★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Quell - FREE for a limited period!

08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Quell - FREE for a limited period!

Quell has been the subject of a lot of glowing feedback and some positive reviews. For this, we at Fallen Tree Games wanted to give something back to the community...

We are delighted to announce that, effective immediately, and for a very limited time only, Quell is now absolutely free!

To those that haven't played it yet, grab it quick!

Youtube link | Pop Up
08-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Less than 2 weeks later it is free. How is this giving back to those of us that already paid, even the measly 99 cents, to support you?

Do what you need to to market your great game, but please don't word it that way. It feels like a slap in the face - thanks for the support early adopters, now we will give it away for free to everyone else.

It just feels wrong to me. But of course anything is possible in the app store.

08-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Need more

Like the game (even if I did pay for it )

Took a little more than 5 hours to perfectly solve the 72 puzzles. It would be great if all that work unlocked more than just another four puzzles which I haven't started yet.

Where is 1947 to present?

Is Quell 2 coming?

As a developer (WordSnake, Sudoku 3D...) I know price drops can stimulate interest. I'm okay with it.

Great job on these puzzles, Fallen Trees, but I'm looking for the next version to be harder.
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_Breaker View Post

As a developer (WordSnake, Sudoku 3D...) I know price drops can stimulate interest. I'm okay with it.

Great job on these puzzles, Fallen Trees, but I'm looking for the next version to be harder.
This much I know. I know that is an app store marketing strategy. I get it. I just took offense at how they worded it is all. Like saying thanks for the support (buyers) so to thank you we make it free (but to others, not you that already paid).

I am only half way through - I guess the lesson I take away is unless I am ready to invest 100% of my time into a game I wait to get it because it will probably be free at some point.
08-18-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
This much I know. I know that is an app store marketing strategy. I get it. I just took offense at how they worded it is all. Like saying thanks for the support (buyers) so to thank you we make it free (but to others, not you that already paid).

I am only half way through - I guess the lesson I take away is unless I am ready to invest 100% of my time into a game I wait to get it because it will probably be free at some point.
Yeah, I don't get the statement about giving back to the community because of the community's positive feedback either. Giving back to the community giving feedback would mean releasing a nice update or something like that, no? I don't see how a community that doesn't already own the game can be giving great feedback.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Do whatever you need to do to get the word out. That's my stance. This game deserves every bit of attention it should be getting.

But I do agree with New England Gamer about the wording of this post. To give back to the community by making it free doesn't make sense.

わたしのねこはがこうえいきます。
私の猫は学校絵行きます。
08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Modernize the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post

Wouldn't it be nice if Apple allowed we developers to directly reward our consumers. Special upgrades, gifts, etc directly to those who got you there. But that would violate their policy of 'what you offer one person must be offered to all.'

I agree with you on the wording. I'll chalk it up to bad writing along with a generous spirit.
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I rarely buy games made by indie devs since i know that they will be free later on...

Please continue making great games, and then, make them free!

Thank you, and thank you in advance.
08-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_Breaker View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if Apple allowed we developers to directly reward our consumers. Special upgrades, gifts, etc directly to those who got you there. But that would violate their policy of 'what you offer one person must be offered to all.'

I agree with you on the wording. I'll chalk it up to bad writing along with a generous spirit.
I can accept that. I understand all the techniques, I have stood by developers as others got mad at their pricing decisions. I have been on the other side. Spent even more than 99 cents on an app that shortly later went free. It is just this statement:

"For this, we at Fallen Tree Games wanted to give something back to the community..."

that I take offense with. You aren't giving back to the supportive community - you are trying to increase your community (and this game DOES deserve a community I will say) Yes I understand the Apple policies and all that - I do. But I am not looking for thanks for purchasing something that I enjoy - the enjoyment is the reward, so I am not expecting anything more. Just poor writing as you say because that does feel like a slap and does make me ponder my next purchase.

Two games in the last day were released at 2.99 and are either free today or at 99 cents within hours. I feel bad for those people who spent about a buck an hour for the privilege of being the first to own those games. Yes, you do what you have to do, yes, I TOTALLY agree, but someone in the end is going to feel bad.

That said, Quell so far has been great, a little on the easy side, but I love these sort of puzzlers so I might have more experience than most. But I see the sentiment is that it is easy as well. But that is ok because once in awhile we need something easy and relaxing to occupy our time.
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
You're not alone in your thoughts, NEG.

I hope for the success of the dev, but at the same time, I'm noting this price drop. Next time it's unlikely I'll pick up one of their games in the first month of release. That's not anger on my part, I feel it's simply common sense.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms