★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App Store Glitch?

08-18-2010, 11:02 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
App Store Glitch?

Not sure why this is happening (seems to have started today), but every category's New & Noteworthy and What's Hot sections seem to only be displaying apps whose names start with letters from the beginning of the alphabet. Instead of displaying the featured apps that Apple has chosen, they are only showing apps whose names start with numbers and A's. It's good if your app ranked in the top 120 alphabetically because then it'll make into What's Hot, but this is definitely not supposed to happen! This glitch is happening in game sub categories as well, which will affect my game sales since the game just got featured yesterday and is now nowhere to be seen. There has always been a way to order all the apps alphabetically and that's why people name their apps starting with A's (e.g. "a Calculator Pro"), but now they their apps will appear in New & Noteworthy and What's Hot categories as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hopefully they're just in the middle of updating the App Store, but it would be nice to hear your thoughts on it as well.
08-18-2010, 11:04 PM
#2
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,449
Just checked the new and noteworthy section of the iPad puzzle games and its only A games and even games that are rather old. I hope they do B tomorrow!

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!

08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
#3
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Just checked the new and noteworthy section of the iPad puzzle games and its only A games and even games that are rather old. I hope they do B tomorrow!
Yes, that means it's also affecting the iPad apps. Basically, every New & Noteworthy and What's Hot featured sections in the App Store are displaying the apps highest up on the alphabetical list instead of the featured apps. If it did change, though, let's hope they do J as well
08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewse View Post
Yes, that means it's also affecting the iPad apps. Basically, every New & Noteworthy and What's Hot featured sections in the App Store are displaying the apps highest up on the alphabetical list instead of the featured apps. If it did change, though, let's hope they do J as well
Ok! J it is but I'm sure iTunes will have this all figured out in bout a day or two.

FreeAppTracker.com free daily apps, rankings, & contests!
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
#5
Move along people nothing to see or read here!!

1 2 25 #1 in Entertainment both lists

Absorb Water also on both lists in ( Medical )

Definitely not a glitch everything is perfect. No changes required!

Keep your heads down and move to the nearest exit!

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
#6
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Move along people nothing to see or read here!!

1 2 25 #1 in Entertainment both lists

Absorb Water also on both lists in ( Medical )

Definitely not a glitch everything is perfect. No changes required!

Keep your heads down and move to the nearest exit!
That'll boost the downloads
08-18-2010, 11:55 PM
#7
When this new format of iTunes first came out, Apple used this format in many countries except the US if I remember correctly. Numbers and A's first

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
#8
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Actually, this has been going on for well over a full day now. I can't understand why Apple doesn't do something about it.

In a few cases, some of the stores worst spammers are getting featured!

If you go to (for example) What's Hot in Board Games show by featured and look at the first 12 apps, and then go down to "All Board Games" show by Name - you will see precisely the same 12 apps!

Amazing.

I am tempted to rename all my apps with the prefix 000.
08-19-2010, 06:26 PM
#9
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 103
There are even more glitches now, and you can read about them here: https://devforums.apple.com/message/280284#280284