★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fake reviews by a top 10 developer... so angry

08-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Fake reviews by a top 10 developer... so angry

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/eivaagames/id365717059

Check this guy out. All his games have such fake reviews, especially the "3d pool game hd" title that is doing so well.

Listen to these review titles on "3d pool game hd":

Really nice game: maureen cahill

"Great physics, really attractive graphics. I have other pool games also but this game is so catchy and addictive to play. Great work.

Really nice game (again): hectordomaine

I am totally disagree (what?) with "moshe p", as he said it's difficult to use. I don't think so, the controls are very user friendly and very easy to use. All the modes are innovative and the features are nice. I have the iPhone version also, and its really nice thats why I bought the iPad version also". (He has a habit of dismissing other people's bad reviews, as I shall show later).

Best: strejlauson

One of the best pool game on iPad. Fun to play. I love the time trial mode.

The defining point of praise in his reviews is almost always the "addictiveness", the fact that it is the best of it's kind and that the graphics are "beautiful". Now see the wonder of the same reviewers posting the same kind of reviews in his other games, "Carrom 3D" and "Doodle Boom"

Doodle Boom:

"Awesome" : veteran.robbins

"Great game" : snow.storms

"Amazing!!!" : gaming.freak (I like the shamelessly similar word.word based usernames :P )

Carrom 3D:

"This game has a pretty good game-play" : veteran.robbins (what a lolworthy title)

"An amazing game must have" : snow.storms

"Best carrom game" : gaming.freak (note the continuation of the "best of kind" praise)

The icing on top of the cake:

"I love it" : Farelle

"Some people said this game is crashing (multiple reviews challenge this obvious fact in the same page )... its running very smooth on my (iOS4) iPhone 3G device (LOOOOOOOL).

"Great game" : Heiner jar

"People with bad review are STUPID" (DEVELOPERS WHO FAKE REVIEWS ARE CHEAP!)

Chusin55, a real reviewer, complains of freezing in the menu, saying
"do not buy". So, to do a little damage control, here comes a word of wisdom from newtouchnemesis

"I think chusin55 may have jailbroken his device, because of that, may be unexpected thinks can comeout (?)... I think he or she just jealous of it".

This is an unbelievably rude thing to do! You NEVER insult your customers! Frankly, I could go on and on about the similarities, but I don't have the patience.

Now here comes my dilemma: to report him or not? I don't want to take away a livelihood, but at the same time it is so infuriating to see people cheating others out of money.

What are your thoughts?

Nonetheless, AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Last edited by Jack Shiels; 08-21-2010 at 07:46 AM.
08-21-2010, 09:32 AM
What a douche....still this is arguable. I personally think the dev is just being a dick but theres always the possibility of it being someone else

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.

08-21-2010, 11:42 AM
And this is the perfect example of why you'd be an idiot to pay attention to App Store reviews. Over half the reviews are unreadable, some idiot complaining that it won't work right when they never restarted, or are shills. The only reviews you can trust are the ones off of the App Store, almost always on sites dedicated to app reviews.

And I don't condone shilling at all, but it's become such a rampant problem that there's no way to stop it.
08-21-2010, 01:34 PM
If you should happen to report this developer, believe me when I say that the consequences will be minimal at best. You are in absolutely no danger of "taking away a livelihood." The sad truth is that this sort of thing happens all the time, in many industries. People frequently buy and sell reviews, as well as purchasing large numbers of their own product, to make it look more attractive than it really is. Every once in a while, it's punished. The vast majority of the time, it is not.

I don't condone this sort of thing at all, nor do I have respect for anyone who cheats their way to the top. However, the only thing that you can really do about it is make great games and advertise them in honest ways. There are already far too many people on these boards who spend their time letting everybody know that they are terribly indignant... sometimes over nothing important. The only thing that comes of it is that the entire board ends up looking a little less professional. :\
08-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Wow. That's shameful. If you have to put fake reviews for your game you know you failed. Good games don't need fake reviews to stay highly rated. Report him quick.

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV
08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I think you should report them. I went through all of their apps, and on every app the same names show up saying how amazing and addictive it is. Also another dead give away, quite a few of those are "Am I giving it 5 stars". The amount of repetition in the reviews and the repeating users is enough proof.

Openfeint ID/Plus+/AC2 MP: Bahgett
Gamecenter: Hamburger Time
08-21-2010, 03:37 PM
That's why I quit reading reviews. TouchArcade is my source of information.

No more buying crap apps... lol
08-21-2010, 04:15 PM
You would be an idiot to not review your own game. You work on something for sometime and obviously are proud of it. You only have a few tools available to you as a developer in this market. If your review brings an additional eye to it what is the difference in running an ad? Have you ever seen an ad that was like "our game kind of sucks, but we blew alot of time making it and need to fool you into recouping the cost..."

And - WTF are you going to 'report'? This thread and threads like them are *STUPID*...
08-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
You would be an idiot to not review your own game. You work on something for sometime and obviously are proud of it. You only have a few tools available to you as a developer in this market. If your review brings an additional eye to it what is the difference in running an ad? Have you ever seen an ad that was like "our game kind of sucks, but we blew alot of time making it and need to fool you into recouping the cost..."

And - WTF are you going to 'report'? This thread and threads like them are *STUPID*...
To this extent? Is your game that crap you need to lie and deceive people in order to make sales? Try getting some skills or GTFO and find a different business to fake your way to the top in.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Report them if you must but this isn't the first or last time things like this will occur. Haven't you heard of Hollywood movie studios displaying fake reviews by fake film critics on their movie posters? Ever watch late night TV infomercials for that must have steal of a deal $19.99 product? You want to regrow hair? Buy this product! Business deception has been going on since the beginning of time. The saying goes there is a fool born every minute...

I mean I never read into any App Store reviews anymore. I leave my decision making up to actual game play videos on YouTube and sites like this. App Store reviews are pretty much a joke and there are too many immature posts that make them mostly irrelevant IMHO.

1) Tried out AT&T tethering and did not have enough money for the pole.
2) Apple still hasn't fixed the no-hardware-keyboard bug.
3) Still can't use the "Cut" function on the AT&T bill...current 4.x issues