★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Minimalist Shooter is a free shooter game for your iDevices. The game play is very simple, use tilt control to navigate your 'ship' around the screen. Pick up missiles, explosives and other powerups to destroy as many purple squares while racking up your combo. The game includes a leaderboard and achievements powered by OpenFeint.

* Includes iPhone4 (retina display) optimised graphics.
08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Game Impressions

Not bad for a screensaver. (Actually you need to tap only one time at start.) And NOT easy. My first tries didn't last much longer than a minute but I'm getting better.

Spoiler Alert! If I'm not mistaken it seems that the orange furious "dot catapults" (will appear later in some rounds) is the mightiest weapon followed by the red, blue (or are the blues the best?), yellow, green and white (activate sometimes delayed) ones. So look for them in this order what can be called the strategic part of the story. And that's not so easy because the explosions are dense and it's hard recognizing & keeping track of your little white comet-like starship. Not enough: The floating weapons show a tendency to disappear after a while…

Love the minimalistic approach. Adequate sounds not bad too. Controls are working fine here for me on iPhone 4/iOS 4.0.2 because you need to accelerate and maneuver fast later in gameplay if you want a high score. You have to get a feeling for the weapon's behaviour.

@ devs: Thanks for the freebie! A pause button wouldn't be bad but you can ban it to multitask bar via home button (on selected iDevices) and resume later. Will pick up Minimalist Shooter again for sure.

Edit: Okay couldn't resist and iHabakuk world rank #1 after ten tries or so. For the time being. Okay the game is very new and there are twelve competitors @ OF. There are 12 achievements too—150 points for "Play 1,000 games (!) or more".

Funny minimini war. Spoiler #2: A combo of blue weapons clears the screen reliably of the enemies. For a while. For a very short while.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 08-23-2010 at 10:17 AM.

08-22-2010, 05:48 AM
You had me at "(by the dev of Critical Wave) FREE"

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Requires iOS 4.0 or later.
NoOoOoOoO!

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
08-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Hmm. Downloaded on a whim last night, played once, deleted. However, now that I know it's from the Critical Wave developers, I will definitely give it another chance.

It's a very cool-looking game which plays a bit like Tilt to Live with old-school graphics.

It's free, so I know I shouldn't demand a lot from it, but the game could really use the following:

--tilt control calibration
--pause button
--instruction/menu screen of some kind

I'm hoping the developers plan to expand on the game, possibly in a paid version. I'll stay on the lookout.
08-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post
Hmm. Downloaded on a whim last night, played once, deleted. However, now that I know it's from the Critical Wave developers, I will definitely give it another chance.

It's a very cool-looking game which plays a bit like Tilt to Live with old-school graphics.

It's free, so I know I shouldn't demand a lot from it, but the game could really use the following:

--pause button

I'm hoping the developers plan to expand on the game, possibly in a paid version. I'll stay on the lookout.
Sounds okay, but what's up with that icon?

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
08-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey guys,

I'm one of the devs of critical wave (the programming guy). Minimalistic Shooter (MS) was a 1 day project I worked on a few weeks ago. Imagine my surprise when I saw a thread dedicated to MS on TA 8).

The aim of MS was to create a little tech demo that used tilt control, instead of touch. Along the way, a variety of weapons, with Tilt-to-Live-like mechanics got added (great game btw ), sounds, graphics upgrades, even a rudimentary combo system (score = kills * pickups, with a timer on the time between pickups). It was starting to look like a game (albeit very minimalistic), so I decided to do the proper thing and add OpenFeint support, retina graphics, and get it out on the AppStore.

So that's the story really. We'll be adding tilt control to a future release of critical wave. It will make the game better playable on the iPad and provides a fresh experience for iPhone/iPod Touch owners.

Btw, the reason for the iOS 4.0 requirement is because iOS 4 exposes the iPhone 4's retina capabilities (which only got introduced in 4.0). There's ways to circumvent this requirement, but that'd take a little more work/time, which really wasn't the point of this excercise

Btw#2, I suck at icon design. :P

Tip: Make weapon pickups your primary goal. It will boost combos. Be quick to sustain your multiplier!

@Guise: I'll add the features you suggested. Any ideas on how to visualize tilt calibration?
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM
[/QUOTE]@Guise: I'll add the features you suggested. Any ideas on how to visualize tilt calibration?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting! Not sure about visualization--the games I've played with tilt control that have really nailed it are Tilt To Live and Superblox. Superblox in particular is really easy to use; there's a calibrate option onscreen and in the pause menu that takes care of pretty much everything.

Really impressive work for a 1-day job, and thanks for being so responsive. Keep up the good work.
08-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Cool I hope to see retina added to critical wave.

Add me on GameCenter (and every other network!) my user ID is kushykush on all of them!
08-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guise View Post

--pause button

you know, the only thing that bothers me about this post is, what if this game were from a different developer that hadn't built up a reputation? You probably wouldn't have given it a second chance. It may have been a decent game, but since there was no reputation built up, they didn't get a chance. I'm not trying to rag on you in particular, or anyone for that matter, it's a just something that worries me, and something I've seen in my time here. There are lots of games/devs with potential, but they are unable to succeed because they don't get a chance. Well, I'm not trying to change the world here, just pointing out something that I don't particularly like. Don't take offense to this, as I have done it too, but it's actually pretty sad that it happens at all. Sorry for my little rant.

Playing:|Roboto|Cordy|QuBit|Amazing Breaker|Awesome Saucer|Groove Coaster|Gesundheit!|
Favorites:|PoP:WW|Infinity Blade|World of Goo|Phoenix|Danmaku|PewPew2|Alien Space Retro|Battleheart|Gears| LGR2|iDaTank|PvZ|ME|To-Fu|Anodia|Lego HP|Fruit Ninja|I Dig It 2|Soosiz|