★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is apple cheating devs out of good stars or are they just slow?

03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Is apple cheating devs out of good stars or are they just slow?

I recently noticed that the reviews on some games should give the game a higher average rating. For example alpine racer has 5 reviews with a total of 13 stars given. 13/5 equals an average of 3.25 but the average rating is 2.5. Alpine racer lite has 19 reviews for a total of 69 stars and that should be an average of 3.6 stars. So is apples math off or are they just slow with updating?
03-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo View Post
I recently noticed that the reviews on some games should give the game a higher average rating. For example alpine racer has 5 reviews with a total of 13 stars given. 13/5 equals an average of 3.25 but the average rating is 2.5. Alpine racer lite has 19 reviews for a total of 69 stars and that should be an average of 3.6 stars. So is apples math off or are they just slow?
When deleting off the device, you can rate it without leaving any comments.
Especially happens on lite versions where people try it for 30 seconds, delete it and give it a 1 star

When people delete an app from their ipod, they are given the option to rate it a certain number of stars. Apple does not display these reviews, but they count to the overall rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lombardo View Post
I recently noticed that the reviews on some games should give the game a higher average rating. For example alpine racer has 5 reviews with a total of 13 stars given. 13/5 equals an average of 3.25 but the average rating is 2.5. Alpine racer lite has 19 reviews for a total of 69 stars and that should be an average of 3.6 stars. So is apples math off or are they just slow with updating?
no because when you delete your app from your phone they asked you do you want to rate this app before deleting. i think the bad star came from the people who rate from the phone

can someone buy me a zen bound
03-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Ohh well I still think they should be posted as a review I mean it's someones opinion.
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I always thought that was a bad idea. If you are deleting the app, you probably didn't like it. So most reviews on deletion will be negative. As an app developer I find it really frustrating. Sure, it's possible you loved the app but you are done with it for now and making room for new apps, but I don't think that happens nearly as often.

Also, (and yes I have submitted a bug to Apple on this) I really hope Apple fixes the fact that your review defaults to 1 star if you write it on your iPhone/iTouch. I've gotten plenty of great reviews where people obviously love the game but gave it 1 star. I think you should have to choose a rating, not just have a bad rating by default. Grrr.

Last edited by RegularStormy; 03-06-2009 at 07:44 PM.
03-06-2009, 08:08 PM
The default is No stars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularStormy View Post
I always thought that was a bad idea. If you are deleting the app, you probably didn't like it. So most reviews on deletion will be negative. As an app developer I find it really frustrating. Sure, it's possible you loved the app but you are done with it for now and making room for new apps, but I don't think that happens nearly as often.

Also, (and yes I have submitted a bug to Apple on this) I really hope Apple fixes the fact that your review defaults to 1 star if you write it on your iPhone/iTouch. I've gotten plenty of great reviews where people obviously love the game but gave it 1 star. I think you should have to choose a rating, not just have a bad rating by default. Grrr.
03-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I deleted some old games the other night and when given the choice to rate them, I give them all fair scores, it's a good way to get as many votes as possible without having go sign into itunes and type a review, but I can see how some will abuse it and give a 1 star rating to something because it crashed the first time they played it.

3D modelling, design and sequential artist / GameCenter ID: Diab
03-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandheldGames View Post
The default is No stars.
I think you missed my segue. The default is 1 star when you write a review for an app by going to the app's page in the app store and choosing to write a review.

That is different than being prompted to write a review after you delete an app, in that case the default is 0 (which actually doesn't let you click on "rate" until you choose a star rating). I'm just saying it should work the same way when you actually write a review.
03-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes, that's very annoying--and I'm just a gamer, not a dev. Apple ought to set the default to either no stars (force you to enter a rating) or three stars (an average).