★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Link's Awakening, Wario Land, Spyro...

08-22-2010, 02:02 AM
#1
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Link's Awakening, Wario Land, Spyro...

Hello! I'm new to this forum, so probably have a bit of a stupid question. I was looking through my old Gameboy/PS1 games, and come across all the games I used to really, really love when I was a child. Stuff like Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, Wario Land 4, Spyro Year of the Dragon etc. etc. Most of the stuff I've been buying off the App Store has been mostly 'puzzle'/'lo fi' (for what of better words) kind of games. Can anyone point me into games that I might enjoy, that are perhaps similar to the games (or types of games) I've listed above?

Many thanks
08-22-2010, 02:15 AM
#2
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro View Post
Hello! I'm new to this forum, so probably have a bit of a stupid question. I was looking through my old Gameboy/PS1 games, and come across all the games I used to really, really love when I was a child. Stuff like Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, Wario Land 4, Spyro Year of the Dragon etc. etc. Most of the stuff I've been buying off the App Store has been mostly 'puzzle'/'lo fi' (for what of better words) kind of games. Can anyone point me into games that I might enjoy, that are perhaps similar to the games (or types of games) I've listed above?

Many thanks
My suggestions:
Minimae • Classic RPG
Crusade of Destiny • 3D RPG
Zenonia 1&2 • RPG
Frogatto • 8Bit Platformer
Rolando 1&2 • Puzzle-Platformer

Start with these and you're off to a good start

If these aren't up your alley, tell me and I'll revamp my list!

08-22-2010, 03:14 AM
#3
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 735
if you were a fan of Mario try Gravity Runner, thats quite retro-nostalgic with a slightly different spin on gameplay.
08-22-2010, 04:02 AM
#4
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: the 56th realm of existence
Posts: 5,948
no, gravity runner is nothing like mario. soosiz is pretty neat though, and is my fave platformer on the appstore

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
08-22-2010, 05:03 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak56 View Post
no, gravity runner is nothing like mario. soosiz is pretty neat though, and is my fave platformer on the appstore
Giana Sisters is closer to Mario tho
08-22-2010, 06:54 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,272
Get Across Age.

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
08-22-2010, 07:00 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 764
What about Bounce On/Bounce On 2?

Username on every gaming network I'm on: kaboom132. I have tested 21 games. Will test your game if you wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I think I was high when I typed that. My apologies.
08-22-2010, 07:18 AM
#8
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 8,376
Im'a gonna weeeeen.

Invaders Must Die.
08-22-2010, 02:08 PM
#9
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
Posts: 510
Based on other user comments, I'm updating my list:

Minimae Classic RPG
Crusade of Destiny 3D RPG
Zenonia 1&2 RPG
Frogatto 8Bit Platformer
Rolando 1&2 Puzzle-Platformer
Bounce On 1&2 Platformer
Soozis Platformer
Babylonian Twins Puzzle Platformer
Giana Sisters Platformer (literally a Mario clone from the 80's)
Toy Bot Set Puzzle Platformer
Gomi It's Katamari in 2D!
Adventures of Archibald Puzzle Adventure
Glyder 1&2 (2 is better) Flying Adventure Sim
Hook Champ Swinging Platformer
Super QuickHook Swinging Platformer
Chop Chop Ninja Action Platformer
Plunderland Pirate Plundering Adventure
Grokion Action Platformer (think Super Metroid)
CHAOS RINGS Epic Turn-Based RPG Adventure (my fave iPod game ever)

-Gravity Runner is a great game, but it's not like Mario. It's a high-score running game with a twist on gravity.
-Across age is a good RPG, but in honesty Zenonia is just plain BETTER.
08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Holland
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROFACES View Post
Based on other user comments, I'm updating my list:

Minimae Classic RPG
Crusade of Destiny 3D RPG
Zenonia 1&2 RPG
Frogatto 8Bit Platformer
Rolando 1&2 Puzzle-Platformer
Bounce On 1&2 Platformer
Soozis Platformer
Babylonian Twins Puzzle Platformer
Giana Sisters Platformer (literally a Mario clone from the 80's)
Toy Bot Set Puzzle Platformer
Gomi It's Katamari in 2D!
Adventures of Archibald Puzzle Adventure
Glyder 1&2 (2 is better) Flying Adventure Sim
Hook Champ Swinging Platformer
Super QuickHook Swinging Platformer
Chop Chop Ninja Action Platformer
Plunderland Pirate Plundering Adventure
Grokion Action Platformer (think Super Metroid)
CHAOS RINGS Epic Turn-Based RPG Adventure (my fave iPod game ever)

-Gravity Runner is a great game, but it's not like Mario. It's a high-score running game with a twist on gravity.
-Across age is a good RPG, but in honesty Zenonia is just plain BETTER.
Zenonia is ok but Inotia 2 is far better and if your adding normal rpgs to dont forget crimson gem saga