★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Xylo Ball!!!

03-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Xylo Ball!!!

Hi All,

We've just released Xylo Ball, a musical memory game where you repeat melodies on musical instruments. Strike the instruments with Xylo the hamster by swiping the touch screen to roll him around. Tapping makes him jump for those harder to reach instruments. Rack up as many points as you can before time runs out! The quicker you complete a note in the sequence, the more points you earn. Great fun for all ages!

We're planning several updates so please let us know your thoughts. Thx!

Youtube link | Pop Up

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306867646&mt=8

-Greg MacDonald

Last edited by salsamd; 03-08-2009 at 02:18 AM.
03-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Looks interesting, not my type of game though.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc

03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi Donburns99,

Thx for checking it out! Was it the art style you didn't like? If so I was thinking of adding different environments for more variety. Like a space level where Xylo bangs into colored planets. Or maybe a little town where the roofs play notes.

I can understand though that some people might not want to pretend to be a hamster trapped in a toy box playing musical instruments for cupcakes. Especially if they've just eaten a cupcake.

-Greg
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
perhaps a lite version? as with all games I like to try before I buy!
03-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Hmm, that's an idea. I'll have to think about how to lighten it.
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannygames View Post
Hi Donburns99,

Thx for checking it out! Was it the art style you didn't like? If so I was thinking of adding different environments for more variety. Like a space level where Xylo bangs into colored planets. Or maybe a little town where the roofs play notes.

I can understand though that some people might not want to pretend to be a hamster trapped in a toy box playing musical instruments for cupcakes. Especially if they've just eaten a cupcake.

-Greg
The art style is fine, it just seems too simple.

Perhaps it's because you're in such a confined space with nothing else to offer, I've never really noticed this being a problem in other games. New environments and maybe bigger environments would help a lot I think.

It looks like it'd be a lot more fun if I was younger, but I wouldn't see myself playing it right now.

Quote:
I can understand though that some people might not want to pretend to be a hamster trapped in a toy box playing musical instruments for cupcakes.
That is also a good point, that may be part of the reason also.

There needs to be something appealing, right now I feel as if the appeal is somewhat lacking.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I'm sorry if I do. ^ ^

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Hi Donburns99,

I originally had a larger level, but I was worried that people would spend too much time navigating around and start to forget the melody. That might not have been a valid concern though.

I'm looking for honest input right now, so I'm grateful for your thoughts. If people think there's not enough to do or it feels cramped, then those are things I can work on. But if it's just not an appealing concept to everyone, then I've misunderstood the target audience and I'm better off developing a new idea or revamping the gameplay entirely.

I was thinking of adding collectibles, like jelly beans or peppermints. Jelly beans would be fore extra points. Peppermints would make you bigger and heavier for a short period and able to move obstacles around. I'd have to make a larger level for that though.

-Greg
03-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannygames View Post
Someone please delete this post for me. I was trying to reply to a private message and somehow I ended up doing this.
Chill. It's not big deal. Just an accidental post.

I've got to wonder, though, why choose the name Granny Games? I keep imagining this old woman with glasses that could fry an ant playing a knitting game on the iPhone *shudders*
03-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Chill. It's not big deal. Just an accidental post.
Yeah you're right. I'm not used to forums.

Quote:

I've got to wonder, though, why choose the name Granny Games? I keep imagining this old woman with glasses that could fry an ant playing a knitting game on the iPhone *shudders*
She's a hip granny. She has an iphone and she programs her knitting machine from patterns she download off the internet. She would love a knitting app.

Well, I wanted to create a brand of casual iphone/touch games that are both unusual and appealing to everyone. I didn't want to focus on the usual gamer; you know - male - likes explosions and polygonal boobage... So I picked a name that would remind me what kind of game to make, and also to keep things from getting too serious.

So that's it. After we whip xylo into shape from your suggestions, I'm planning on a basketball game to balance out the super cuteness that xylo brings. That won't happen for months though.

-Greg