps limit.
03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I really like playing games on my iphone - before, i never played any game on a handy, and taking my Nintendo DS to work or somewhere else...wah i don't know.
It definatly changed a lot for me because my iphone follows me anywhere I go and so i have the possibility to play games aiting on someone, waiting in the ordination of a doctor or anything like this!
For me it changed really a lot!
Sometimes I am sitting at my couch and prefer playing on my iPhone than turning on the Xbox360 or Wii!
03-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
Funny, this is how it works for me on the iPod Touch: Exactly the opposite!
LoL yep same here, I have about 50 games I haven't even started to "really" play

Gamecenter:1337brian
03-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, my name is Eric, and I'm an iDevice-aholic. B.P. (Before iPod), I was a swinger. I'd jump from Pocket PC to Palm to DS, sometimes all in the same night! The horrors of it all! Now I dust most of those devices off just so I can move them to another spot. The iPod Touch currently meets all my gaming needs, and to pick up another mobile device makes me feel like I'm cheating. But, I've said too much...

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Sure, perhaps the best thing about gaming on the iPhone is that for the most part it's extremely intuitive. Most games let you quit out and save your game for later, whenever you want to do so - and also fade out their own music and play yours over their sound effects, without you having to go into a settings panel.

You will get games that are a little in the past, but a good number have save on quit down. So you can just hit Home and never worry that you'll lose progress. Which is a good thing, obviously.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.
www.gamesuncovered.com
twitter.com/gamesuncovered
youtube.com/gamesuncovered