★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Top 5 Lists

08-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Top 5 Lists

Here's a collection of Top 5 lists. Why did I make all of these? Because I felt like it!

Top 5 Most Overrated Games

Minigore - One of the most repetitive and dull dual-stick shooters is somehow one of the highest-rated? What?
Space Invaders Infinity Gene - stylish, but far too easy and monotonous as hell.
Grokion - Great graphics and gameplay, but horrid controls and terribly imbalanced difficulty.
Battle for Wesnoth - I couldn't stand to play through even one campaign. The graphics are very sub-par and the interface feels so... bleh...
Angry Birds - all the levels in the world can't make up for what, at times, is aggravatingly random gameplay.

Top 5 Most Underrated Games

Phoenix Wright - PocketGamer actually gave it a 6/10!
PathPix Pro - The ONLY site that has acknowledged its awesomeness is Slide to Play*.
Snail Mail - An insanely fun and fast-paced racer/platformer/shooter with endless value.
Fantastic Contraption - an ambitious physics puzzler with infinite solutions to each level and an online level/solution sharer.
JellyCar 2 - Great controls, lots of levels, and an easy-to-use level editor make it a great physics game.

*If I'm wrong about this and there is another site that loves PathPix, PLEASE don't correct me.

Top 5 Best Ports

Phoenix Wright - A 30-hour $30 DS game for 5 bucks? Yes please...
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 - Who knew it would work so well?
Monkey Island 2: Special Edition - A brilliant adventure game with a revamped presentation and great control.
Peggle - The touch screen works brilliantly for this classic casual game.
Galcon - Once again, the touch screen proves mightier than the mouse when it comes to 60-second RTS madness.

Top 5 Best Original Characters

Galactus from Space Miner - His dialogue is simply hilarious.
The Bryce Family from Spider - So mysterious, and yet so human.
Helsing and Raffton from Helsing's Fire - Two words: fist bump.
John Gore from Minigore - he's just such a cool dude, and his voice is awesome.
The King from Rolando - instantly recognizable to anyone who played iPhone games back in 2008.

UPDATE: Here's two more lists for you all to argue about!

Top 5 Best-Looking iCons (see what I did there?)

Carcassonne
NOVA
Space Miner
I Dig It
GeoDefense

Top 5 Best High Score-Based Games

Tilt to Live - Simple, addictive, fun. What else would you need?
Super QuickHook - A great Racer/Platformer/Adventure game with retro style and immense replayability
Meteor Blitz - The best dual-stick shooter I have ever played. Enough said.
Jet Car Stunts - A time-trial racer with more tracks that you could ever want.
Fruit Ninja - Slice fruit. As boring as that sounds, it makes for a satisfying and unique game.

Last edited by csklimowski; 08-19-2010 at 08:50 PM.
08-18-2010, 06:11 PM
wait... what? huh?

08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Your wrong. Phoenix wright isn't any better than a 6.
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
angry birds is easily one of the best games on the iphone. just because it's been the #1 app for months doesn't mean you have to go against the majority.
"aggravatingly random gameplay"?
it sounds like you might just be bad at the game.
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Amen to Minigore.

Invaders Must Die.
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyrefinedpirate View Post
angry birds is easily one of the best games on the iphone. just because it's been the #1 app for months doesn't mean you have to go against the majority.
"aggravatingly random gameplay"?
it sounds like you might just be bad at the game.
Maybe I am, but in my experience with the game, some levels can be beaten on the first try, while others have such a dependency on luck that it takes dozens of tries to get a bird in the exact place it need to be for you to succeed. I'm not saying it's a bad game; in fact, it can be really enjoyable at times. It's just that it has caused me more frustration than almost any other app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codycat View Post
Your wrong. Phoenix wright isn't any better than a 6.
It's all a matter of opinion, my friend. I found it to be one of the most unique and memorable gaming experiences on any handheld console.
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Switch Phoenix Wright with Angry Birds and that's my opinion for those two games.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
Switch Phoenix Wright with Angry Birds and that's my opinion for those two games.
Don't see what your problem is with Phoenix. Maybe you just don't like reading.
08-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Barry Steakfries from Monster Dash gets my vote as a top 5 character. I know it's not even out worldwide yet but I've just been playing it and this guy defines badassery. Plus his name is epic.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
Don't see what your problem is with Phoenix. Maybe you just don't like reading.
Let's see, action adventures don't appeal to me, reading on my gaming device over a book makes no sense whatsoever to me, it has poor graphics, and the story is NOT that good.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth