Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
iPad

Default Reiner Knizia's Samurai (v1.12 Multitasking, Universal)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Looks very interesting!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
iPhone 3G

I like the online multiplayer aspect.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Let me quickly repost something I'd stated in the upcoming thread on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Got in some of my first online games this weekend and, GOSH DANG, does this game have buckets of polish and panache!

I mean, not even getting into the brilliance of the RK game design, but the actual stuff that Conlan has designed around it with player rankings, push notifications when it is your turn, ability to create your own list of game buddies (complete with detailed stats on each of their online careers in the game), being able to see at a moment's notice which tiles you and your opponent's haven't played yet as well as the current idol count in the game (just in case you're coming back to a game after a few days or have several games running concurrently). Heck, in this regard the game even keeps a written history of all moves made so far in the current game so you can come back up to speed that way as well.

Now, back to the RK game in question, this one is a hoot with so much strategy within the strategy. The key to success in this game is only exerting just enough influence to win, and even then not being tricked into a big influence showdown with your opponents if you could simply let them take a given idol while you lay the ground work to snag up three others they're not even paying attention to. This also is made trickier, as only RK can do, in how the game counts both the game ending (there are at least 4 or more ways a game can end) and winning conditions. As you may have already seen there are three different types of idols so if you are in a game that you know is nearly over getting that fifth warrior idol, no matter how easy it might be to pull off at the moment, doesn't really do you any good if you already are well ahead of everybody in warrior idols. As a matter of fact the game only cares about who has the most in each of the three categories and, if a tie, it will be broken by the number of idols you have in your NON-WINNING categories. So getting that fifth warrior would be meaningless whereas getting another peasant idol, even if not getting you anywhere close to winning in the peasant category, could prove far more useful in the end.

Be afraid, be VERY afraid (just not of me as I still suck wind at the game)!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Hell yes. Downloading now with my painfully slow connection. This will be epic.

Edit: Sweet icon!

Last edited by Egoyan; 08-22-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 AM

If only I had $1 for every $1 I want to spend on apps...then I'd still be poor, since all my money would go to iTunes. Sigh.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

cool! post here if anyone has any questions
Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Well, this looks awesome.

I think it's the only Knizia game with online multiplayer, and with push at that. Geez, I don't want to buy another game, but this is hard to resist.

You are tearing me apart App Store!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by conlan View Post
cool! post here if anyone has any questions
I've never played this or any other Knizia game except for Monumental. What is the calling card for his games? They seem to run the gamut of many different styles.

As for this one, does it have one board/map or are there different ones? And what is the gameplay like? Is it more Risk, Carcassonne, or something totally different?
Old 08-22-2010, 09:34 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

this one is fairly deep, and was originally a board game published in 1998. here's more details about the original board game: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3/samurai

the goal is to capture figures by placing tokens next to them and different tokens influence different figure types, it's definitely closer to Carcassonne than risk.

there's a core map for 2 players, and more islands are added for 3 and 4 player games

Last edited by conlan; 08-22-2010 at 09:38 AM..