★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Scoops, a fun diversion

10-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Scoops, a fun diversion

http://appshopper.com/games/scoops

It's like a stripped down version of topple with ice cream (This game came out way before Topple). It's a great time waster especially when you're waiting for the slow ass barista to make your drink. It used to be $0.99 but now it's free (for a limited time).

Dudehuge recommends!

Last edited by dudehuge; 10-19-2008 at 09:00 PM.
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
My friend showed it to me a while ago and I was debating whether or not to spend my precious 99 cents on it. Luckily I don't have to make that choice anymore, but it's still a great game.

10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I have to agree it is a very good game, simple yet fun.
10-20-2008, 01:32 AM
It's a simple and fun game.

But they used an automatic translator for translating to German. The help screen (and nearly every other text) is non-understandable.

I really don't get why developers do this.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-20-2008, 02:56 AM
I learned a valuable lesson while playing this game: fruits and vegies are bad for you. Cool game though.
10-20-2008, 03:26 AM
In fact, here in Berlin we have a mobile icecream maker. You can bring in whatever you want and he makes icecrem of it. Also of vegetables. I never tried it, but some vegetables should taste real good as icecream.

--
taptoplay.de

10-20-2008, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
some vegetables should taste real good as icecream.
Cabbage sunday's anyone?
10-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Nah....glad I didn't pay $1 for it. Fun for like 3 mins then that's about it. Nice graphics though. I'm sure some little little kids might enjoy it though.

One thing I thought of is when I almost caught an onion because it looked like a white scoop of French Vanilla. Tilt reflexes saved me though.

We need someone to bring Jungle Speed to iPhone. Basically it's bunch of cards with different colors and many shapes. Many of the shapes are very similiar but not quite. I betcha 2 to 4 people could play on iphone. Everyone taps to flip over their card and if there is a match shape wise first to tap wins. Loser has to take discard pile of winner. However, many accidentally tap in rush to beat opponent since so many of the cards have similiar shapes but not exact matches and if they do make a mistake they must take everyones cards. There are other rules won't bore ya though. And in this game first to grab totem so many bloody knuckles and fingernail scratches occur. iPhone version maybe broken glass who knows.
10-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
Nah....glad I didn't pay $1 for it. Fun for like 3 mins then that's about it. Nice graphics though. I'm sure some little little kids might enjoy it though.
That's the problem - if you could call it a problem. I'm in no way against "casual" games and I love many of them on the DS, but 80% of the iPhone are too much casual in that you play them for 1 minute (!) and your are through it. You get the gameplay, the game idea, see everything from the game and are already tired from it. I don't think that those games suit the platform well. They have a low replay value, they don't challenge you and it's just a waste of time playing these. They are nice for a minute. The first minute. Then they sit on your iPhone and will never be played again. Numba, Lux, Fuzzle and Block Breaker are also casual games, but they challenge you and you can achieve things in these games.

I'm tired of these small games.

Even the mini games in Mario Kart for the DS are more fun and challenging than most of the iPhone mini games.

--
taptoplay.de

10-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
That's the problem - if you could call it a problem. I'm in no way against "casual" games and I love many of them on the DS, but 80% of the iPhone are too much casual in that you play them for 1 minute (!) and your are through it. You get the gameplay, the game idea, see everything from the game and are already tired from it. I don't think that those games suit the platform well. They have a low replay value, they don't challenge you and it's just a waste of time playing these. They are nice for a minute. The first minute. Then they sit on your iPhone and will never be played again. Numba, Lux, Fuzzle and Block Breaker are also casual games, but they challenge you and you can achieve things in these games.

I'm tired of these small games.

Even the mini games in Mario Kart for the DS are more fun and challenging than most of the iPhone mini games.
Totally agree with you. I'm feeling that as soon as anything is free, people are happy and satisfied without continuing to have any expectations. Please, if people has bought Scoops for the $.99, they'd be screaming that it was a horrible, boring, and repetitive game (unless it's for your 5 year old child). But once it's free, it becomes what a great free game. Just like iBaseball and other free apps, there's no point to them. They just take up space, and waste my time. I'm all for free apps and we should be happy when games like Trace and JellyCar come out as they are great, original and bring some type of value to the iPhone/Touch. Scoops, not so much. I tried it because if was free, played it for 30 seconds, and been deleted and won't be coming back on my device any time soon...