Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 AM
iPad

Default Monster Dash - by Halfbrick Studios

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Quote:
What's New in Version 1.20
NEW LEVEL, NEW MONSTER, NEW WEAPON AND GAME CENTER!

Monster Dash fans - you are in for a treat! This is by far our BIGGEST update ever, and we're showing our support by kicking the action into a higher gear!

NEW LEVEL AND MONSTER - Yeti Heights, featuring massive abominable snowmen to blast! With falling snow and music taking cues from Jingle Bells, this is one cool addition.

NEW WEAPON
- Rocket Launcher! This bad boy will decimate monsters with a special lock-on feature, also dealing collateral damage to any nearby spikes or hazards. At speed you will be a major force to be reckoned with!

GAME CENTER - Leaderboards and Achievements are good to go, so get online with your Game Center account and show the world your scores! *** Game Center minimum requirements - iOS4.1 and iPhone 3GS/iTouch 2G ***

All the action is now yours to enjoy in this free update. Keep spreading the word of Monster Dash and we can keep supporting the game with new content and updates, bringing Barry Steakfries even more love!

Do the Dash!

The Halfbrick Team
Quote:
What's New In Version 1.10
INTRODUCING THE BADASS HOG - BARRY'S NEW MOTORBIKE!
BADASS HOG - Look out for this high-powered beast along the way to do some serious damage! You're invincible while riding, so feel free to mow down any monster in your path. Better yet, the Badass Hog comes fully equipped with a high powered pump-action shotgun. If blasting while riding in your thing, we have you covered!
NEW ACHIEVEMENT - The Badass Hog has your hookup with this!
NEW STATS - Monsters run down and blasted by the Hog!
HEART FIXES - Improved heart placement for easier collection!

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 10-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: v1.2
Old 08-18-2010, 06:00 AM
iPad

Default Impressions/reviews

TA Review : http://toucharcade.com/2010/08/18/mo...ry-steakfries/
Quote:
....The graphics in Monster Dash consist of fantastically drawn sprites, and the fast paced music fits perfectly with the pace of the game. Overall, Monster Dash is just a ton of fun, the controls are simple and just consist of tapping either side of the iPhone screen to jump or fire, and I'm really having a hard time finding anything to complain about.
============
User impressions..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealworm View Post
I know many people don't have or can't buy the game yet but I am posting my first impressions so others can decide whether to buy it or not .
First impressions:
Played about 10 minutes and game is really good. It is a great pick up and play style game . Graphics are good and the backgrounds and enemies change throughout each attempt . The weapon gameplay is awesome , it's really adicting and the openfeint leader boards and loads of achievements add some replay value. Would deffinately recommend the game to everyone who likes pick up and play games !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmonkey101 View Post
hmm...

first off, the game looks fantastic. i loved fruit ninja and this look just as polished and fun. however, im not sure how much i NEED another canabalt-style game. ya know. fruit ninja was so original, i wish this was just as original.
Also, the ground that the man stands on moves pretty quickly (not that that's a bad thing), but it makes my head hurt a little bit when i look a it... but anyway, i wish you best of luck and im sure this will be a hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
Bought it even though I grumbled about it in the upcoming thread and I can't really see where all this restless enthusiasm is coming from tbh :s
Yes the artstyle is very pretty and it's very neatly put together, but considering this is the developer of something so new at the time (fruit ninja) this really does whiff a bit of a canabalt clone with violence and zombies tacked on.
There's no doubt i'l continue to play this now and then, but 'best casual game ever'? I think halfbricks previous work still easily holds that title without much worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchChatterbox View Post
***** - Half-Brick have done it again with this high-paced game offering spooky run-and-gun fun-without-vampires-twinkling-in-the-sun. The only twinkling is the polish that has gone into the engaging sprites, the way the monsters & setting change every 1000 meters, rocking soundtrack & those delicious weapons. So let the twilight fade and make your next horror adventure Monster Dash! (TouchChatterbox, GymnastSoup on the Aussie App Store)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranb28 View Post
Cheers to Phil and Muscat for putting out an absolutely charming gem of a gameplay experience. I've played 4 games so far (highest score in the mid-4k's) and my comments are as follows:

1. The initial 'wow, this is freaking FUN' factor I got while playing Fruit Ninja for the first time, wasn't there. I knew I was going to be hooked on Fruit Ninja when I first started playing it, but Monster Dash isn't doing it for me yet.

