★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Heat Shield - space flight game

03-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Heat Shield - space flight game

Heat Shield is my first iPhone game. I developed it using the Torque 2D engine from Garage Games.

Features:
  • A unique combination of tilt and touch based gameplay not possible on any other platform.
  • 10 Missions on different planets and moons in our solar system.
  • 6 real spacecraft, each with unique handling.
  • Tutorial mission teaches you how to control your craft and complete mission objectives.
  • Online leaderboard.

Trailer on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzPlZVYMho

Youtube link | Pop Up

Screenshots:

http://blackmarketgames.com/heatshield

Click here to get Heat Shield on iTunes ($1.99)

Last edited by salsamd; 03-06-2009 at 11:18 PM.
03-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forums and congrats on releasing Heat Shield! How'd you come up with the concept? It seems pretty unique and very physics oriented.

03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
so... you're flying ships within circles?
03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Big Albie - Thanks for the welcome. The concept really evolved out of the restrictions of using the Torque engine for iPhone development. I had originally planned to make a shoot-em-up (here's a video of the work-in-progress: http://vimeo.com/2571061) however I found that Torque just wasn't fast enough to handle that many colliding objects on screen at once.

So I scrapped that design and came up with a new game, which had to have fewer moving objects and collisions. I also decided to switch to tilt as the main control scheme because I felt that keeping a finger on the screen for player control was obscuring the graphics too much.

Kamazar - The circle indicates the 'optimal trajectory' that you need to keep your spacecraft on to make a safe landing. If you stray off that circle for too long you start to overheat. Also if you miss the countdown buttons or press them too soon you can fail the mission. It gets quite tricky later on when you have to keep your craft on target and also time the multiple button presses.
03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
Welcome to the forums and congrats on releasing Heat Shield! How'd you come up with the concept? It seems pretty unique and very physics oriented.
I love the idea as well, very unique and original game. Well done
03-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Well I've learned my first lesson in iPhone development. My game has Apple's date of approval as its release date - not the date it became available on the store (which was one week later, to allow for some paperwork to be completed). Which means it shows up on page 5 or 6 of the games lists on iTunes, and of course, nobody is noticing it.

I will have to ensure my future games get released the very same day Apple approves them in order to actually sell any copies!!!
03-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Looks cool. Nice work.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I really like that you scrapped the idea. Too many shooters on the App Store so far and this game looks not only unique, but fun. Cannot wait to get it!
03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Brazilian Rider - It's very hard to just scrap something after you've been working on it for months, but I think it was the right thing to do in the end. Hopefully this game will have more of a unique appeal. It certainly runs faster than the shooter I was making anyway :-)
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I think you made a great decision. I've always wanted a game that "simulates" re-entry. Now I have a viable, creative, good-looking, and intuitive option.

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!