★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Just Fillin' (99 cents) [Under Radar]

03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Just Fillin' (99 cents) [Under Radar]

Just Fillin' ($0.99), released Jan 28th by playtoniq, seems to have dropped under many people's radar.

[AppShopper] [AppStore] [Lite]

This morning I read a review of the game over at RazorianFly, and the game seems pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorianFly
The aim of the game is to drop enough super-sized bubbles into the water in order to raise the overall water level and fill the screen 100%. Based on the size and weight of bubble you create and the impact it has on the water level, the game will score you. However, with flying spiked covered balls floating about, it’s not as easy as it all sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStore Description
Use your fingers to blow bubbles until the screen is filled up. But its not that easy. Vicious spikey balls are flying all over the screen, ready to burst your bubble.

Use advanced techniques like tilting and tossing bubbles to trap the spikeys and clear space to fill the screen. Compete against the world on our online leaderboard. Enjoy!

This version contains UNLIMITED levels, and an diabolical HARD mode.

So, anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I already have Virus try lite so looks pretty much identical to me and plus it was $2 forever only recently a $1. I do like Virus better than Expando try lite. All these games the same (correct me if I'm wrong) so just take your pick.

03-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Kind of seems too similar to other games of the same genre.
Virus and a few other who's names escape me right now but other than the water level rising, it's essentially still the same gameplay of holding your finger on the device, making a large bubble and trying to fill up as much of the screen as possible.

Edit: Seems mrbass responded at the same time, and named Expando which is one of the other names which was escaping me.
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
mrbass, Mr. Charley - I'm glad to see you write that. I agree with your opinion. On the other hand there's still something attractive in the Filler idea. That's why I've created a game build on the same concept, but tried to put some freshness in it. Take a look at this thread this thread. True, my game isn't as pretty as Virus or Just Fillin', but in my opinion new features totally change the way this kind of filling game is played

Of course it's players role to judge that, that's why I encourage you to try
03-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Cog View Post
mrbass, Mr. Charley - I'm glad to see you write that. I agree with your opinion. On the other hand there's still something attractive in the Filler idea. That's why I've created a game build on the same concept, but tried to put some freshness in it. Take a look at this thread this thread. True, my game isn't as pretty as Virus or Just Fillin', but in my opinion new features totally change the way this kind of filling game is played

I was just about to say it sounded exactly like your game
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I did a review on Just Fillin' a while back, and it's quite good. Simple, clean, basic advancement (one more spikey ball per level to avoid). Nothing really fancy, but it has a nice (if simple) accelerometer-based physics system which plays to the game's strategy, especially in the higher levels. You can't flip like you can in Virus or a couple of others I played -- that would make this game far too easy -- but it responds to left and right tilt just enough to add an element of skill and strategy, which is nice.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Cog View Post

I see your point.
While the tilt control is not new to the genre on this device as both Virus and Expando use it, the multi-touch is potentially intriguing.
03-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Ok will try Ball Fill when lite version comes out. still waiting for a "good" lemme reiterate that "good" feeding frenzy clone where you swim eating small fish and grow in size while avoiding the big fishies and sharks. Think it'd work as long as your fish is about 1/2 inch above your finger so you can see yourself.
03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Have you guys seen the high scores on this game lately? I thought I was playing fairly well scoring a couple of million points. Then I went to the leader board and some guy has scored 1 BILLION!! I contacted the developer to see if the board was hacked, and he said people are playing a single game for 15 hours!!!! He had some screen shots. And that one guy 'broke' the game by scoring over 2 Billion!

I simply have no idea how these people are getting those scores. I want to see video of someone playing the highest level at close to 1 BILLION points.

If you can play this game with over 500 million points, please You Tube it.

PS. I just bought 'Ball Fill' after reading this thread.

Last edited by d4l3; 03-11-2009 at 02:43 PM.
03-27-2009, 02:30 AM
I've been addicted to this game latley. I originally had no idea it was tilt controled until I tried to play it laying down and noticed all the bubbles falling to one side.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*