★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Big Bad Sudoku Book [Now Universal]

08-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Big Bad Sudoku Book [Now Universal]

Twitter : [@John_Hasio]
iPhoneHellas Review Team member
08-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Nice! Been waiting for this to go universal ever since Pluto6 told me it was possibly the best Sudoku app out there.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

08-19-2010, 08:13 AM
I love Sudoku so just picked this up.

Visually it looks great but I'm finding it extremely unintuitive to use and there is no help whatsoever that I can find - why does it cover the screen in light yellow squares when I rub my finger over the board for example?! No clue! And there's a weird scoring system - how does it work?! No idea - they don't say.

Finding this very frustrating to be honest - I would say that this is by far the least user friendly Sudoku app I have - but possibly the best looking!

Jamie.
08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
Finding this very frustrating to be honest - I would say that this is by far the least user friendly Sudoku app I have - but possibly the best looking!
Jamie.
ahh ok
i've stuck with enjoy sudoku which is definately not one of the best looking but the most user friendly, so i think i'll give this a miss for the moment.

btw why does it say ipad only ?

Stop viewing Signatures
->editoptions->Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"->Uncheck "Show Signatures"->Scroll down, hit "Save Changes"
08-19-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the link above is the iPad edition? Doesn't look like the one I bought, anyway! That first screen is nowhere to be found though it looks lovely.

Jamie.
08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmanj View Post
I love Sudoku so just picked this up.

Visually it looks great but I'm finding it extremely unintuitive to use and there is no help whatsoever that I can find - why does it cover the screen in light yellow squares when I rub my finger over the board for example?! No clue! And there's a weird scoring system - how does it work?! No idea - they don't say.

Jamie.
Jamie, I love this Sudoku app!

There are some highlighting that occurs, and I don't remember them all. But like you can press and hold a number and it will highlight all the numbers. Work with it a bit - I think I got detailed instructions on the UI when it first came out because of issues, but is now second nature. The scoring is new so I don't know how it works. If you search for the first thread on tis, there is probably some good info there. I certainly don't want people getting this on my recommendation and not being happy, but I think it's the best I've tried. Difficulty is much better now, and more consistent.

I have found a bug though. On challenge mode after the first 3 or 4 puzzles, I am having to beat it twice to unlock the next one. I mentioned this in iTunes review. I'll check it out on iPhone too, as I love it on iPad, and it may play different on iPhone.

I'll get back to you. Also post or PM me if I can help you with the interface, I'll do my best to explain since I think I understand it pretty well.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok tried on iPhone. A veer different game. There is a help screen on iPad not ptresent in iPhone.

I think the yellow boxes are a bug, but does not affect anything. If you press and hold a square you'll get a highlight the way it's supposed to work, or highlighting a number shows all numbers.

One of the things I love about the iPad version is the pencil marks, and it is different in the iPhone version. I'm not sure for the better either. I'll have to play with it a bit

To use a pencil mark, tap the little nub under the number, and the mark will appear, or disappear. The large X will erase the large number, and the space under the large X will erase all marks in the highlighted cell.

Just checked - the pencil marks still work good.

For instance, you do all your own pencil marks, the get frustrated and want to see the all correct pencil marks. Pressing the "reveal true marks" will show you those, but then you want To go back toyour own marks, press the hide true marks, but then you'll also need to press the "show my marks" and you pencil marks will be back. I think this Sudoku apps has the best pencil mark system because it let's you work the computer marks but also maintains a separate data for your pencil marks. Everyone else also merges these. Also, if you have pencil marks, and you enter the "final" number, and the find you need to erase the big number, your pencil marks will be back. The "smudge" effect with erasing a large number is purposeful.

Um, I thinktjis should help. Let me know if it does not.

08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Ok tried on iPhone. A veer different game.
Meaning not as good, eh? That's disappointing to hear.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Meaning not as good, eh? That's disappointing to hear.
After playing a bit, not bad just different. The interface is not as intuitive but due mostly to screen real estate. Pretty easy getting used to this.

And it appears the yellow highlighting is actually on purpose to let you soft highlight a cell to concentrate on ( or cells) while you are working on another. So one has to be bait careful about just dragging your finger around.

So please tell me what you think. The biggest thing that would be helpful is something that explains the UI , but it is growing on me.

08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
How does this compare to Sudoku - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sudoku/id284921427?mt=8

I tried the lite version of that and it seems nice but this looks good, is universal, and a buck cheaper. I've gotten some pretty crappy Sudoku apps though and one thing I hated about EA's sudoku app was that you couldn't disable the animations.

So, any comparisons?

Apps iLove: iBooks, Podcasts, Tweetbot, Reeder, Instapaper, SoundHound, MLS Live
Games iLove: Real Racing 2, Minecraft, Fieldrunners 2, Great Big War Game, FIFA 12
GameCenter: PeterM11