2. Things take some time to get rolling... when you have scores in the thousands and you suddenly lose and need to start over, you internally know that you need to spend 2-3 minutes getting back up to that score and it's a bit demotivating and/or boring. Perhaps adding power-ups to make Barry go 'psycho' would help speed things up a bit?

3. The weapons arsenal is fun, but limited - am sure you guys are working on upgrades for this, so won't go into any details!

Not sure what else to say. The game is enjoyable, but isn't reeling me in similar to how Fruit Ninja did. If I have to compare this game to Solipskier, I find the latter more fun because of the skill required to maneuver the terrain so you can get a higher score. On the other hand, navigating Barry and making sure he doesn't take an ill-advised step or run smack-dab into an enemy seems more of a game of chance. Perhaps a better sense of speed combined with lesser gaps in some areas (+1 for motion blurriness) would help things move along?

3.5/5 for me so far. Can't wait to see what you guys have planned in store as far as upgrades are concerned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoyan View Post
I bought this game earlier today when it came out, and so far I am pleased, which is, for me, saying a lot of a high-score game.

As I said earlier in this thread, I am by no means a high-score gamer as I prefer a bit of a deeper gameplay experiences, and I'd never even bought one before Monster Dash. All the other games of this genre I had played (they are not many, I have to say), I got for free during promotions, and they'd never live very long on my iPod.

Maybe, obviously because I didn't play a lot of these games before, I can't be jaded by the genre and I can't say that I'm tired of it. But I am having a fun time with this one so far. I can't say, however, how long it'll keep me interested or how it compares to the big names of the high-score genre.

I know that the dev, Halfbrick, have an impressive record of keeping their previous game updated with lots of fresh content. Maybe it'll help keep me interested in this one.

A couple things I noticed while going through a first few runs:

The game needs new physical obstacles outside of spikes. The change may be only graphical, but spikes after spikes after spikes is boring. I'm thinking, pools of monstrous acid, bombs, that kind of happy things.

Another physical obstacle that could be fun to have is something that makes you bounce back if you fall on top of it. Trampoline, old mattresses, pile of corpses ... Maybe this one would be too frustrating to handle, however, as you would sometimes bounce back right into a pit and couldn't do anything about it. Just an idea.

New weapons and environment go without saying, but I'm pretty sure the dev are already hard at work on these ones.

Well, these were my my early impressions and feedback, from someone who usually doesn't like this type of game. You at least got me to enjoy your game guys, so I'd say great job here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlibd View Post
Been playing and all I can say this is very fun, going for achievements give you an incentive to play with different strategies (trying to complete the run 2k without killing any monsters makes me feel like I'm playing canabalt in a sense).

Perhaps an option though to turn on temporary invincibility after being hit by an obstacle/monster. I tend to feel ransacked whenever there's a group of monsters

Just my two cents

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 08-19-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-18-2010, 06:01 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen)

Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM

Grats to those of you who have been waiting.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen)

Great !!!!! , downloading now ......
Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
Grats to those of you who have been waiting.
HALLELUJAH!

How many more hours till the US Launch?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:04 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

and monster dash still wont show up on the NZ app store for me -_-
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
HALLELUJAH!

Well, it's after the uk launch which is in 13 hours...
Old 08-18-2010, 06:05 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
HALLELUJAH!

...about 17...
Old 08-18-2010, 06:06 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataloss View Post
...about 17...
The torture...
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

and while you're all waiting, i think i'll go along and play my beta build of it